Tuesday 22nd September 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 22nd September 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 22nd September 2020

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.

:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Walt Whitman wrote:The spotted hawk swoops by and accuses me, he complains of my gab and my loitering.

I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.

The last scud of day holds back for me,
It flings my likeness after the rest and true as any on the shadow'd wilds,

It coaxes me to the vapor and the dusk.

I depart as air, I shake my white locks at the runaway sun,
I effuse my flesh in eddies, and drift it in lacy jags.

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.

You will hardly know who I am or what I mean,
But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fibre your blood.

Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged,
Missing me one place search another,
I stop somewhere waiting for you.

Song of Myself
https://poets.org/poem/song-myself-52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I think Ed Miliband's favourite poet is Walt Whitman.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Look alive, people!
Wake up, please.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

citizenJA wrote:Look alive, people!
Wake up, please.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 0e8970b968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exclusive: Public Want Test And Trace Taken Off Private Firms
The vast majority of people think large private firms should be stripped of their test and trace contract and the job handed to town halls, says a new poll.

The Survation survey, shared exclusively with HuffPost UK, shows 74% want local public health teams, rather than Serco and Sitel, to run NHS Test and Trace.

Just 14% want the vital service to be run by a private company, the poll commissioned by We Own It and shared exclusively with HuffPost revealed.

It comes as the government’s testing regime was in chaos, with figures last week showing three quarters of a million Covid test requests are going unanswered every day.

Several reports also showed that in many cases, where someone could book a test, they were forced to travel long distances and wait in queues to get checks.

The national track and trace system in England is largely managed by outsourcing giant Serco and call centre company Sitel.
On reflection, perhaps Typhoid Dido is too harsh, how about Baroness Bumble ?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

How is it people keep voting Tory and then keep being surprised they privatise everything - badly - as if that isn't the exact same thing they've been doing for the last 40 years.

In a way I guess it's a function of people feeling "powerless" in that they seem endlessly unable to accept they get what they vote for - tax cuts and penny pinching = crap public services.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Can't argue with a Japanese supercomputer: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus

Also, why are so many people incapable of wearing a mask properly to cover both their nose and their mouth?
If I was running a shop, you would not be allowed in without a properly worn mask.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Apparently Dido's 'moonshot' tests won't be free.

The govt's investing 100bn in a commercial venture which would be rendered pointless by a successful vaccine? Eh?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 19895.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:How is it people keep voting Tory and then keep being surprised
Surprised or just in denial?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:How is it people keep voting Tory and then keep being surprised they privatise everything - badly - as if that isn't the exact same thing they've been doing for the last 40 years.

In a way I guess it's a function of people feeling "powerless" in that they seem endlessly unable to accept they get what they vote for - tax cuts and penny pinching = crap public services.
Too many people want good public services, but not to have to pay for them.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The public in England will once again be asked to work from home if they can, Michael Gove has said, signalling a U-turn in government advice to combat the spread of coronavirus that he said could help “avert the need for more serious action in the future”.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... chael-gove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr citizen, please exit your current location and make your way home quickly.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Just weeks -WEEKS - since their media outriders were given the go-ahead to shout "GET BACK TO YOUR OFFICES NOW, YOU LAZY PLEBS!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Just weeks -WEEKS - since their media outriders were given the go-ahead to shout "GET BACK TO YOUR OFFICES NOW, YOU LAZY PLEBS!!"
I'm losing count, which U-Turn is this ? :?: :?: :?: :?:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Is shielding still paused?

I'm concerned the government isn't at least giving those most vulnerable the power to protect themselves by supporting those in the high risk group to take time off work or school without being penalised. A lot of people do jobs they can't do from home. Some employers have got round this by putting vulnerable people on furlough but furlough money is about to end....
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Starmer's speech - what say you?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"God made the world round so we would never be able to see too far down the road."
- Isak Dinesen
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

frog222 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Just weeks -WEEKS - since their media outriders were given the go-ahead to shout "GET BACK TO YOUR OFFICES NOW, YOU LAZY PLEBS!!"
I'm losing count, which U-Turn is this ? :?: :?: :?: :?:
I can imagine all of the people who said "Nah, we're fine at home" are probably thinking "See - told you!"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Yes, this...
James Felton
@JimMFelton
·
4h
"Stay at home"
*Stays at home*
"What the fuck are you doing"
"I-"
"GET BACK TO WORK"
"But-"
"BUY A FUCKING SANDWICH"
*Goes back to work*
"Oh you've really gone and done it now, you assholes, you morons-"
I always wondered whether the people who went back to work but took their own lunch with them ever felt guilty about not going to Pret...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I mean, they really shouldn't be allowed to forget that.

