Monday 7th September 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 7th September 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 7th September 2020

Post by frog222 »

Eustice on Toady -- " higher food prices are fine if we get our freedom!"

( He didn't actually say that , but it was implied. Strongly.)

Nick Robinson not giving him an easy time --

" So on 'Australian terms', you could also say .... Mauritanian terms ? "

No clues from Adler or Kuenssberg on what 'concessions' from either side would look like .

8° , sunny !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Fishing history --
The acrimony of the debate has some echoes with the British entry negotiations to join the European Community 50 years ago, when the government was presented with a fait accompli on fishing.

Only eight hours after accession talks had begun on 30 June 1970, the British got an unwelcome surprise: the six EC members had agreed to have a common fisheries policy (CFP), hammering out a speedy deal that had eluded them for 12 years just as fish-rich Britain, Ireland, Denmark and Norway were knocking at the door.

“I think they knew quite well they had pulled a sharp one,” Sir Richard Packer, a former British official involved in entry negotiations in 1971-2, told the Guardian.

Fishing became one of the most poisonous issues of entry talks, leading British officials to doubt whether they would get enough votes in parliament to join the common market. (Norway rejected EC entry over fishing.) “The question of fisheries was economic peanuts, but political dynamite,” wrote the late Sir Con O’Neill, the UK chief negotiator, in his account of the talks from 1972.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... trade-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the article it's not completely impossible that a messy solution involving yearly haggling over quotas could be found ...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The question of fisheries was economic peanuts, but political dynamite
50 years and we can't move on, it's pathetic.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

From the G business live.
The current strengthening in the UK housing market is ‘unsustainable’, reckons economist Howard Archer of EY Item Club.
You don't say.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote:
No clues from Adler or Kuenssberg on what 'concessions' from either side would look like .

8° , sunny !
Kuenssberg is leaving BBC.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-06 ... -itv-news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Dmitry Grozoubinski
@DmitryOpines
Later this year, the last messages out of Europe before it is destroyed in a nuclear exchange between the UK and France over fishing rights will be tweets from me and @SamuelMarcLowe saying we think a trade deal is still the most likely outcome.
:lol!:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Admirably concise.
Robert Saunders
@redhistorian
4. Ultimately, Johnson can't swerve the choice on Northern Ireland. If the UK is outside the Single Market, there must either be checks in the Irish Sea or on the island of Ireland. If he legislates against the former, he'll get the latter. And God help the peace process. [ENDS]
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Government has no plan to reach its own climate target, experts warn

You don't say.

Right, I'm repeating myself so off to do something useful. Later.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:
frog222 wrote:

8° , sunny !
Kuenssberg is leaving BBC.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-06 ... -itv-news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
She may well be (there are certainly rumours to that effect) but you have just linked to a piece from 20*11* :shock:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The whereabouts of Laura K remains a mystery as far as I'm aware. After breaking electoral laws by revealing information about the postal vote before the close of polls on election day, I'm surprised anyone still thinks her fit to be a political correspondent anyway.

https://www.realitytitbit.com/bbc/where ... kuenssberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well there was that and uncritically reporting as confirmed fact a totally fictitious "assault" by a Labour activist on one of Hancock's aides.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
She may well be (there are certainly rumours to that effect) but you have just linked to a piece from 20*11* :shock:
Ha! I thought she looked young in the pic, should have checked.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So is the current "dead cat" threatening no deal to distract from the latest virus snarl-ups, engineering another virus mess to distract from the looming threat of no deal, or......??
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Willow904 wrote:The whereabouts of Laura K remains a mystery as far as I'm aware. After breaking electoral laws by revealing information about the postal vote before the close of polls on election day, I'm surprised anyone still thinks her fit to be a political correspondent anyway.
https://www.realitytitbit.com/bbc/where ... kuenssberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" The whereabouts of Laura K remains a mystery " !
She was on Toady this morning !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Whilst not as out of date as the previous link I cited, that was posted on Thursday ;)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Report back from grandsons of 11 and 13, and their parents teaching in secondary and lycée–

Masks are worn everywhere, except when actually eating in the cafeteria, and there is regular handgelling of course .

They’ve all got used to it, tho teaching language pronunciation is shit ! It would be far easier with a visor but the Authorities are inflexible, blast them.

Teachers wear them , even in the staff room, compared to this horrible experience from Anonymous Teacher–

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... MXCtiguy67" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;–c5A_1CCXaS4

I read it again . What an awful country you have if even teachers are so dumb.

In the whole of daughter's lycée one student was traced as a ‘contact’ , so is off in quarantine awaiting a test etc .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Peter Walker
@peterwalker99
2019-intake Tory MP Selaine Saxby tells the Commons that after observing Extinction Rebellion protests she has concluded they are “intent on disrupting society, rather than working together with this government". Well.... yes.
5:14 PM · Sep 7, 2020·TweetDeck
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oops.

Coronavirus: Positive test at Coalville school

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-54056155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A number of classes and tutor groups at a secondary school have been told to stay home after a staff member tested positive for Covid-19.

The Castle Rock School in Coalville, Leicestershire, said it was a "precautionary measure".

Prime Minister Boris Johnson visited the school on 26 August as it and others across the county reopened.

The school - which said it found out about the positive result on Sunday evening - said safety was "paramount".
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Another doctor, from an EU country, said they planned to return home as a result of the fiasco over high taxes levied on NHS doctors’ pensions and “the xenophobia and at least weekly mockery of my accent (from consultant colleagues and other staff),” adding: “I’m absolutely certain I’m making the right decision but also sad to be leaving a system that, despite all, still provides such great care. But I’m done sacrificing my mental and physical health for it.”
https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/710746 ... f-pandemic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bloody stupid forriners can't take a joke, anyway one less salary to pay, all going splendidly !
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Keir Starmer
@Keir_Starmer
·
14m
Tonight, Conservative MPs voted against putting into law the implementation of the Grenfell Inquiry Phase I recommendations.

A shameful dereliction of duty.
:roll:
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Keir Starmer
@Keir_Starmer·
14m
Tonight, Conservative MPs voted against putting into law the implementation of the Grenfell Inquiry Phase I recommendations.
What more could he do ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
Keir Starmer
@Keir_Starmer·
14m
What more could he do ?
It was for their action rather than as a comment on Starmer.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, who'd have thunk it?

Thread
See new Tweets
Conversation
Darran Marshall
@DarranMarshall
·
55m
Flag of European UnionFlag of United Kingdom #Brexit
Compare & Contrast....

January: Signed & Sealed.

September: Deal never made sense
#TomorrowsPapersToday
Darran Marshall
@DarranMarshall
#TomorrowsPapersToday

Small blue diamondNovember: Boris Johnson reveals that every Conservative parliamentary candidate has personally pledged to vote his #Brexit deal through the House of Commons.

Small blue diamondSeptember: Deal never made sense.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

david allen green
@davidallengreen
·
24m
Johnson personally re-negotiated this withdrawal agreement.

He put it before the electorate at a general election, and he won an overall majority

He put it before the House of Commons, and he won a majority

He boasted of it as 'oven-ready'

This is *his* agreement

He owns it
Normally this would be a resigning matter but this is Boris we're talking about. If his party don't look at this and think "Bloody hell, we're toast with you in charge" then there really is no hope for them.