Saturday 31st October & Sunday 1st November 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 31st October & Sunday 1st November 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 31st October & Sunday 1st November 2020

Post by Willow904 »

Morning.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... xperts-say" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
National Covid lockdown expected across England next week
Most of the social media reaction I've seen so far has been unhappy at the way this has been leaked via the right wing press and also has been querying what's the point if schools stay open. Johnson's absence at this critical time has also been widely noted.

Difficult days for the government ahead.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I'd say there's an argument for finding out whether it works with the schools open.

The problem is that whereas a 2 week lockdown might have done the trick when Sage recommended it in September, or 3 weeks when Starmer proposed that in mid Oct, it's now likely to be at least 4 weeks and quite possibly indefinite.

Govt announcement via weekend newspaper is what they do, it's beyond disgraceful.

Difficult days for all of us.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

gilsey wrote:I'd say there's an argument for finding out whether it works with the schools open.
Easy for me to say. Sorry.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Thread:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Russ
@RussInCheshire
So:

Johnson wants UK businesses to prepare for Brexit by following govt advice

But the advice will be shaped by trade deal we don't yet have

And Johnson won't decide on deal until he knows who's in the White House

And postal voting means this could easily be another week

Assume the best case scenario:

1 US election is decided on 3rd Nov

2 Johnson signs a trade deal on 4th

3 Govt advice is finalised and published on the same day

(and how likely is all that?)

Then businesses will have 31 working days to prepare for Brexit. And will be shut.

Because the govt didn't listen to advisors and do a circuit-breaker lockdown, we will now have a bigger lockdown, during which most businesses will be unable to operate fully, or will be completely closed.

And that's when they have to prepare for Brexit.

The govt has so little control it can't decide anything until America does.

The "oven-ready deal" skipped the middle man and went straight in the toilet.

We're cutting support for furloughed people just as we close their workplaces again.

We've failed to get test and trace working in the SIX MONTHS since the first wave.

And we expect closed businesses within zero income to prepare for a Brexit we still haven't defined

Bibble. Bibble on toast.

'm sure there have been moments when the UK has been governed worse than this, but they don't spring to mind. And they definitely didn't happen in the middle of multiple national and global crises.

We are fucked.
Fucked is us.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Rather optimistically I booked swimming for Monday, Tuesday...and Friday.

And Captain Foresight is trending on that Twitter

This hasn't aged well...next week might be a bit awkward for the PM as was mentioned above..

Conservatives
@Conservatives
Labour have admitted wanting repeated national lockdowns Stop signStop signStop sign

Our approach will keep our country and its regions moving Rightwards arrow

@BorisJohnson
explains why at #PMQsDown pointing backhand index
0:00
132.5K views
1:42 PM · Oct 21, 2020·Twitter Media Studio
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Darren McCaffrey
@DarrenEuronews
NEW: PM
@BorisJohnson
will chair Cabinet this afternoon via
@JoePike

Increasing speculation an announcement on new lockdown will be made later today
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Something the govt should have learned in the last 2 months is the value of decentralised test & trace systems.

People in North Yorkshire or Cornwall where the virus isn't so prevalent could have been better protected if their information wasn't lost in the overwhelmed national system.

I predict nothing will change.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Nadine Dorries
@NadineDorries
See? If only we had a crystal ball and could actually see how many over 60s would be infected, the positivity rate, the infection rate and the subsequent lag giving us the 14day anticipated demand on hospital beds on any particular day, three weeks in advance.
:wall:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Given yesterday's polling on Corbyn's suspension, maybe not such a surprise about last night's reporting that both "sides" are in contact about a resolution.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Now, who do we know who has links with people at The Times and the Daily Mail?
Beth Rigby
@BethRigby
NEW: No 10 has launched official leak inquiry via cabinet sec after details of meeting btwn PM/Hancock/Sunak/Gove were leaked last night. No 10 had wanted to hold announcements until Monday and now having to change plans. There are some very furious people in govt this morning
9:36 AM · Oct 31, 2020·Twitter Web App
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Adam Hamdy
@adamhamdy
Replying to
@adamhamdy
15. As part of this, politicians and media need to recognise the corrosive harm done by pseudoscience and speculation. Opinion is not the same as evidenced science. There is no need to balance viewpoints when one side is spouting dangerous nonsense.
This is part of a very good covid thread " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But how many other situations could this tweet apply to?
Hard not to be pessimistic about the future here while this is the background.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:Darren McCaffrey
@DarrenEuronews
NEW: PM
@BorisJohnson
will chair Cabinet this afternoon via
@JoePike

Increasing speculation an announcement on new lockdown will be made later today

And...
Laura Kuenssberg
@bbclaurak
Downing Street confirms press conference at 4pm
12:31 PM · Oct 31, 2020·Twitter Web App
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
Adam Hamdy
@adamhamdy
Replying to
@adamhamdy
15. As part of this, politicians and media need to recognise the corrosive harm done by pseudoscience and speculation. Opinion is not the same as evidenced science. There is no need to balance viewpoints when one side is spouting dangerous nonsense.
This is part of a very good covid thread " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But how many other situations could this tweet apply to?
Hard not to be pessimistic about the future here while this is the background.
In particular the BBC seems to think "balance" means equal weight given to truth and nonsense.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Teaching union calls for schools to close

The National Education Union (NEU) has called for schools and colleges to be included in any lockdown.

