Wednesday 9th September 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 9th September 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 9th September 2020

Post by Willow904 »

So, we can't gather in groups of 6 or more people apart from all day, every day, in work and school.

This needs proper explanation, basically. Not a late night, rushed announcement that seemed more aimed at knocking other certain news items off the agenda rather than actually trying to control the virus.

Where does this leave pubs and restaurants, clubs etc? People who have to make decisions about these things are just left scratching their heads.

Meanwhile the government's plans for an internal market remain illegal whether we talk about it or not.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:So, we can't gather in groups of 6 or more people apart from all day, every day, in work and school.

This needs proper explanation, basically. Not a late night, rushed announcement that seemed more aimed at knocking other certain news items off the agenda rather than actually trying to control the virus.

Where does this leave pubs and restaurants, clubs etc? People who have to make decisions about these things are just left scratching their heads.

Meanwhile the government's plans for an internal market remain illegal whether we talk about it or not.
You can't have a birthday party for your child - not even a picnic gathering in the park - with more than 6 people in total, but are perfectly safe in a 'bubble' of 200+ people inside, sharing equipment and not socially distancing
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:Meanwhile the government's plans for an internal market remain illegal whether we talk about it or not.
I think we all need to remember that when people say 'WTO rules' they don't mean 'WTO rules', they mean 'We will be able to write our own rules and do exactly what we want'.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Chorus of people on Radio4, all saying "it's not clear what we have to do" , then hancock came on and the radio went off .
When the novel coronavirus emerged, Dr. Abdoulaye Bousso, director of Senegal’s Health Emergency Operation Center, said the government began drawing up a contingency plan as soon as the World Health Organization declared an international public health emergency on Jan. 30.

When the country had its first positive case two months later, President Macky Sall immediately imposed a curfew and restricted travel between Senegal’s 14 regions. The country ramped up testing capacity quickly, creating mobile labs that can return results within 24 hours – or as quickly as two hours in some cases, Bousso said.

Sall’s government also made a dramatic promise: Every person who tested positive would have a treatment bed, whether they had symptoms or not. That kept patients away from home, where they might transmit the virus to family members.

“We saw at the beginning that if you do that, we can very rapidly stop the transmission,” Bousso said.

Photo --
Senegalese Red Cross volunteers distribute food to people who are under a 14-day quarantine because they had been in contact with confirmed cases of the new coronavirus, at a hotel that has been taken over as a quarantine center, in Dakar, Senegal Sunday, April 19, 2020.
Sylvain Cherkaoui, AP

Another small but significant step: Every day, an official from the health ministry delivers a grim update, disclosing the number of new infections, how many people have been cured and how many have died.

“If we have six people who died, we say it. If we have one person, we say it,” Bousso said. The aim is to be fully transparent, to keep people mobilized and to counter any suggestion that the virus is not a serious threat, he explained.

Shannon Underwood, an immigration lawyer from Seattle who moved to Senegal with her family two years ago, said the government's response has been impressive, if not perfect. Underwood said it's been "bizarre" to watch the U.S. response from afar, adding that she would much rather be living in Dakar.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... 659696002/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

My badminton club was due to restart next week, but I suppose this is now off, unless we break the rules in a very specific and limited way.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Lee Hurst
@LeeHurstComic
Funerals are exempt from the new no more than 6 people being allowed to gather rule.
Good news for me as I launch my new “Hire A Corpse For Your Gathering“ service.
Drag a dead body around and avoid the £100 fine by hiring a corpse for just £20 a day.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Meanwhile the government's plans for an internal market remain illegal whether we talk about it or not.
I think we all need to remember that when people say 'WTO rules' they don't mean 'WTO rules', they mean 'We will be able to write our own rules and do exactly what we want'.
It's the same mentality as confusing freedom of speech, the right to say what you want, with the right to say what you want without consequences.

Every action we take has consequences. The rules we agree with other parties is an attempt to make those consequences foreseeable and mutually beneficial.

Therefore any unpicking of those rules increases the possibility of unforeseeable and unfavourable consequences.

If 'no deal' is negative for the UK it will be because we undid rules that were beneficial and failed to replace them with new rules that were also beneficial. Even if you believe we would benefit from a new relationship with the EU, there is literally no reasoning for choosing to not choose the terms of that new relationship, which is what 'no deal' is. It's the opposite of "writing our own rules and doing exactly what we want".

