Tuesday 6th October 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 6th October 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
adam
First Secretary of State

Re: Tuesday 6th October 2020

Post by adam »

Nissan and Toyota want Britain to pay for no deal Brexit tariffs (Telegraph - paywall for whole article)
The two companies want the government to cover the expected 10 percent taxes that would hit UK automotive exports from January 1 if Britain leaves the transition period without an agreement. Nissan warned in June that its factory in Sunderland, which employs 7,000 people, would be “unsustainable” if there was no deal. Neither car company commented on the demand for compensation, which was reported in the Nikkei financial daily. According to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, 80 percent of cars built in the UK are exported, with 55 percent of those going to the EU.
I still believe in a town called Hope
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Didn't Theresa May have a secret meeting with Nissan, widely believed to have been along those lines?

Paying those tariffs won't stop them leaving the UK in the medium term anyway.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/en ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could The Second Wave Spark Riots? We're Entering Very Dangerous Territory
I'm not sure about riots but the government's current strategy does seem to be openly trying to push people's tolerance over the edge. The 10pm curfew is nonsensical.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

As mentioned earlier, Boris Johnson will use his speech to the Conservative party conference to promise to power every home in the UK with offshore wind energy within a decade. According to extracts from the speech released in advance, he will also include this line about people who used to be sceptical about wind power in the past.

"I remember how some people used to sneer at wind power, twenty years ago, and say that it wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding. They forgot the history of this country. It was offshore wind that puffed the sails of Drake and Raleigh and Nelson, and propelled this country to commercial greatness."

Although not obvious, this is a self-deprecating joke, and a rare admission from Johnson that he got something wrong. That’s because he was the person who used that jibe about wind power. “Labour put in a load of wind farms that failed to pull the skin off a rice pudding,” he once said, in an interview making the case for shale gas.

But despite being a tacit admission of error, Johnson is still being disingenuous. It wasn’t 20 years ago when he made this comment; it was in 2013.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:
I'm not sure about riots but the government's current strategy does seem to be openly trying to push people's tolerance over the edge. The 10pm curfew is nonsensical.
They've never really got out of 'we must do something, this is something' mode, it often seems.
They don't care if we die.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

gilsey wrote:
As mentioned earlier, Boris Johnson will use his speech to the Conservative party conference to promise to power every home in the UK with offshore wind energy within a decade. According to extracts from the speech released in advance, he will also include this line about people who used to be sceptical about wind power in the past.

"I remember how some people used to sneer at wind power, twenty years ago, and say that it wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding. They forgot the history of this country. It was offshore wind that puffed the sails of Drake and Raleigh and Nelson, and propelled this country to commercial greatness."

Although not obvious, this is a self-deprecating joke, and a rare admission from Johnson that he got something wrong. That’s because he was the person who used that jibe about wind power. “Labour put in a load of wind farms that failed to pull the skin off a rice pudding,” he once said, in an interview making the case for shale gas.

But despite being a tacit admission of error, Johnson is still being disingenuous. It wasn’t 20 years ago when he made this comment; it was in 2013.
The idea that Johnson would actually admit to being wrong is fanciful at best...

I quite like this from Alistair Campbell.
ALASTAIR CAMPBELL
@campbellclaret
These 10 points may or may not be related. 1. @BorisJohnson is lazy and only wanted to BE PM without doing the job. 2. Dominic Cummings desperately wanted to be the PM right hand man. 3. Johnson wanted him too. 4. Cummings would only do on condition he could be Mr Tech 5. Covid - the tech is a big part of the problem. 6. The Tory conference is a tech shit show. 7. Johnson is not very good at his job. 8. Cummings is not very good at the thing he says he is a genius at. 9. Hancock Dido Williamson survive cod > BJDC. 10. The country is a mess 2/2
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

gilsey wrote:Didn't Theresa May have a secret meeting with Nissan, widely believed to have been along those lines?

Paying those tariffs won't stop them leaving the UK in the medium term anyway.
It was certainly said that many of the far-East companies stayed put and stayed quiet through all of this because they were told early on 'one way or another this won't cost you'. If that's true, it's a very very heavy promise to pay that is about to fall due.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

If only Campbell hadn't spent so much time rubbishing the only feasible alternative to Johnson before the election, some might not unreasonably ask?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Centrists complaining about Johnson on twitter get buried by people reasonably asking that.

eg: Ian Dunt.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I've said this before and I'll almost certainly say it again.

If JC had won he wouldn't still be PM now, if even a quarter as many had died from the virus he'd have resigned or been hounded out of office.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Speaking of hounds has reminded me, if you come across the Biden campaign video about dogs in the WH, do watch it, I'm no dog-lover but it's charming.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:I've said this before and I'll almost certainly say it again.

If JC had won he wouldn't still be PM now, if even a quarter as many had died from the virus he'd have resigned or been hounded out of office.
Depressingly good chance you are correct.

(and if things had been *as* bad as in reality, a real possibility there would have been serious calls for a coup)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Zing!
Michelle Obama
@MichelleObama
My heart goes out to everyone touched by this virus, from those at the White House, especially the Secret Service and residence staff whose service ought never be taken for granted, to all those names and stories most of us will unfortunately never know.
:D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Polls actually seem to be worsening for Trump, if anything. I know we are all scarred by 2016, but......
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Thread about the government's capital spending programme - basically re-announcing old spending plans.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Of course, one worrying possibility from the above is that his cronies might try to steal the election more blatantly than ever before?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Deaths increasing
Does this government care at all?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Good to see you, we always miss your presence when you aren't here.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

thank you
:rock:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:Centrists complaining about Johnson on twitter get buried by people reasonably asking that.

eg: Ian Dunt.
It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't now pretend that it never happened.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »