Monday 14th September 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 14th September 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 14th September 2020

Post by frog222 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Japan trade deal commits UK to stricter state aid curbs than in EU talks
Contrasting positions could undermine negotiating stance with Brussels

Article open to read, some lawyers disagreeing !
https://www.ft.com/content/edb7d155-56b ... b2247fa178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.
Peter Walker
@peterwalker99
·
25m
Kit Mathouse on BBC is scathing about lawyers, "on their hind legs" as he puts it, debating whether planned changes to Brexit deal break international law: "From my point of view as a non-lawyer, I’m looking at the practical effects.” Quite something for the policing minister.

Malthouse on Geoffrey Cox's arguments why he opposes breaking international law: “It’s very poetic, but it doesn’t for me solve the problem that we’re facing.”

Asked what message this gives for people to abide by Covid laws, Malthouse says: "We think it is a good example."
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

New Covid rules came into force...quite soon before they were enforceable.

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oops.

London Lib Dems suspend mayoral race hopeful over past ‘Don’t vote for a Jew’ campaigning

https://www.onlondon.co.uk/london-lib-d ... mpaigning/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Liberal Democrats have suspended a party member they had shortlisted as a possible London Mayor candidate and removed her from the ballot paper after television footage emerged of her urging Muslim voters, “Don’t vote for a Jew” when she ran for parliament for the Conservatives in 1997.
Oh dear...
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Unsurprisingly, watching a country that had prided itself on its belief in freedom and equality descending so quickly into mobs baying ‘Death to the Jews!’, the Austro-Hungarian foreign correspondent Theodore Herzl, was soon to formulate his plans for a separate Zionist state.

It is not hard to see contemporary parallels. When the historian Katrin Schultheiss writes that the Dreyfus Affair showed “how longstanding beliefs and tensions can be transformed… into a juggernaut that alters the political and cultural landscape for decades”, she could be writing about Brexit or the divisions currently disfiguring American public life.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/09/07/the- ... erberates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

warmed up from 10 to 29, already . Same temp as early-morning in San Juan Puerto Rico !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oops.

London Lib Dems suspend mayoral race hopeful over past ‘Don’t vote for a Jew’ campaigning

https://www.onlondon.co.uk/london-lib-d ... mpaigning/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Liberal Democrats have suspended a party member they had shortlisted as a possible London Mayor candidate and removed her from the ballot paper after television footage emerged of her urging Muslim voters, “Don’t vote for a Jew” when she ran for parliament for the Conservatives in 1997.
Oh dear...
Featured in a TV documentary later that year.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Hell's Teeth, it's getting worse and worse and ...

'Utter shambles': GPs and medics decry NHS test-and-trace system
England’s medical personnel forced to self-isolate due to logistic problems besetting Covid-19 tests

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ace-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How long have those infamous Deloitte "Lighthouse Labs" been going now ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And the new "rule of 6" legislation appears to be a total dog's breakfast, and basically unenforceable.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AK -- Plod taking the day off to see if they can make any sense of it ....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear...
Rehman Chishti
@Rehman_Chishti
I’ve written to the PM resigning as PM’s Special Envoy on FoRB. I can’t support Internal Market Bill in its current form, which unilaterally break UK’s legal commitments. As an MP for 10yrs & former Barrister, values of respecting rule of law & honouring one’s word are dear to me
How on earth can Braverman survive this?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

A reminder that Chishti started his political career as a Labour candidate at the 2005 GE.....
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Worth a watch?

"Ed Miliband will speak for Labour at the start of second reading of the Internal Market Bill later - as Keir Starmer is self-isolating"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote:Hell's Teeth, it's getting worse and worse and ...

'Utter shambles': GPs and medics decry NHS test-and-trace system
England’s medical personnel forced to self-isolate due to logistic problems besetting Covid-19 tests

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ace-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How long have those infamous Deloitte "Lighthouse Labs" been going now ?
I read somewhere yesterday that the lighthouse labs have reagent/supplies but no staff, NHS/PH public sector labs have staff but no supplies.

A lot of lighthouse labs staff were students.

Hancock/Harding couldn't run a bath.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Worth a watch?

