Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th October 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th October 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th October 2020

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Looks like good news from New Zealand 8-)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Ardern demonstrating that you can do the right thing and get re-elected.

cja's post last night, from Marina Hyde
"Consider the fact that even though it is the approach its senior scientists believe would be most effective, the government believes that Keir Starmer’s having called for a two-week circuit-breaker now makes it “politically impossible”. Setting aside that events will overtake it anyway on that front, what grotesquely warped priorities that implies. As one cabinet minister told James Forsyth, writing in the Times: “If they do it after all this, they’ll be in the worst possible place.” To which the milder end of a response is: so effing what?!
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Also last night, sky said
Watching QT from Edinburgh last night it was striking how much of an irrelevance Seema Malhotra for Labour seemed
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paula Surridge
@p_surridge
Haven't had a chance to do much of this lately, but here is an initial look at how voters in Scotland are positioned in value space (compared with their English counterparts).

Shows clearly the 'Scottish' problem for Labour. The SNP sit in exactly the spot they occupy in England
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

gilsey wrote:Ardern demonstrating that you can do the right thing and get re-elected.
Also demonstrating that it's possible to win an outright majority with PR.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:Ardern demonstrating that you can do the right thing and get re-elected.

cja's post last night, from Marina Hyde
"Consider the fact that even though it is the approach its senior scientists believe would be most effective, the government believes that Keir Starmer’s having called for a two-week circuit-breaker now makes it “politically impossible”. Setting aside that events will overtake it anyway on that front, what grotesquely warped priorities that implies. As one cabinet minister told James Forsyth, writing in the Times: “If they do it after all this, they’ll be in the worst possible place.” To which the milder end of a response is: so effing what?!
This is absolute bollocks. This government has flipped so many times on everything from shutting schools to wearing masks. Never once have they worried about looking stupid or being behind the curve. If they don't go with a circuit breaker it's because they don't want to. Leaking that Labour have put them in an impossible position is just another way of trying to play the victim and shifting the blame.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
UK universities accused of keeping students at all costs until after fee deadline

Claims some institutions persisting with face-to-face classes to delay drop-outs and retain tuition fees
(Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... e-deadline

Business as usual, then.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Part of Labour's "Scottish problem" is that the people who were inspired by Corbyn in England/Wales had mostly already gone to the Nats there by the time he was elected leader.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Coronavirus
NHS Covid-19 app users sent incorrect risk-level change alerts

People in England and Wales reported notifications that did not match government guidance for their areas (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... land-wales
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good evening, everyone.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Evening
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Last month, the UK published its national data strategy. Oliver Dowden, the digital secretary, wrote that under the UK’s strategy, “Data and data use are seen as opportunities to be embraced, rather than threats against which to be guarded.”
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... en-britain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:Evening
Shorter days, maintaining vigilance and government's failures make me feel weary sometimes.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Dr Gabriel Scally
@GabrielScally
SERCO announced an upgraded profits forecast. Apparently their performance on so-called 'NHS' Test & Trace is 'outstanding'.
The Government's official advisory committee recently received a paper that thought the T&T system was having marginal effect.
4:53 pm · 17 Oct 2020
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Serco Group plc ('Serco' or 'the Group'), the international provider of services to governments, today provides an unscheduled update on the outlook for trading in 2020.

Trading: we have achieved strong revenue growth in the third quarter and this, in conjunction with good cost control, means we are upgrading our full year revenue guidance to around £3.9bn and Underlying Trading Profit (UTP) to £160m-£165m; this would represent organic growth in revenues of around 15%, growth in UTP of over 30%, and a UTP margin of just above 4%.

The range of outcomes around these numbers, up or down, is wider than would normally be the case at this time of year as on some contracts customers are adjusting their requirements week-by-week in response to the challenges of Covid-19.
https://www.serco.com/media-and-news/20 ... e-for-2020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I don't know what to say. How do we respond to a dangerously inadequate public service provider put there by a government benefiting a small elite failing all the rest of us?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

What are the employment conditions for most of the people doing whatever it is Serco is profiting from?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Where is Roger today? Hope all is well there.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Watching Gardners World - garden envy and glimpses of Patty.
Wish I'd prioritised having a garden.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I like the *idea* of having a garden, sure. Its just having to do the work with one that puts me off ;)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Gardening is playing outside for grown-ups.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I just choose shrubs that can stand a couple of years of neglect or can bounce back from an over-enthusiastic prune. The only plants I've really struggled with are the weigela. If you prune them at the wrong time they won't flower the following year. Ditto if they get too dry/wet. I've got three but I don't think any flowered this year. The hypericum bush and the hardy geraniums are the easiest. They just flower for months on end and need very little attention.

Anyway, I actually came on to talk about GPs. I'm hearing stuff about them not being able to do blood tests at the moment because of some kind of supply issue. Has anyone seen anything about this? It sounds serious.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Where is Roger today? Hope all is well there.
Quite well thanks - a combination of shopping, preparing a Powerpoint for a talk I'm giving soon, and Orient losing are my excuses for going AWOL.

Meanwhile, No 10 manages to shoot itself in the foot again...

Peerage snub for top black bishop John Sentamu

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/peer ... -hpjd0mgnp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Downing Street has delivered an extraordinary snub to Britain’s first black archbishop by failing to award him an automatic life peerage.

As Archbishop of York, John Sentamu, 71, should have been given a life peerage to enable him to continue sitting in the House of Lords in a personal capacity after his retirement on June 7, when he ceased to be one of the 26 Church of England bishops who sit as lords spiritual.
Apparently the Lords is full...but they still managed to get Botham, Fox, Hoey, Wadley, Moore etc etc in before they slammed the door in Sentamu's face...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Good to hear from you, and indeed that all is well.