Sometimes I fear Orwell's brilliant '1984' has been less of a warning and more of an instruction manual because more and more I'm hearing that black is white and white is black yet my stubborn eyes refuse to see anything but the objective truth and what an unhappy place that is to be.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Labour need to think through the current line about getting Brexit done. Reeves:
This govt should stop posturing and start negotiating so we can get a deal, get Brexit done and move on.
The same from Starmer yesterday. Talk to the Swiss about 'moving on'. It will never be done.
Bad enough the govt continually trying to pull the wool over our eyes, honesty from Labour would serve us better.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

It's OK - God says you can't catch covid-19 in a church!
Archbishop of Canterbury
@JustinWelby
After contact with Government we hear that there is no change to guidance on places of worship. Worship is the work of God - not a social gathering - and gives the strength to love and serve.
:wall:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

adam wrote:
Can't see too many countries wanting to do deals with someone who makes up their own rules as they go along.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

GetYou wrote:It's OK - God says you can't catch covid-19 in a church!
Archbishop of Canterbury
@JustinWelby
After contact with Government we hear that there is no change to guidance on places of worship. Worship is the work of God - not a social gathering - and gives the strength to love and serve.
Latest Auckland cases due to church gathering.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Certainly, Extinction Rebellion seems to be rattling the establishment. After the print works blockade, the Prime Minister Boris Johnson had to jump to the defence of the ‘free press” and even the Labour leader Keir Starmer eventually condemned their actions.

Some commentators even characterised them as “terrorists” showing they had touched a nerve. But the Writers Rebel event has drawn the many people’s attention to 55 Tufton Street for the first time, and the blockage encourage discussion of the role of newspapers in climate change denial.
https://bylinetimes.com/2020/09/08/tuft ... -evolving/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh dear, Keir .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:Labour need to think through the current line about getting Brexit done. Reeves:
This govt should stop posturing and start negotiating so we can get a deal, get Brexit done and move on.
The same from Starmer yesterday. Talk to the Swiss about 'moving on'. It will never be done.
Bad enough the govt continually trying to pull the wool over our eyes, honesty from Labour would serve us better.

The point is, this is why loads of people voted Tory last year - the "done" bit was actually as important IMO as the "Brexit" bit.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

frog222 wrote:
Certainly, Extinction Rebellion seems to be rattling the establishment. After the print works blockade, the Prime Minister Boris Johnson had to jump to the defence of the ‘free press” and even the Labour leader Keir Starmer eventually condemned their actions.

Some commentators even characterised them as “terrorists” showing they had touched a nerve. But the Writers Rebel event has drawn the many people’s attention to 55 Tufton Street for the first time, and the blockage encourage discussion of the role of newspapers in climate change denial.
https://bylinetimes.com/2020/09/08/tuft ... -evolving/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh dear, Keir .
XR were included, along with islamist terrorist and the far right, as part of the Prevent strategy in schools.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

@ adam --- Wow, didn't imagine that !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Johnson apparently even worse at today's PMQs than he was last week, if that is possible.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

From a quick look at the LB 12.37
"" Johnson says he wants to protect the Good Friday agreement. To do that he needs to protect the UK from “extreme or irrational” interpretations of the withdrawal agreement. Such an interpretation could put a border down the Irish Sea ""
Mind-boggling stuff ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

From AS
Speaker condemns government for not announcing new Covid restrictions to Commons
Sir Desmond Swayne (Con) makes a point of order criticising the government’s decision not to make a Commons statement about the new Covid restriction. He says Matt Hancock could have announced this yesterday.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker, says he is sympathetic. This is “really not good enough”, he says. He says he has written to the government to complain.

I think the total disregard for this chamber is not acceptable.

He goes on again to say that disregarding the Commons like this is “not acceptable” and that he wants Hancock to apologise.
Well, we all know why it was rushed out last night...good to see a Tory annoyed about it though. Think backbenchers are getting a little fed up with the high-handed attitude of the executive.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And rushed out in a typically chaotic and confused way. Even now there isn't clarity about important points.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Wigmore Hall
@wigmore_hall
·
10m
We have asked DCMS to clarify what the government's announcement on gatherings means for the Hall’s proposed small socially distanced audiences. When they get back to us, we will let everybody know. We assume that like places of worship we will be exempt, but wait official word
Yes, like other venues they've only just announced a programme for the autumn - now what?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Johnson apparently even worse at today's PMQs than he was last week, if that is possible.
If Johnson was trying to give the impression that he neither knows or cares how testing is going, he did a great job.