"Ed Miliband will speak for Labour at the start of second reading of the Internal Market Bill later - as Keir Starmer is self-isolating"
It was scheduled for Ed because it was originally Alok Sharma doing it, Johnson has taken it on instead. Maybe they were worried Sharma might tell the truth by mistake.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, of course it has...
Paul Waugh
@paulwaugh
NEW: Boris Johnson's Rule Of 6 has a controversial exemption - for grouse shooting and similar field sports.
Upto 30 people can gather to hunt with guns cos classed as a licensed outdoor sport.
EXCLUSIVE: Cab Office drafted special meeting on exemption
:roll:

Maybe birthday parties out to be re-designated as a grouse shoot...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

We live out in the sticks and were talking yesterday about how the local pheasant shoots wouldn't be on this year, but what do you know.
Paul Waugh
@paulwaugh
NEW: Boris Johnson's Rule Of 6 has a controversial exemption - for grouse shooting and similar field sports.
Upto 30 people can gather to hunt with guns cos classed as a licensed outdoor sport.

-
-
-

Paul Waugh
@paulwaugh
Govt sources say that it was the 'hunting/shooting' exemption that held up the entire Rule Of 6 regulations last night.
Hence being published just before midnight, hours after they were expected.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Snap!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Reported that Angela Rayner will deputise for Starmer at the coming PMQs, assuming he is still unavailable.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Should be interesting !

Temp stuck at 31, now for some good exercise preparing garden for winter, then .... high tide to wash off .... so will Miss ED .

Hope he's not too bloody conciliatory ...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

From AS now live blogging the debate.
Jeremy Wright has told the BBC’s PM programme that he is “profoundly disturbed” by this bill, Laura Kuenssberg reports.

This means that every Conservative attorney general since 2010 - Dominic Grieve, Wright and Geoffrey Cox - has now criticised the bill, apart from the present incumbent, Suella Braverman (a Brexiter and much more junior lawyer, who some suspected was appointed precisely because she would be amenable to policies like this).
Yep.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Ed played a blinder.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

He says ministers have been warned about these issues for months.

He says Johnson is coming to the Commons to say that his flagship deal, the deal he says was a triumph, the deal on which he won the election, is ambiguous.

What incompetence, Miliband says.

Miliband says he cannot blame anyone else this time. He has to accept responsiblity.

It it time to fess up, he says. Any competent government would not have signed an agreement that it could not live with. And, if it did, it would negotiate a way out.

And there is exactly a process in the agreement to deal with this, through the joint committee, he says.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

GetYou wrote:Ed played a blinder.
Ed Miliband had his moments as Labour leader, but he found it hard to wipe the floor with David Cameron and for the last five years he has not been much of a presence in the Commons chamber. But now, speaking for Labour as shadow business secretary and deputising for Sir Keir Starmer, who is self-isolating at home, he has just delivered the outstanding Commons speech of this parliament - clear, forensic, witty and above all compelling. It is very rare to see the case of a piece of government legislation get shredded so comprehensively by a single opposition speech. If you are at all interested in how a parliamentary speech should be delivered (and why it matters, when it is done well), do watch or read it in full; you won’t regret it. (Politics Live, Guardian)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

he has just delivered the outstanding Commons speech of this parliament - clear, forensic, witty and above all compelling.
Chaos with Ed Miliband. :cry:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Glad my Ed "tip" was a good one ;-)

Just sorry I was too busy to watch it myself :-(
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

One highlight from Ed :-)

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I was busy too, loved the clip !!!!!!!!!!!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ouch. (to a Tory MP)
Tim Montgomerie Flag of United Kingdom
@montie
No. You’re voting to break international law. You’re voting to break an Agreement you voted for just 9 months ago. You’re voting to give up on dispute resolution mechanisms before they’ve even been tried. You’re voting to give China, Russia, Iran excuses for future law-breaking.
Ouch x 2
Tim Montgomerie Flag of United Kingdom
@montie
Turning off Twitter until tmrw. Very rare I’m ashamed of the Conservative Party but I am tonight. The PM fiddling with his phone on the frontbench, ignoring parliamentary scrutiny. And Tory MPs queuing up to endorse a Bill they know breaks international law. What next Dom?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ED ---

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/3 ... t=17:26:00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

17.16.30 "" For the first time in his life he's got to take responsibility ... ""
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ZigmundSternStaub
In forty years I've never seen a front-bench politician, let alone a PM, look so broken, beaten & humiliated. Even May never came close. Hunted & haunted expression, averting his gaze; arms twitching, legs akimbo, tie askew, looking like a sprawling, shambolic, pissed-up chump.

Behold, Brexiters & Tory voters, your glorious leader !
TheConvenanter ZigmundSternStaub
Apparently he was fuming after last week's PMQs. I dread to think of his reaction after that beasting. Hope Dilyn is safely locked away...
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... word-salad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So how is the News reporting this ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Did anyone see a clip of Johnson on the phone ... and then running away ?