Monday 28th September 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 28th September 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 28th September 2020

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I see there's a new 'War on the Quangos' after it 'emerged' (i.e. someone did a bit of addition) that labour-affiliated quango chiefs outnumber those on the other side.

So...after 10 years in government, and if the term of office is usually 3-5 years, then who appointed them?

Er...wait....it's a tough one isn't it?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Farage: We'd be OK outside of the EU - Switzerland are fine!

Europe Elects
@EuropeElects
Switzerland: The gfs.bern exit poll shows that voters reject a referendum that called for ending the freedom of movement of people with the European Union with 63%.

37% supported the proposal today. #CHVote #abst20 #Abstimmungssonntag #Begrenzungsinitiative
Farage: No, that Switzerland - another Switzerland!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The Right were getting awfully excited over that guidance issued by the DfE last week and yet...
Freddie Whittaker
@FCDWhittaker
The DfE published guidance and teaching modules for RSE last week that appeared to go much further than statutory guidance issued in July.

Today, the DfE confirmed that all of the additional materials are non-statutory, meaning schools don't have a legal duty to follow them
Ah well...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Latest estimates show that Coronavirus (COVID-19) infections have increased in recent weeks... .
Between 23 July and 10 September, COVID-19 Infection rates have increased primarily in the least deprived areas within each region.
---
In recent weeks, COVID-19 positivity rates have been higher amongst people who have travelled abroad, although increases are seen in both those who have and have not travelled.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... tember2020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Positivity rates have increased over time amongst those aged under 35 years who had socially-distanced direct contact with six or more people aged 18 to 69 years, suggesting socially-distanced direct contact in younger age groups is an increasingly important factor in contracting COVID-19.
---
For individuals aged 35 years and over there is no evidence of increases in positivity for any number of reported socially-distanced direct contacts.

This means that reporting having had socially-distanced direct contact with a larger number of people appears to be an increasingly important factor in increasing positivity rates in the younger age groups.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... tember2020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

This is an aside really. I'm reluctant posting it because the Office for National Statistics (ONS) report's information is valid; I'm not casting doubt on their findings. More younger people are CV19 positive.
We estimate positivity rates based on socially-distanced direct contact as reported by each participant; interpretation of what socially-distanced contact is may vary between participants.
(cJA emphasis)
I can't find out the definition of "socially-distanced direct contact" in the report though I might have missed it. The definition isn't explained when it's first used or linked to the definition elsewhere. I get real nervous when nebulous words get thrown around. People won't have clear language expressing accurate information.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:The Right were getting awfully excited over that guidance issued by the DfE last week and yet...
Freddie Whittaker
@FCDWhittaker
The DfE published guidance and teaching modules for RSE last week that appeared to go much further than statutory guidance issued in July.

Today, the DfE confirmed that all of the additional materials are non-statutory, meaning schools don't have a legal duty to follow them
Ah well...
Yeah, but the intention could still be to put schools off approaching certain subjects. A bit like Section 28, even if in a less coercive form.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Some years back there was a bunch of free market, low tax loons who had a group called Rally Against Debt - I think about 50 turned up once.

But then I got a notification that the group - which I joined for the larfs - had something posted...
Rally Against Debt
25 September 17:o1 ·
Can people post in the comments if they would like an event to be organised again and if so, what kind?
Early days but I don't think anyone's bothered...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Black Plaques
@BlackPlaques
Partying faceIt's 355 years since Samuel Pepys shat in a fireplace:

"I to bed and in the night was mightily troubled with a looseness (I suppose from some fresh damp linen that I put on) and was forced to rise and shit in the chimney twice; and so to bed and was very well again. #OTD
7:37 AM · Sep 28, 2020·Twitter Web App
:D

People used to die of 'looseness' according to the lists that this essential Twitter account posts up from time to time.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Twitter account Tides Of History has a fascinating megathread on the Labour deputy leadership contest between Benn and Healey, which climaxed 39 years ago today.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I didn't get a chance to share this yesterday:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UK market flooded with inadequate Covid tests, experts suggest
This is the backdrop to punitive on-the-spot fines for failure to isolate, for which the police don't even need evidence to dole out. It's become acceptable for these fines to be issued arbitrarily with no right to a defence but previously such fines have only ever been in the low hundreds as far as I'm aware. Many people won't be able to pay thousands of pounds. Are we really going to potentially send people to jail for not paying a fine for leaving their house after taking a positive test which might not even be accurate?
Isn't this sledgehammer approach simply going to drive people with symptoms underground? No test, no chance of a fine.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It is going to be completely unenforceable.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Something I've just noticed after all of the furore about Dacre being in the running for the Ofcom chair...so who does it now?

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/ho ... fcom-board" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lord Burns is a Senior Adviser to Banco Santander SA, Chairman of the Young Classical Artists Trust and Vice Chairman of the Hay Festival of Literature and the Arts Ltd. In addition, Lord Burns is Chairman of the Welsh Government’s South East Wales Transport Commission, Chairman of the Mid Wales Music Trust and Vice President of the Royal Academy of Music. He is a former Chief Economic Advisor and Permanent Secretary to HM Treasury, Chairman of Santander UK plc, Chairman of Channel Four Television, Chairman of Marks and Spencer plc and Chairman of Welsh Water and was an Independent Adviser to the Secretary of State on the BBC Charter Review.

Terry joined the Board on 1 January 2018. His appointment runs until 31 December 2021.
Yes, that well-known leftie Terry Burns - chief economic adviser to the Thatcher government...

And look at when his term of office expires.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It has been pointed out elsewhere that Ofcom has never had a "knowingly" left of centre chair.