Starmer has sometimes got a bit cross when Boris gets evasive or downright untruthful but there was an uncomfortable undercurrent to today's PMQs that hasn't been there before of actual abdication of duty. Johnson isn't just failing to get a grip, I don't think he's even being briefed on current urgent developments, not based on today's performance. It's worrying.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:---
...more and more I'm hearing that black is white and white is black yet my stubborn eyes refuse to see anything but the objective truth and what an unhappy place that is to be.
(cJA edit)

Same here
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Johnson apparently even worse at today's PMQs than he was last week, if that is possible.
If Johnson was trying to give the impression that he neither knows or cares how testing is going, he did a great job.

Starmer has sometimes got a bit cross when Boris gets evasive or downright untruthful but there was an uncomfortable undercurrent to today's PMQs that hasn't been there before of actual abdication of duty. Johnson isn't just failing to get a grip, I don't think he's even being briefed on current urgent developments, not based on today's performance. It's worrying.
The telling moment was perhaps after Starmer's final question, when the PM went on a blatantly obviously pre-prepared rant about Brexit. He had clearly expected most if not all of KS's output to be about that and was totally lost when it (surprise!) wasn't.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

GetYou wrote:It's OK - God says you can't catch covid-19 in a church!
Archbishop of Canterbury
@JustinWelby
good lord
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
The point is, this is why loads of people voted Tory last year - the "done" bit was actually as important IMO as the "Brexit" bit.
It was a lie then and it's a lie now.

I just think Labour should give themselves a tiny bit of wriggle room, for when increasing numbers of people start to realise the awful truth.

Awful for the get-it-done people, that is, not for the rest of us. Nothing this govt is doing can't be undone in terms of the single market/customs union, down the road (a long way!).
I'm not in favour of rejoining, FTAOD.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote: If Johnson was trying to give the impression that he neither knows or cares how testing is going, he did a great job.

The telling moment was perhaps after Starmer's final question, when the PM went on a blatantly obviously pre-prepared rant about Brexit. He had clearly expected most if not all of KS's output to be about that and was totally lost when it (surprise!) wasn't.
If he was as unprepared on COVID as he was for Starmer's line not being Brexit, then he's learning nothing.

Dereliction of duty indeed.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sparrow.
most recent prime ministers would have ensured that, if they were going to go into the chamber to face questions about why thousand of Britons could not get tests for a pandemic virus, they would at least know why. Gordon Brown would have been up all night researching reagent supply chains. Tony Blair would have sat down for a tutorial with the CMO, as if he were in a barrister’s chambers. Theresa May would have delivered the death stare to officials unable to provide a coherent gloss on the PHE statistics. David Cameron would have grasped the nub of the problem and rehearsed a word-perfect explanation. And Margaret Thatcher? God help any minister or official unable to supply an answer to the most detailed question about what went wrong.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Even without preparation you'd think Johnson would be at least as aware of problems with testing as his own MPs.

What's concerning to me is this 17m tests already done (and presumably paid for). Ignoring Russia, that really is the highest in Europe, as Boris said and yet....people advised to get a test can't get one and we're not on top of outbreaks. It seems to me the tests we're paying for aren't doing what we want from them - they're not available when needed and aren't contributing to controlling the epidemic. I think Starmer has touched on something here that needs pursuing, and urgently.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Labour Party
@UKLabour
13m
Other countries know their workers still need targeted help to get through this crisis:

Flag of Australia - Furlough to March 2021
Flag of Ireland - Furlough to March 2021
Flag of Germany - Furlough to December 2021

Over 4 million UK jobs are at risk when furlough ends in October.
The Government must change course.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

For sheer brass neck this takes some beating...

Paul Waugh
@paulwaugh
NEW. No10 seems to have a brand new excuse for
@BorisJohnson
backing out of the Brexit deal he signed up to: it was written too *quickly* for all the details to be sorted.
2:20 PM · Sep 9, 2020·Twitter Web App
:lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Labour Party
@UKLabour
15m
Over four million people still need furlough to make ends meet through this crisis.
Tory MPs just voted to cut support.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Gimson's PMQ's --
Boris Johnson was sitting on the Treasury bench, and smiled and nodded gently as the Speaker exploded with fury at the absent Hancock. The Prime Minister’s demeanour was that of a schoolboy who finds it amusing that one of his chums is being given six of the best.
https://www.conservativehome.com/thetor ... minsk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Did we miss this yesterday?

The mysterious resignation of Simon Clarke

https://www.lgcplus.com/politics/lgc-br ... 9-09-2020/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the face of it Simon Clarke’s shock resignation as local government and regional growth minister yesterday has plenty for the conspiracy theorists to get stuck into.

