Thursday 27th August 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 27th August 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 27th August 2020

Post by Willow904 »

We've had a surge of covid-19 cases locally, with outbreaks centred on pubs. I'm a bit nervous about the return to school now. Not that I'm suggesting teachers are major boozers. (Though C4's 'Teachers' does spring to mind for some reason :) ). I just hope masks do actually help and schools will be allowed to use them.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Liberal Democrats about to announce their new leader - how excited is everybody?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Heneghan said that canvassing returns and polling showed Corbyn was unpopular in key constituencies and so different campaign materials were needed that focused on the local MP or the Labour brand rather than Corbyn himself.

“This is not sabotage – it was the right approach to win as many votes and seats for Labour as possible. Targeted materials happen in every single election campaign. Our job as organisers is to make objective judgements on what is necessary to win a constituency, not go along with an Emperor’s New Clothes fantasy that the leader is popular in every demographic in every constituency.”
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 186e304d21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Now they've chosen Ed Davey, not excited at all.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

'Davey’s victory over Moran means the three biggest UK-wide parties are led by white men with seats in London, a fact which may not do much to realise the hopes all three have espoused to speak more effectively for the whole country.'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Davey was still arguably the better choice if you think the LibDems are mostly going to be targeting Tory seats and voters for the next few elections.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The only good thing about it is that it might put Johnson's nose (further) out of joint.
Rick
@FlipChartRick
So Labour and the Lib Dems have Sirs as leaders and the Tories have a plain old Mr. Who’d a thought it?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Aaron Bastani
@AaronBastani
Labour should adopt PR and federalism and say to the electorate, quite fairly, why bother with this lot.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Neither Davey or Starmer come anywhere close to Boris Johnson's level of privilege, though. Something the above comment doesn't really convey. Moran would have provided more diversity in terms of sex, sure, but that's it. She still belongs to that small, elite majority that attend private schools. We're still a long way from seeing a regular person of ability rise to the top of English politics similar to the likes of Nicola Sturgeon. To be frank, it's not a problem that can be fixed at the top because the pool of candidates are already far too narrow. Only a society that provides equal opportunities throughout life will see people of ability from all walks of life competing for top jobs and we are currently going in the completely opposite direction.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all. Went for a final walk this morning with 'er indoors before she has to stay indoors for 2 weeks.

Lots of hostility towards this nasty piece of work.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone said the graphics looked like sub-Dads Army - and the less said about the sneering towards "activist lawyers" the better...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And re the above, this just appeared...
The CBA
@TheCriminalBar
·
26m
This is an outrageous attack on the rule of law & lawyers who seek to uphold it. Act lawfully or face challenge.

It requires immediate condemnation by the Lord Chancellor
@RobertBuckland
&
@attorneygeneral

@SuellaBraverman
Fat chance getting Braverman to be on the side of the legal profession.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Harry Cole
@MrHarryCole
Astonishing really that the only major opposition leader now without a knighthood is Nigel Farage - the only one with any semblance of impact in the last ten years. Helped sway two general elections and a referendum. And the People’s Vote bros have the gongs.
2:03 PM · Aug 27, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
:lol:

What a dimwit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:Neither Davey or Starmer come anywhere close to Boris Johnson's level of privilege, though. Something the above comment doesn't really convey. Moran would have provided more diversity in terms of sex, sure, but that's it. She still belongs to that small, elite majority that attend private schools. We're still a long way from seeing a regular person of ability rise to the top of English politics similar to the likes of Nicola Sturgeon. To be frank, it's not a problem that can be fixed at the top because the pool of candidates are already far too narrow. Only a society that provides equal opportunities throughout life will see people of ability from all walks of life competing for top jobs and we are currently going in the completely opposite direction.
Well both Davey and Starmer actually have relatively modest backgrounds. And before them there was Ed Miliband.

If you think that is important in who the next Labour leader should be, though, then there is a fairly obvious choice......
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Paul Waugh pointed out that the Inst of Gov are usually very impartial.

Gavin Williamson should go too

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... uld-go-too" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instead, largely, there has been silence. That itself represents an evasion of the responsibility that has been his throughout. If there are no consequences for ministers when the performance of their department is found wanting, the system of democratic accountability that underpins government in the UK will be undermined. He should go.
Agreed - DfE performance over the last few months has been appalling.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Neither Davey or Starmer come anywhere close to Boris Johnson's level of privilege, though. Something the above comment doesn't really convey. Moran would have provided more diversity in terms of sex, sure, but that's it. She still belongs to that small, elite majority that attend private schools. We're still a long way from seeing a regular person of ability rise to the top of English politics similar to the likes of Nicola Sturgeon. To be frank, it's not a problem that can be fixed at the top because the pool of candidates are already far too narrow. Only a society that provides equal opportunities throughout life will see people of ability from all walks of life competing for top jobs and we are currently going in the completely opposite direction.
Well both Davey and Starmer actually have relatively modest backgrounds. And before them there was Ed Miliband.