At best - *best* - it shows they don't know what the f*** they are doing, and all the alternative explanations are worse than that one.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Elsewhere...

'Cutting it tight': Dover port still awaiting Brexit infrastructure funds

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ture-funds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tim Reardon, the head of EU exit at the port, said the government was “cutting it quite tight” with just 100 days to go before Brexit is implemented on 1 January.

“The government has a funding scheme which is due to open for application later this month. Clearly that’s cutting it quite tight for stuff to be actually delivered and in place, when significant civil works are involved, by early next year,” he told MPs on the Treasury select committee on Tuesday morning.

The money needed to be “issued rather than talked about”, he said.
:roll:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anyway.......there's no way all this can actually go on for six months, is there?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Starmer's speech - what say you?
There’s a line to tread between attracting the people who didn’t vote Labour last time and pissing off the ones who did, I’m not sure he’s got it right yet.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

He's right about tax though.

Concede the principle that we need tax rises and it'll just encourage the tories to come up with something that can be spun to be progressive but will actually hit the poorest hardest. VAT rise anyone? That's their favourite.
Let's face it, they're not going to come up with a wealth tax before hell freezes over.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
There’s a line to tread between attracting the people who didn’t vote Labour last time and pissing off the ones who did, I’m not sure he’s got it right yet.
Fair comment.

Part of it is that the snippets that are excitedly briefed to the hacks often aren't representative of the speech as a whole*. There was quite a lot in there to reassure people who voted Labour last time actually thinking their programme was decent (if not perfect)

(*see also Dodds yesterday)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

After Sir Keir Starmer’s speech was over, CCHQ sent out an email to supporters asking for donations which described Starmer as “just more of the same old Labour”. It says:

Sir Keir Starmer proclaimed himself Labour’s ‘new leadership’, in his first conference speech this morning.

But nothing could be further from reality. Sir Keir’s leadership is just more of the same old Labour.

He’s advanced Corbyn’s far-left economic plans and continually shown he doesn’t respect the views of ordinary people on crime, immigration and regaining our independence now we’ve left the EU.
If that's the best CCHQ can come up with you'd have to say Starmer's on the right lines.

'advanced Corbyn's far left economic plans'
If only.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
The public in England will once again be asked to work from home if they can, Michael Gove has said, signalling a U-turn in government advice to combat the spread of coronavirus that he said could help “avert the need for more serious action in the future”.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... chael-gove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr citizen, please exit your current location and make your way home quickly.
He ain't come home yet

Downstairs neighbour habitually burning god knows what substances directly below my home rendering my air unfit to breathe. I'm unable to get the suffocating, noxious odour out or prevent it getting in. He's been burning it twenty-four hours straight now. He refuses to stop. I don't want to thrown myself out the window in despair over this intolerable state of affairs.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Hypocrisy and History on the numbers in the US Supreme Court --

[youtube]f4LSRv0s8BQ[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:He's right about tax though.

Concede the principle that we need tax rises and it'll just encourage the tories to come up with something that can be spun to be progressive but will actually hit the poorest hardest. VAT rise anyone? That's their favourite.
Let's face it, they're not going to come up with a wealth tax before hell freezes over.
Government protect the interests of a few who've done nothing but inherit and sponge off the labour of the rest of us. Really makes them anxious, the thought of cooperative sharing, fairness. Gives the bastards nightmares.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:
Fair comment.

Part of it is that the snippets that are excitedly briefed to the hacks often aren't representative of the speech as a whole*. There was quite a lot in there to reassure people who voted Labour last time actually thinking their programme was decent (if not perfect)
(*see also Dodds yesterday)
Well I think so, anyway. I think my relationship with the Labour party, my expectations of it, may be different from others'. I wasn't educated in the UK. I didn't grow up here. I'm just guessing though, I don't know. I mention it because I've gone to local Labour meetings. I'm sometimes puzzled confused, don't understand increased tension in a room, I can see well enough something caused a change in those around me. I'm frequently ignorant of its cause.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Spaffer in full spaff !

NN !
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Having enjoyed a splendid week in the company of PorFavor (which I'll get too later) I travelled back today and came across this delightful covidiot.