The timing of it - just two days after the Sunday Papers were full of briefings on the government’s devolution and reorganisation plans that Mr Clarke was overseeing - suggested perhaps he had overstepped the mark and upset someone in Number 10.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Did we miss this yesterday?
https://www.lgcplus.com/politics/lgc-br ... 9-09-2020/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the face of it Simon Clarke’s shock resignation as local government and regional growth minister yesterday has plenty for the conspiracy theorists to get stuck into.
The timing of it - just two days after the Sunday Papers were full of briefings on the government’s devolution and reorganisation plans that Mr Clarke was overseeing - suggested perhaps he had overstepped the mark and upset someone in Number 10.
If his departure genuinely is for purely personal reasons, then the sector is probably safer to assume government policy has not changed (even if the most eloquent proponent of the policy is no longer in place). If there is more to it, it could be a further indication that "greatest decentralisation of power in our modern history" is not nigh.

By all accounts those who met with Mr Clarke over the past six months were impressed with his commitment to the cause and understanding of the issues. Whatever the reason for his departure the consensus is Mr Hall has big shoes to fill.
Hmm, not sure how decentralisation Of Power fits in with the Mekon Cumming's aim of concentrating it in his Mission Control ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Boris Johnson lets rip another demented monologue in Commons John Crace
MPs from both side look on in bewilderment at Boris’s turkey of a withdrawal agreement
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... in-commons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now he was going for broke with Operation Moonshot. By Christmas everyone would be able to give themselves a daily test and then people could do what they wanted. Think of it like a pregnancy test, Boris said. Though hopefully with fewer positives than he usually got. Hell, theatres could even do tests on the whole audience and just allow in those who were negative. It was a completely bonkers piece of pantomime.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

frog222 wrote:Boris Johnson lets rip another demented monologue in Commons John Crace
MPs from both side look on in bewilderment at Boris’s turkey of a withdrawal agreement
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... in-commons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now he was going for broke with Operation Moonshot. By Christmas everyone would be able to give themselves a daily test and then people could do what they wanted. Think of it like a pregnancy test, Boris said. Though hopefully with fewer positives than he usually got. Hell, theatres could even do tests on the whole audience and just allow in those who were negative. It was a completely bonkers piece of pantomime.
Not for the first time, Keir tried to talk Boris through the basic format. He got to ask the questions and the prime minister was obliged to answer them. Or not. “The government can’t even manage a basic level of incompetence,” Starmer said. Johnson assumed the Labour leader had made a slip of the tongue and had meant to say “a basic level of competence”. But Starmer had it right first time. Just a basic level of incompetence would be a vast improvement on what the government was currently delivering.
:lol:

I actually thought Starmer said "the government lacks in confidence" at first, which would have been an even bigger misspeak. Confidence is literally all Boris has.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

NWS Bay Area
@NWSBayArea
1h
11AM GOES17 geocolor imagery shows a very thick multilevel smoke deck over much of California.
This smoke is filtering the incoming energy from the sun, causing much cooler temperatures and dark dreary red-shifted skies across many areas.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Bill McKibben
@billmckibben
31m
My friend @RevJSS
sent this graph of solar output from his Bay Area home. The sky is so filled with smoke today that the sun barely registers
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

An ITV photographer called Paul Kingston has been retweeting terrifying pics from San Francisco.

https://twitter.com/PaulKingstonITV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Did we miss this yesterday?

Maybe he thought they actually wanted to level up the regions. Silly boy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:An ITV photographer called Paul Kingston has been retweeting terrifying pics from San Francisco.

https://twitter.com/PaulKingstonITV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr citizen & I wept
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

We met in San Francisco
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Tim Walker
@ThatTimWalker
For all that they may say, Johnson and his desperados know a @JoeBiden victory will shift the world back towards law and order and that will leave them looking isolated and exposed. It’s the last thing any of them want.
It's not the despair, it's the hope I can't stand.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

[youtube]L4DkztDjlak[/youtube]
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Qanon-- we'll be seeing more of those ..... but for now, NN !
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Zack Exley
@zackexley
This is actually what it looks like at 11:30am in SF and most of the west coast I think. Why isn’t this the lead story all over the place? Why aren’t climate groups occupying newsrooms in protest for ignoring this and other climate change symptoms?

Well if obstructing the despatch of newspapers gets you labelled organised criminals in the UK, god knows what would happen to protestors in the US.

Look at the photo.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear, this won't go down well in certain quarters...

Jonathan Portes
@jdportes
Have to feel a bit sorry for
@K_Niemietz
here. Spends all his time here mocking naive lefties who claim "real socialism hasn't been tried".

Then wakes up 4 years late to realise he's been fooled just as badly (as sensible free marketeers told him then)
:D

PTO
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Wed 09 Sep, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.