Tuesday 25th August 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 25th August 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 25th August 2020

Post by frog222 »

DT jr's "Church Work and School” of course reminded me of Petain.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/do ... transcript" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was a lot of rousing stuff in the extracts on R4 earlier … and some (unfortunately!) good points, such as opposition to NAFTA and TTIP .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/a ... yers-claim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.
rofG
@ProfG101
Replying to
@theAliceRoberts
It was clarified on
@BBCr4today
this morning. PHE is “very much looking at responding to school’s [covid19] issues in the same way we responded to care-homes”. Thinking face
Very reassuring...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Twitter had reminded me that on this day in 1973 I was at Lords with my old man to see England vs West Indies...and it was interrupted by a bomb scare.

Two things - 47 years ago??!! Crikey...

And for those of an age, bomb scares and actual bombings were a relatively common occurrence back then. People didn't panic at some threat level being raised and just went about their daily lives as normal.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Apparently York is off the table then...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/m ... d-22573411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Twitter had reminded me that on this day in 1973 I was at Lords with my old man to see England vs West Indies...and it was interrupted by a bomb scare.

Two things - 47 years ago??!! Crikey...

And for those of an age, bomb scares and actual bombings were a relatively common occurrence back then. People didn't panic at some threat level being raised and just went about their daily lives as normal.
I can just about remember that myself, and what you say is largely true.

But the actual bombings (as opposed to just "scares") of non-military targets the following year did lead to a significant upsurge in anti-Irish sentiment.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

See below
Last edited by GetYou on Tue 25 Aug, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Can't really get bothered about these things either way, tbh. Its his lies about important things we should focus on.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

The problem is that the people who's opinions of him need to change don't seem to care about any types of lie he comes out with.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Someone tweeted that the difference between the US and the UK is that Trump fans don't recognise that he's lying, whereas over here we know they're lying and they know we know they're lying.

Johnson fans don't mind being lied to, they think it's a great joke.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Anyone keeping count?

Government to U-turn on masks in schools

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/government-to ... n-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It means staff and secondary school-age pupils will be expected to wear face coverings in schools in all places where social distancing can’t happen.

Pupils who cannot wear masks for medical reasons will be exempt, as will pupils in special schools.

However, it is not clear whether the requirement will be made statutory or enforced if schools opt not to follow it.

Current Department for Education guidance states that face coverings are not required in schools in England because “pupils and staff are mixing in consistent groups, and because misuse may inadvertently increase the risk of transmission”.
It doesn't take a genius to work out that primary and secondary schools are different...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Snap
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, this should be fun...
Education Committee
@CommonsEd
·
2m
On Wednesday 2 September we’re questioning Sally Collier, Chief Regulator, and Roger Taylor, Chair of
@ofqual
about this summer’s exam results.

We’ll be asking what about what went wrong, and how students are being supported.

Find out more here:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And the country's "strictest headteacher" has completely lost it over the masks issue...
Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
·
56m
They will be pulling at each other’s masks, repositioning their own masks constantly, bullying each other over choice of mask etc.

Add that to rise in chatter because teachers will not be able to hold kids to account for talking...

= poor environments for learning

and

Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
·
55m
Kids will wear dirty reused masks.

They will share masks.

They will spit in each other masks and lick them for a joke.

Has no one on twitter ever met a child?!

Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
·
52m
No. I am an expert at kids and schools. And I know them inside out.

Kids licking and spitting in each other’s masks, pinging masks across the room...

We deny behaviour problems in our schools but this is a lie.
I thought that pupils at her school were perfect angels but maybe she is talking about "all those other schools" which aren't nearly as good as hers.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:Someone tweeted that the difference between the US and the UK is that Trump fans don't recognise that he's lying, whereas over here we know they're lying and they know we know they're lying.

Johnson fans don't mind being lied to, they think it's a great joke.
I actually think a lot of Trump's devoted fans in the US know that he is, at the very least, taking the proverbial much of the time.

They just care about "triggering" his opponents more, that's very like a lot of Johnson support here too.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

As someone said Williamson 1 Ofqual 0...
Kate Ferguson
@kateferguson4
Confirmed - Sally Collier is standing down as Ofqual boss with immediate effect
3:11 PM · Aug 25, 2020·TweetDeck
Although I heard it suggested that Williamson was being kept on to take the blame for schools not fully reopening,
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote: Although I heard it suggested that Williamson was being kept on to take the blame for schools not fully reopening,
Well that's an interesting thesis, Starmer saying what he did a short while ago could yet appear prescient.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well, this should be fun...
Education Committee
@CommonsEd
·
2m
On Wednesday 2 September we’re questioning Sally Collier, Chief Regulator, and Roger Taylor, Chair of
@ofqual
about this summer’s exam results.

We’ll be asking what about what went wrong, and how students are being supported.