Upon asking her if she wouldn't mind putting on her mask she flat out said no because she was 'hot and sweaty'. This led to an inevitable argument during which she eventually claimed she suffered from asthma and a 'nose problem' which was obvious bullshit. I asked her why she objected to wearing a mask when it worked to her benefit by covering half her face but she failed to even recognise that as an insult. Pearls before swine. Anyway to cut a long story short she ultimately ended up telling me she hoped my parents would 'die of the virus' and rather than punching her I got up and moved to another carriage.

And she was far from alone, travelling through London on the train it's pretty obvious mask wearing on public transport is seen as optional and I didn't even venture onto the tube.

It's going to take a lot more than a fat man on TV telling people he trusts their 'common sense' to get to grips with this.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Have we made any progress on securing our lair?
I'm quite envious of you both
I wish I could've seen you
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I only recently found out my niece arrived a few weeks ago to study at the University of St Andrews
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

People in parts of Birmingham have been told to get a coronavirus test regardless of whether they have symptoms in a significant break from government policy.

The UK government said earlier this month that people who do not have Covid-19 symptoms should not get tested because the system is struggling to keep up with demand. The same applies to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

However, there has been concern among scientists and public health leaders that this means countless coronavirus cases were being missed and that it hindered their ability to track the disease.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ymptomatic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm so confused
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So after visiting the South coast of England for the first time since I was twelve here are my observations.

The 'beaches' are a collection of sharp stones next to the sea, mainly flint, that are excruciatingly painful to walk on in bare feet.

Sometimes these 'beaches' are populated by nudists (mainly pensioners) that your host 'forgets' to warn you about.

They have palm trees.

Nearly everyone sounds like they come from London.

Traffic lights at pedestrian crossings seem to have been rationed for some reason, perhaps colours and beeping noises are rarer down South. This means if you want to cross the road you have to walk half a mile to the nearest crossing with lights, rely on the charity of motorists or just make a mad dash and hope for the best.

You think there is very little widlife but little enclaves where it's still hanging on surprise you.

The people down there are every bit as friendly or not as the people up North. The whole North/South divide when it comes to friendliness is complete bollocks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Palm trees!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love you all dearly
I'm so tired
Goodnight.
love,
cJA
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:Have we made any progress on securing our lair?
Not as such, no.

But I do have an idea. If you ask PorFavor to provide the materials I think within a month we could begin fashioning a splendid lair out of cat hair.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]hbS2KmEecTo[/youtube]
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

We have a student with a positive CV19 test. Apparently the advice from PHE is 'all you have to do is identify the students who have been spending lesson time sat near him/her and tell them to isolate - no more than that.' So the student in question and nine others are isolating and the other 190odd in the 'bubble' are in school. And any staff have been professional and have been social distanting for the two and a half hours in the classroom so they don't need to worry.

I've made my formal request for a sabbatical and I'm waiting to hear - to be fair they're trying to work out who is going to cover the media exam units I'm delivering given that none of the other media teachers are free.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok so to curb this entirely predictable exponential rise in Coronavirus infections we've had a fat clown on TV saying pubs will shut at 10pm and that's about it.

Because apparently we are an exceptionally freedom loving people and to curb said instincts which are apparently unique amongst all the people's of this planet would be a terrible imposition on our way of life.

What a load of shit.

I caught 3 trains today, each and every one had announcements about mask wearing being mandated, but there was nobody to mandate it. Not a single guard or ticket inspector came down the train (which is just as well for me as I got on the wrong ones to avoid the tube).

What's needed is enforcement but after years of hollowing out public services and allowing private sector companies to pay lip service to their obligations we are where we are. There are beggars on the trains in London leaving printed notes on your seat asking for money and looking disgruntled when they come back down the carriage and find you haven't given them anything. Because there's no one to stop them. And no one to encourage them to apply their obvious talents more constructively.

The Tories have reduced civilisation in this country to a thin veneer that you don't even need to pick at, you can see through it and without public support Johnson can say what he likes but without the state, or even a responsible private sector to back him up it's all just bollocks.

The party of law and order have left us in such a state that the state can no longer enforce its own laws.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Isabel Oakeshott (Sky Press Preview) says that Boris Johnson is threatening us with martial law.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Isabel Oakshott would be the first to complain if her purse was stolen.

[youtube]4dPLGFzM9T4[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]1nik3ccW6yI[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

No, I haven't quite got there yet. If I had, I'd have missed hearing this again.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Shake your earings over my head.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.