Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd August 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd August 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd August 2020

Post by frog222 »

EXCLUSIVE: Get off my land! Furious farmer reveals Boris Johnson 'climbed over his fence to set up 8ft tent WITHOUT permission and lit a dangerous campfire before fleeing Highlands holiday cottage'... leaving his MINDERS to clean up
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nsula.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And now for some alternative ‘reality’ —
“” Mr Johnson and his family were staying in a small cottage, and slept in a tent in the garden.

The secluded getaway marked the first break for Mr Johnson since the coronavirus pandemic took hold.

But bodyguards have sent the Prime Minister home over fears for his safety as the location of the holiday home was published.

Speaking to The Sun a source close to Mr Johnson said: “They had been camping in the garden of the cottage but the security threat was too much.

“The tent could be spotted by a sniper from too far away(( ! )) for them to stay after the location was published.” “”
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13260 ... e-minister" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I see the photo of the cottage and tent and in my minds eye I see Cummings smirking in the No 10 rose garden. Maybe just me.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

frog222 wrote:
EXCLUSIVE: Get off my land! Furious farmer reveals Boris Johnson 'climbed over his fence to set up 8ft tent WITHOUT permission and lit a dangerous campfire before fleeing Highlands holiday cottage'... leaving his MINDERS to clean up
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nsula.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And now for some alternative ‘reality’ —
“” Mr Johnson and his family were staying in a small cottage, and slept in a tent in the garden.

The secluded getaway marked the first break for Mr Johnson since the coronavirus pandemic took hold.

But bodyguards have sent the Prime Minister home over fears for his safety as the location of the holiday home was published.

Speaking to The Sun a source close to Mr Johnson said: “They had been camping in the garden of the cottage but the security threat was too much.

“The tent could be spotted by a sniper from too far away(( ! )) for them to stay after the location was published.” “”
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13260 ... e-minister" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting, perhaps, that the Mail report is less than totally flattering......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]EeIGp3e8nNk[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:I see the photo of the cottage and tent and in my minds eye I see Cummings smirking in the No 10 rose garden. Maybe just me.
There are signs that "doing a Cummings" is now passing into vernacular in some places.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

What could possibly go wrong ?

Deloitte gets another huge COVID contract – for ‘crazy’ plan to test millions each day
Operation Moonshot could be the biggest NHS privatisation in history, and civil servants are shaking their heads in disbelief. Adam Ramsay

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/deloit ... -each-day/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Again, where have a few of our regulars been today......
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

So who is that looks at companies like Deloitte (who I thought were just an accountancy firm...) and thinks "Yep, we really need a middleman between the NHS and the companies doing the testing"?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

In other news, timing, as they say, is everything...
Patchwork Foundation
@UKPatchwork
Congratulations to
@GavinWilliamson
of the
@Conservatives
for being nominated by the public for our 2020 #MPoftheYearAwards!
Vote for our People's Choice MP now: https://buff.ly/2X1eUKL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Voting closes at midnight on August 31st!

Kindly sponsored by
@kpmguk
:D
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:So who is that looks at companies like Deloitte (who I thought were just an accountancy firm...) and thinks "Yep, we really need a middleman between the NHS and the companies doing the testing"?
ROT -- once upon a time they WERE an accountancy firm , but now it's largely consultancy and other sundries . The 'auditing' business is a waste of national resources, but a useful cash cow for the Big Four and a few others --
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The Eleven Plus is so last century, Cummings&Co now want to get "data" on your four-year olds !
From September 2021, the government intends to apply a ‘baseline’ test to every child in their first half term at school. The test requires children to answer numeracy and literacy questions posed to them in a one-to-one session with a teacher. There has been no consideration given to children who might be shy, or to the fact that the Reception year starts at 48 months for children born on 31 August and at 60 months for the children born on 1 September in the relevant school year. Each child will be asked the same questions, in the same way, regardless of calendar age, or whether they speak English as a first language or not.

The aim of the test is to allocate a single numerical grade to each child that reflects their ‘school readiness’. This number will then be plotted on a graph, where it will remain ‘blackboxed’ until the child has progressed through the system to the Year 6 statutory assessment test (SAT), taken in the spring of the final year at primary school. A trajectory will then be plotted from the child’s baseline score to their performance on the Year 6 SAT. The government’s intention is to use cohort collations of the baseline to Y6 SAT trajectory as an ‘accountability’ measure, to compare the effectiveness of individual teachers and schools.
https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/slaves-t ... t-in-line/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, what fucking measure of effectiveness could we possibly apply to Gove, Cummings, and their fellow devotees of measuring Other Peoples' "effectiveness" ?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Photos for sky.

Bow Fiddle rock, the photographer, and some of the nearby scenery. I took these with a 4-y-o Sony compact, good enough imo.
Glenfinnan tomorrow maybe. Click to enlarge.

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Thanks gilsey, those are great. Looks like it was a gorgeous day up there. I love the flowering heather going almost all the way down to the shoreline.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]jXtKESEZQLg[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]4vaIBZCLUQU[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]-pJz0KcQm8g[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Good morning all, anything happening?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Again, where have a few of our regulars been today......
warriors need their sleep
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Again, where have a few of our regulars been today......
warriors need their sleep
Hope you feel better for it!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I do feel better.
Thank you, AK.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Children will not be "harmed" by not being physically in school. What is it with this ridiculous, over the top language?
Can't we just say the aim is to get children back to school safely because it's in their best interests?
My daughter hasn't attended school regularly for the last two years. All my efforts to help her be positive about her different path through life are not helped by thoughtless politicians insisting her not being physically in school is actively harming her.
Leaving children without an education is what's harmful, which is exactly what will happen if schools open with no preventative measures and end up closing again without alternative online learning plans in place because of outbreaks and need for isolation which hasn't been properly planned for.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coronavirus in Europe: dozens of Berlin schools report infections
To be fair to Chris Whitty, what he says about the risk of death from covid-19 in children being extremely low is fair enough. What this skims over, however, is risk to teachers and also the risk of disruption and chaos from sudden school closures.

All people want from this government is some genuine attempts to prevent school outbreaks with smaller classes, more space, face masks - anything really, even just extra cleaning money. Plus proper, consistent, nationwide plans for how children can continue to get an education while isolating for two weeks or if there's a local lockdown.

Media should be asking Chris Whitty why the UK isn't following any of the WHO recommendations for schools (bar staggered lunches, but even that's more in theory than practice).
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ooh, this is a tough one...
Why can’t the Government find more conservatives to run public bodies?
With a few exceptions, ministers are continuing to fill public appointments with people who are not in any way recognisably conservative

TOM WELSH
Maybe because there is a significant proportion of Tories that despise the public sector and want it either cut to shreds or farmed out to the private sector.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tee hee...

As I've just pointed out, Dan Hannan didn't understand PHE's legal status either...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Nick Cohen
@NickCohen4
Conspiracy theorists never understand that successful newspapers follow their readers. It's not such a hard idea: all businesses give their customers what they want. The fact that the Mail is turning on Johnson tells me that opinion is shifting in Tory England
2:14 PM · Aug 23, 2020·Twitter for Android
Interesting...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not totally convinced by the argument, and rather less by the person saying it.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Tee hee...

As I've just pointed out, Dan Hannan didn't understand PHE's legal status either...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgD3I6pWkAA ... ame=medium" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So Cummings wanted emergency legislation to take control of an entity that already reported to Matt Handcock .

The Attorney General wasn't aware of any of this ? But then ...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Glenfinnan