If you think that is important in who the next Labour leader should be, though, then there is a fairly obvious choice......
I was kind of trying to say as much when I pointed out Davey and Starmer don't come from anything like Johnson's level of privilege. And in terms of going backwards, I was meaning more Cameron & Johnson, from Major, Blair and Brown. Along with a bit of exasperation that women from the same small pool of privately educated people are offered as some kind of triumph of diversity. I want to support sexual equality on the one hand but also want to see an end to the class divide, which can sometimes be tricky if only men seem able to cross it.

Which I guess is a long-winded way of saying I have mixed feelings about posh women in top jobs.

As for your obvious choice for next Labour leader, I'm afraid it's not so obvious to me.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Jimmy Stewart's daughter takes exception to Trump being compared to George Bailey...

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
As for your obvious choice for next Labour leader, I'm afraid it's not so obvious to me.
She's already half way there, as it were?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Angela Rayner?

I guess she's a possibility, I'm not sure obviously so, though.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The Home Office have said that 'activist lawyers' shouldn't have been used in that video.
Jonathan Portes
@jdportes
Update: Response from
@ukhomeoffice
PermSec to my complaint:

"I agree the phrase you quote should not have been used on an official government channel. I have made clear to the team this post should not be used again from Home Office accounts or anywhere else by civil servants."

Jonathan Portes
@jdportes
·
10m
Replying to
@jdportes
This was a very clear breach of the Government Communications Service Propriety Standards. The prompt reaction of the Permanent Secretary is very welcome. I hope comms teams/Press Offices in Home Office & other Depts take note, & this unacceptable behaviour is not repeated.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:Angela Rayner?

I guess she's a possibility, I'm not sure obviously so, though.
I admit to being a fan. And quite a few thought she should have run for leader earlier this year rather than her flatmate.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Seemingly rather alarming use of statutory instrument detailed in this thread:

Adam Wagner@AdamWagner1
It's that time again - new lockdown regulations

The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions on Holding of Gatherings and Amendment) (England) Regulations 2020

New £10,000 fines for holding raves *or* gatherings of over 30 people in private gatherings or public places /1
Not that I'm personally likely to accidentally hold a well-attended party, but this seems hugely out of proportion to the offense of celebrating a birthday during a pandemic.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is pretty sad news - my old man took up bowls when he retired as they built the A406 right through his golf course, and I watched a lot of bowls on TV. David Bryant was a legend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/bowls/53931692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The first political party to contribute to human evolution by selecting itself out of the gene pool and becoming extinct via its own actions.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -dem-event" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

A government shill writes...
Harry Cole
@MrHarryCole
EXC: Home Office forced to abandon deportation flight to Spain today for Channel migrants after all 23 were sprung by three law firms:
:toss:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

As one might expect from Chris Cook, this is good...

Accidents and A-levels

https://chriscook.news/normal-accidents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Surely Starmer's a regular person of ability risen to the top? He went to grammar school because he passed the 11-plus, so did I. Later his school went private and mine went comprehensive but they started from the same place. His first degree was from Leeds.

Layla Moran comes over to me as a significantly more interesting person than Ed Davey*, that's all, privileged or not. Did anyone else see her talking to Cathy Newman on C4 a few weeks ago? Moran was 20st and had bariatric surgery when she was 24, I'd say being prepared to front up and talk about that on national TV says something about her character.

*not a high bar
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote:As one might expect from Chris Cook, this is good...

Accidents and A-levels

https://chriscook.news/normal-accidents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very good.
If you do not have the information you need to award normal A-levels, do not try. Award something else. You cannot wish information into being.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Moran is definitely a more interesting person and politician than Davey. The problem is, that also includes "interesting" in a negative sense.

Where it is currently, the party really can't afford another Swinson-type disaster - its not hard to see why the "safe" option had some appeal.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Neil Henderson
@hendopolis
TELEGRAPH: ‘Go back to work or risk losing your job’
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

New COVID-19 infections are up, no effective national testing and Tory ministers threatening the population
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:
Surely Starmer's a regular person of ability risen to the top? He went to grammar school because he passed the 11-plus, so did I. Later his school went private and mine went comprehensive but they started from the same place. His first degree was from Leeds.

Layla Moran comes over to me as a significantly more interesting person than Ed Davey*, that's all, privileged or not. Did anyone else see her talking to Cathy Newman on C4 a few weeks ago? Moran was 20st and had bariatric surgery when she was 24, I'd say being prepared to front up and talk about that on national TV says something about her character.

*not a high bar
Yes, especially when compared to Johnson, which was the point I started with. The idea Davey,Starmer and Johnson are the same deliberately ignores the important ways in which they're different. Ways that are more significant than the ways in which a posh, privately educated woman like May is different from a posh, privately educated man like Cameron. It was the complexity of relative privilege and status that I was trying to comment on. It wasn't really specifically about Moran, more the idea in general that diversity has been accomplished by swapping a posh woman for a posh man, while the 93% or whatever it is who didn't go to a private school remain unrepresented that I have trouble with. To be clear, I would definitely consider Starmer as PM as a win against the upper classes and for regular people with ability.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love you, everyone.
Goodnight.
cJA