Find out more here:
Students aren't being supported, basically. Our school had people answering the phone on results day for just two hours and that's it. Phone turned to answer phone (no one back until 1st Sept) and e-mails not being answered since. My son didn't get a grade at all for French. I just want to understand why and find out why he can't take it in November, but couldn't get an answer. I also asked if someone from sixth form can meet him face to face as he can't talk on the phone because of his ASD but was told they were "discouraged" from doing so, whatever that means. I'm a bit worried not being able to have any kind of transition could lead to too much anxiety on the first day for him to be able to cope. I get everything is difficult right now because of covid (well covid + shit govt, to be precise) but school is difficult for him all the time, he can't just suddenly manage without support because it's harder to provide right now. I fear a lot of kids are going to be irreparably let down over the coming months.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:PorFavor?
Seems to be a bit of a night owl these days.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:And the country's "strictest headteacher" has completely lost it over the masks issue...
Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
·
56m
They will be pulling at each other’s masks, repositioning their own masks constantly, bullying each other over choice of mask etc.

Add that to rise in chatter because teachers will not be able to hold kids to account for talking...

and

Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
·
55m

They will share masks.

Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
·
52m

Kids licking and spitting in each other’s masks, pinging masks across the room...

I thought that pupils at her school were perfect angels but maybe she is talking about "all those other schools" which aren't nearly as good as hers.
All the teenagers I've seen in the local shop are just wearing a mask like everyone else. Adults constantly touch them too and why a child's mask would be washed less often than the ones worn by their parents who do the actual washing is beyond me.

I'm not especially pro-masks, but if it's thought beneficial for adults to wear them then surely teenagers should too? Because someone who has gone through puberty is biologically an adult. It's not like the virus can differentiate between people based on whether society thinks they're old enough to vote or go to the pub.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:And the country's "strictest headteacher" has completely lost it over the masks issue...
Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
·
56m

and

Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
·
55m

They will share masks.

Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
·
52m

All the teenagers I've seen in the local shop are just wearing a mask like everyone else. Adults constantly touch them too and why a child's mask would be washed less often than the ones worn by their parents who do the actual washing is beyond me.

I'm not especially pro-masks, but if it's thought beneficial for adults to wear them then surely teenagers should too? Because someone who has gone through puberty is biologically an adult. It's not like the virus can differentiate between people based on whether society thinks they're old enough to vote or go to the pub.
What Birbalsingh is doing, very effectively, is making an argument to keep schools closed whilst there is still a deadly asymptomatic virus we can't innoculate against or cure, because children simply cannot be trusted to not actively try to infect each other.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

thank you for the mocha, Constance
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

We are experiencing technical difficulties and are working to restore the service as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Last updated on Tuesday 25 August 2020 at 4:47pm

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deaths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Well, she's certainly not helping the government's attempts to assure parents their kids will be safe in school, at any rate! :)

Edited to clarify that was a reply to adam.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:---
Students aren't being supported, basically. Our school had people answering the phone on results day for just two hours and that's it. Phone turned to answer phone (no one back until 1st Sept) and e-mails not being answered since. My son didn't get a grade at all for French. I just want to understand why and find out why he can't take it in November, but couldn't get an answer. I also asked if someone from sixth form can meet him face to face as he can't talk on the phone because of his ASD but was told they were "discouraged" from doing so, whatever that means. I'm a bit worried not being able to have any kind of transition could lead to too much anxiety on the first day for him to be able to cope. I get everything is difficult right now because of covid (well covid + shit govt, to be precise) but school is difficult for him all the time, he can't just suddenly manage without support because it's harder to provide right now. I fear a lot of kids are going to be irreparably let down over the coming months.
(cJA edit)

I wasn't educated in the UK and don't have children educated here. I can't imagine having to deal with what many parents, children and educators are dealing with now under these circumstances.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Burbalsingh does have a very low opinion of those children ! Is it reciprocated ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Hopefully, yes.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Erm...what?
Harry Cole
@MrHarryCole
EXCLUSIVE: Former Oz PM Tony Abbott to be Britain’s new joint President of the Board of Trade in major revamp. Forthright Aussie to “bang the drum for Brexit Britain around the world” in shock signing:
Not content to have our own mediocrities in critical positions, we're now getting other countries' ones too!

Born in Lambeth though apparently.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Just freaked out a bit as I thought it was Saturday and couldn't understand why there hadn't been a thread for 3 days.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

From the G.
Parliamentary authorities have been accused of censorship after refusing to accept a charity’s petition highlighting non-Covid patients not receiving NHS care during the pandemic.

Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA) submitted the petition in June. It said that NHS England’s decision in March to restrict most normal care, so that hospitals could focus on the influx of Covid patients, “has meant access even to urgent diagnostic procedures and treatment for non-covid conditions has been severely restricted, putting lives at risk”.

But parliament’s petition team, which decides which proposals are hosted online, rejected AvMA’s petition, saying that reopening NHS services now that the pandemic has subsided is not a matter for ministers.

It said: “We can’t accept your petition because the UK government aren’t responsible for the issue you raise. This is an operational matter for the NHS.”
Nothing to do with Matty Hancock, then?

Hard to know which is worse.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Good spot.
Ant
@M0kujin
Replying to
@ABridgen
Why have you not said anything about Hague banning land of Hope and Glory from Tory conferences in 2001. You sang it every year until it was cancelled because of the jingoistic lyrics

It’s almost as if you don’t really care and you’re just manufacturing outrage for your idiots
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.businessinsider.com/dominic ... ?r=US&IR=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris Johnson plans to resign in 6 months because of lingering coronavirus health problems, according to Dominic Cummings' father-in-law
Not going to hang around to take all the credit for our post-Brexit trading triumph and second golden age?