Friday 11th September 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 11th September 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 11th September 2020

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

'Er indoors was safely delivered into the hands of the Royal London earlier. Don't agree with this silly o'clock getting up mind.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Office for National Statistics (ONS)
@ONS
Our latest estimates show GDP was up by 6.6% in July compared with June, with all sectors up on the month http://ow.ly/mZCZ50BnNUw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Steve Bell on the 'moonshot' testing plan
jimmyalex
In space, no one can hear you lie.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... an-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS all the best for Mr and Mrs ROT
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Democrats and Republicans agree on little but on one thing they are united – their support for the Good Friday Agreement.

Congress voted unanimously to renew its support in December last year, calling for strict adherence to the Agreement during Brexit negotiations “to ensure a lasting peace in Northern Ireland”.

“Any arrangements must protect the Good Friday Agreement and prevent the return of a hard border”, tweeted Democratic Presidential candidate Joe Biden’s foreign policy advisor.

If Johnson is seen to have compromised the Agreement and imperilled the peace process, he will get no trade deal under Biden or Donald Trump. Congress would not allow it. The Withdrawal Agreement guarantees an open border on the island because renewed border infrastructure would be catastrophic. Biden, Neal and European leaders know a hard border is the logical result of Johnson’s bill.
https://bylinetimes.com/2020/09/09/john ... rade-deal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If on 1/1/2021 there were no Customs infrastructure in NI ports or hinterland, the EU/ROI would have a choice of installing a hard border which I suppose Cummings believes they might feel obliged to do ...
OR of course apply sanctions against English exports through Calais etc. Which also would hinder the ROI/NI/Welsh/Scottish 'land bridge' of trade with the EU !

10° this morning, 33 forecast for Monday ! :? :? :?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

So this proposed army of "covid marshals" will have no government funding and no actual powers. Sounds even more of a sure fire winner :mrgreen:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr Robin Douglas
@Robin_C_Douglas
The UK's problem is that it went very quickly from being an imperial power to an EC member state. (Decolonisation largely completed by the mid-1960s, EC membership began 1973).

The British have never had an extended period of living as a 2nd-rank nation in the world.
He has a point. Worth reading the thread.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, a thought that has occurred to me as well.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I checked the date, it was 1962 that Dean Acheson came up with his famous phrase, nearly 60 years !

Some background in this student paper( of 2015) to the history of having one's cake and eating it, etc ...
"... the tumult around Acheson’s statement had deep roots that originated in a seed of truth. The controversial claim had indeed hit the nail precisely on the head, as, by mentioning an unmentionable truth – perhaps indelicately -, Acheson simply got it right (ibid.). More than fifty years have passed and the role-hunting season is yet to reach its closure (Hannay, 2013). Quite the opposite; It still remains, within the political and academic circles, as an exclusive but nevertheless in vogue sport, ‘the polo of British politics’ " (Ash, 2010).
https://www.e-ir.info/2015/08/09/dean-a ... n-in-1962/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now the moorings are cast off for a potentially lonely future on the high seas, apart from any extreme rightwing autocrats who want you for 'company' . Great stuff !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The Tories aren't incompetent on the economy – they know exactly what they are doing
David Edgerton
This Brexiter government is pursuing its political goal, whatever the economic cost. Its predecessors did the same
DrUnpleasant 39 minutes ago
Thank god for this article. The idea that this government is simply moronic is dangerous and distracting. Even if individuals are incompetent, the overall goal is to generate profit from public funds and create conditions for the highest abuses of the capitalist system.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... y-brexiter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It appears I'm the last one standing without Twitter, and it's now COMPULSORY to register to read your recommendations . Yet another password, GRRRR ! :( :( :( :(
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Thing is, both things are true. Its incompetence, but with underlying ideological malice.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Thing is, both things are true. Its incompetence, but with underlying ideological malice.
Well it all depends on what the objective is in being in politics at all ?

If for example the aim is an ideological one, in the extreme Tories' case to shrink the state, destroy any countervailing centres of power, and concentrate wealth upwards (with a bit for oneself), this government is very successful ! Being blatantly even ridiculously incompetent means that many of us can point at them and be angry or laugh, but that doesn't change anything .
They are getting away with it . As long as they remain in power and as long as their machinations are irreversible ... and they remain unpunished. A smoother operator like Hunt will not be so ridiculous, but the same objective is maintained .

The UK Opposition has a more altruistic ideology, and their competence can actually be measured by how much they reduce poverty for example .

Sunshine, a little gardening !
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Only just seen this come up on that Twitter so haven't read it yet. There's a report to download.

Levelling up local government in England

https://www.centreforcities.org/publica ... n-england/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

UK health screening advisers not involved in 'moonshot' Covid plan

Exclusive: Public health experts say it is ‘incomprehensible’ NSC not consulted on £100bn rapid mass testing project (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

All well with 'er indoors apparently.

I was getting a bit twitchy the longer time went on but seems to be OK and being transferred to High Dependency Unit.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
UK health screening advisers not involved in 'moonshot' Covid plan

Exclusive: Public health experts say it is ‘incomprehensible’ NSC not consulted on £100bn rapid mass testing project (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
That shouldn't surprise anyone given it was almost certainly a Cummings back of the envelope, flying a kite, run it up the flagpole idea.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Who thought up the "covid marshals" brainwave, that's what I want to know.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The same one who came up with Clark Kent ?

PS Also "Operation last Gasp". Quite a wordsmith !
Last edited by frog222 on Fri 11 Sep, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Melonie Brown, from Walthamstow, north London, took her 13-year-old son to school on Tuesday, only to be called in to pick him up because of a cough. “The website sent me straight to Inverness,” she said. “So we tried from a different phone to see if there was a glitch, and that one was in Telford” – 155 miles away.

Not knowing what else to do, and desperate for her son to get back to school, she contacted her local MP, Stella Creasy. As it turned out, Creasy was able to point her to a closer testing centre – in Walthamstow. Brown took her son on Thursday and they queued for 10 minutes, with no need to book.

Later the same day, a Serco worker there told the Guardian he had no idea know why the centre was not showing up online for locals. “We have the signs [saying tests are only for people with symptoms], but we don’t turn anybody away,” they said, estimating that the centre was conducting about 400 tests a day. “By the time they leave, we get nothing but compliments.” The worker had a friend who had been told to go to Scotland – from Belfast.

It is understood the Department of Health is moving to fix the glitch by imposing a new 75-mile limit on searches for test appointments, while new laboratories are being added to process results. A spokesperson for the depar tment said the usual bollocks
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... gain-in-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How batshit lunatic is to even consider driving 75miles in a relatively small country like Engerland, when you yourself, or a passenger may be ill? Not as tho one is testing one's eyesight :)
I live in the country, but have Five testing labs in the three nearest towns each about 20kms away.

Proper labs, not improvised DIY Serco stuff .