Friday 30th October 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 30th October 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 30th October 2020

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

I'm no scientist but I find this interesting.

Coronavirus strain from Spain accounts for most UK cases – study

It suggests to me that if travel had been further restricted instead of opened up in July, the mess we're in now, in Europe not just the UK, might have been avoided. Australia and NZ did/are doing the right thing.

I've seen suggestions that the virus had become endemic in poorer communities and revived when lockdown was lifted but this study contradicts that.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.
Britain Elects
@BritainElects
Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 42% (+5)
CON: 37% (-3)
LDEM: 8% (-)
GRN: 5% (-)

via
@IpsosMORI, 22 - 28 Oct
The "don't feed the kids" effect?

And factor in the Corbyn suspension and this might well start to be a recurring pattern. We shall see...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

More on that UK-Japan deal...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously, first of all, it's not "reduced" as from now to Dec 31, it's 0% due to the EU EPA. So there's no reducing going on.

Quite. All we're doing is replicating what we have now.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A valid point?

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:A valid point?

The problem being, individuals probably should be held accountable for their roles in all those other things as well, to one degree or another, in a fair and ideal world.
Having said that, if Corbyn hadn't mouthed off, it seems to me Starmer was well prepared to take collective responsibility for structural failings in this case also and although that would never be enough for the more partisan elements of the media, I think it would have been enough for everyone else and we could have all moved on. Corbyn, however, decided to make it all about himself again and tbh I'm getting pretty tired of people in powerful and influential roles playing the victim card. It's something Ed M never did, despite the similar challenges he faced and I always respected him for that.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Chris Cook on the BBC banning it journalists from attending things...
Chris Cook
@xtophercook
I'm sure journalists in BBC NI will delighted to have Tim Davie deciding which bonfires are cultural celebrations and which are political.

The obvious point is: reporters generally know how this works and how to stay out of trouble. If they don't, why did you hire them.
Quite.

All seems a bit unnecessary unless it's Davie just virtue--signalling to the right wing press &, more importantly, to No 10.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

As others have already said, the eagerness of some media outlets to get Livingstone and Williamson on suggests they still somewhat see AS as a game and source of "entertainment".
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Birmingham City Council leader councillor Ian Ward has called for the Government to “immediately” impose a four-week national “circuit-breaker” lockdown.
The city had been widely mooted for a move to Tier 3 measures as soon as the end of next week because of rising infection rates.
Cllr Ward said:
“The problem is the tier system just isn’t working.
“Areas in Tier 3 are still seeing rising cases.”
He added: “I am of the opinion England needs to follow France, Germany and Wales with a national circuit-breaker as quickly as possibe.
“We must not repeat the mistake of last March in not moving soon enough.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 5c2d376408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Chris Cook on the BBC banning it journalists from attending things...
Chris Cook
@xtophercook
I'm sure journalists in BBC NI will delighted to have Tim Davie deciding which bonfires are cultural celebrations and which are political.

The obvious point is: reporters generally know how this works and how to stay out of trouble. If they don't, why did you hire them.
Quite.

All seems a bit unnecessary unless it's Davie just virtue--signalling to the right wing press &, more importantly, to No 10.
This is completely unenforceable at the end of the day.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Good grief...
Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
I think this is what people on the Right mean when they talk about the Left being fascists.

I don’t think they believe Biden to be fascist in the old-fashioned way.

But they worry, as do I, by exactly this below [some Thomas Sowell bollocks about the left]
Earlier she agreed with some loon who said:
Graham Underhill
@GrahamUnderhil3
Replying to
@Miss_Snuffy
You realise that as much as you dislike his style and yes he probably tells lies and has been involved in some dubious business practices, @JoeBiden is a front for fascism. If the Democrats win the west is finished. Your school will be one of the casualties because you educate
7:53 AM · Oct 30, 2020·Twitter for iPad
For someone who is said to now be the most influential educator in the country, she is an intellectual lightweight.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Strange how so many actual people who are at least fascism-adjacent favour Trump then, isn't it?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

A number of tomorrow's papers saying a second full scale lockdown is coming soon.

Best of luck, all.

You are going to need it.