(apart from the football, where I can sympathise currently - last night's welcome result notwithstanding)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Ah well...

Brexit campaigners vow to bring ‘mischief, mayhem' to NZ election

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/42 ... z-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to The Telegraph's chief political correspondent, Christopher Hope, a six-person team from Banks' Leave.EU has been "dispatched to Auckland" to work on New Zealand First's campaign. They've reportedly been instructed to double the party's count of MPs to 20.

Andy Wigmore, one of Banks' main lieutenants, told the newspaper: "I'm going to be on ground in New Zealand causing trouble - mischief, mayhem and guerrilla warfare in the New Zealand election - the bad boys are back."

It is uncertain on what basis Wigmore intends to be "on the ground" in New Zealand. There is no known exemption to the strict border controls for political strategists or self-styled "bad boys of Brexit".
:lol:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I like the *idea* of having a garden, sure. Its just having to do the work with one that puts me off ;)
It's a good point and one which may well have determined said prioritisation "failure".
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

"mischief: is pinning a notice on someone's back that says something like "I'm an idiot". Brexit is somewhat more sickening.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:---
Anyway, I actually came on to talk about GPs. I'm hearing stuff about them not being able to do blood tests at the moment because of some kind of supply issue. Has anyone seen anything about this? It sounds serious.
(cJA edit)
No, I've not seen anything but will keep my eyes open.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Re blood tests, I've found this in the local press but I don't remember seeing anything in the national press. Maybe I missed it:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsmanc ... r-BB19W8Ba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greater Manchester GP practices issue 'urgent' update as patients face cancelled blood tests due to chemical shortage
I'm not sure why it being a logistics problem rather than a supply problem makes it better. A supply problem is more serious but less controllable. "Logistics" sounds more like cock-up/ incompetence.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:Re blood tests, I've found this in the local press but I don't remember seeing anything in the national press. Maybe I missed it:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsmanc ... r-BB19W8Ba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greater Manchester GP practices issue 'urgent' update as patients face cancelled blood tests due to chemical shortage
I'm not sure why it being a logistics problem rather than a supply problem makes it better. A supply problem is more serious but less controllable. "Logistics" sounds more like cock-up/ incompetence.
ZURICH (Reuters) - Roche (S:ROG) said any lingering affects of a logistics glitch in Britain should be "cleared out" by the weekend, after the Swiss drugmaker delivered 80 tonnes of diagnostics equipment to the National Health Service (NHS) to help solve the problem.

A robot broke down as Roche was moving to a new U.K. warehouse, blocking deliveries of diagnostic equipment for a range of tests including for magnesium levels. The problems did not impact the company's COVID-19 tests, Roche said.
https://uk.investing.com/news/economy/r ... nd-2233542" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
two days ago
apparently, the problem is fixed
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well tomato season is definitely over. I was going to get rid of my plants last weekend but they still had a few tomatoes ripening so thought I'd leave them another week. Upon inspection today a few kind of looked ok so I tried a couple and they were absolutely bloody horrible. And I mean having to wash your mouth out horrible. So that's the end of that for the year.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I grew up with gardeners for parents - especially my dad - and married the daughter of smallholders who is a committed gardener herself, and I just have no interest at all.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I must admit I've only got into it in the last couple of years and my main motivation was to make bumblebees happy.

I've still got stuff flowering but with the bees gone for the year it's quite sad, like preparing a dinner party then realising all your guests are dead and nobody is going to show up.

Worst Come Dine With Me ever.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: ...like preparing a dinner party then realising all your guests are dead and nobody is going to show up.
I know in what a limited way we all know each other but would I be pushing it to suggest that that sounds like your kind of dinner party?
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The yellow buddleia here is having a late-flowering surge. It's not going to attract anything at this time of year, though.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The good thing about the bees mostly being gone by now, is that the same is true of the flies.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[youtube]bMuh1kLXryQ[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Is anyone else getting angry at these bloody adverts by companies using Covid 19 to advertise their shit?

"We're all finding it difficult in these trying times, missing our friends and not being able to hug our Mum's. Feeling isolated and alone. Worrying about your finances. Well worry no more because at Grave Diggers 4 U we gaurantee you'll be able to hug your Mum that one final time that matters*, we have a wide selection of coffins and if you sign up now we'll also offer a 10% discount on your Dad".

*Your Mum may be in a hermeticlly sealed plastic bag.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

They all care about us so much, though, that they're providing their products for free. Aren't they?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

adam wrote:I know in what a limited way we all know each other but would I be pushing it to suggest that that sounds like your kind of dinner party?
Dead people can't stroke your ego by praising your cooking or being impressed by the wine you got from that little shop that's just opened they don't know about yet that only imports from small, indie French vineyards and costs at least £30 a bottle.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:They all care about us so much, though, that they're providing their products for free. Aren't they?
Well indeed, if your mechanically seperated chicken product or your car is going to help us through these 'unprecedented times' then give us them half price at the very least. Don't pretend you're doing a public service when all you're doing is attempting to profiteer from human misery.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The good thing about the bees mostly being gone by now, is that the same is true of the flies.
Flies are fascinating.

Try this, next year in a patch of sunlight with a hoverfly guarding it (which is what they do), hold your hand out and wait.

Eventually the fly will land on your hand and start checking you out, butterflies do the same.

I admit this can make you look weird and that you're maybe doing a Nazi salute to the Sun if you're not careful but who wouldn't want bugs and butterflies landing on them?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]r_GH6M7cUq4[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just indulging a pre-Covid tradition for a friend who lives completely isolated in the middle of nowhere who I've only seen once since March because nobody in their right mind would voluntarily catch a bus going through Bradford.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]L2Ew6JzfZC8[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Now I want a garlic nan.
PorFavor
Prime Minister