The Union says that schools should only remain open to the children of key workers and vulnerable children during such a general closure period. Boris Johnson is expected to say that schools, universities and colleges should remain open in a four-week lockdown.

Boris Johnson is expected to say that schools, universities and colleges should remain open in a four-week lockdown.(Guardian - my emphasis)
I think that keeping them open is madness, and makes the lockdown largely ineffective before it even starts.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... -live-news
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its a difficult one though, closing schools in the spring was certainly justifiable but there is evidence it has caused kids from poorer backgrounds to fall behind.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

No one wants schools to close, but if they continue to stay open as they are currently - with no preventative or precautionary measures whatsoever - it makes all the pain of a wider lockdown absolutely pointless and everybody knows it.

Individuals and year groups having to repeatedly isolate in the hardest hit areas means some children are hugely disadvantaged already and that list will only grow as more teachers become ill and schools have to shut because they don't have enough staff to operate safely.

The survey of online learning needs has been completed and laptops were supposed to be provided against this very eventuality. There should have been a plan and the government shouldn't be allowed to get away without having one as simply wishing all schools can safely stay open throughout is not the same thing as enabling that to happen.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Its a difficult one though, closing schools in the spring was certainly justifiable but there is evidence it has caused kids from poorer backgrounds to fall behind.
How is Eton coping?
Let's see their CV19 safety plans
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:No one wants schools to close, but if they continue to stay open as they are currently - with no preventative or precautionary measures whatsoever - it makes all the pain of a wider lockdown absolutely pointless and everybody knows it.

Individuals and year groups having to repeatedly isolate in the hardest hit areas means some children are hugely disadvantaged already and that list will only grow as more teachers become ill and schools have to shut because they don't have enough staff to operate safely.

The survey of online learning needs has been completed and laptops were supposed to be provided against this very eventuality. There should have been a plan and the government shouldn't be allowed to get away without having one as simply wishing all schools can safely stay open throughout is not the same thing as enabling that to happen.
Exactly.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

It would appear that someone didn't look at the rugby scheduling...

4pm > 5pm > 6:30pm!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

So, did Peston get the job as government spokesperson, as well as Stratton? Client journalism of the highest order.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Allison Pearson
@allisonpearson
Anyone else starting to suspect SAGE is a group or upper-middle class Marxists with no idea that most people have to earn a living?
10:37 AM · Oct 31, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
Anyone else starting to suspect that Allison Pearson is a complete halfwit with no idea how people on SAGE get to where they are?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Prime Minister of England babbles.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Eric Feigl-Ding
@DrEricDing
HUGE—Kids spread the virus as much as adults. CDC study of households #COVID19 transmission very common. 53% overall.
BOTTOMLINE: there is no safe age group that does not transmit virus. Kids and adults similar risk of secondary transmission. #MaskUp
8:14 pm · 31 Oct 2020
Dr. Ali Nouri
@AliNouriPhD
CDC: High #SARSCoV2 transmission within
Not just from adults, also from kids
101 index cases transmitted
102 (out of 191 household contacts)—53% rate.
For the 14 index cases who were children, secondary transmission from them was also high—43%
https://cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6944e1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1:39 pm · 31 Oct 2020
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:It would appear that someone didn't look at the rugby scheduling...

4pm > 5pm > 6:30pm!
If they'd said this morning something like 'as is clear, we need to announce new measures because of deteriorating situation but we need to get all of the detail right so the announcement will be at....' then that would have been fine. I know they've had weeks/months to get it together but I appreciate that it's only when you actually make a decision that absolutely everything becomes evident.

But this was like the worst of being a rail commuter - being told a train is on time until 5 minutes after it's due, and then suddenly being told it's 45 minutes late. Absurd.

And, as had repeatedly been said, they refused a deal with large areas of the north because an 80% financial package was out of the question. But suddenly here it is for the whole country. And has has also been said, you have to wonder whether the announcement of the extention of the furlough scheme beat the redundancy notices send out because it was ending.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Good to know it's business as usual in certain respects...

Gabriel Pogrund
@Gabriel_Pogrund
EXC: The chair of the UK's vaccine task force showed “official sensitive” government documents to a $200-a-head event for elite US venture capitalists last week

Kate Bingham, a Boris Johnson appointee, showed guests a list of products which the government is set to invest in 1/
:roll:
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Somebody btl on the guardian linked to this the other day, it's very good...

A room, a bar and a classroom: how the coronavirus is spread through the air
The risk of contagion is highest in indoor spaces but can be reduced by applying all available measures to combat infection via aerosols. Here is an overview of the likelihood of infection in three everyday scenarios, based on the safety measures used and the length of exposure
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

This is fun in a much more trivial but still, y'know, shocked etc... fashion

One third of Tory MPs in ‘blue collar conservatives’ group went to private school
A group of Tory MPs claiming to be “blue collar” workers is in fact packed with politicians who went to private school, it has emerged. Around a third of the Blue Collar Conservatism caucus went to fee-paying schools, compared with just 7 per cent of the general population, analysis by The Independent found. Some of the MPs, whose personal bios on the group’s website emphasise their working-class credentials, even have parents who were knights of the realm or high court judges. Top public schools attended by members of the group include Eton, Cheltenham Ladies’ College, Harrow, Westminster School, and Dulwich College.
At least 30 per cent of the MPs in the group attended private school, meaning the MPs are actually more likely to have attended one than the average MPs in the Commons.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

David Collins
@DavidCollinsST
Let's not forget the govt's negotiations with Manchester fell apart because of the support being bargained for by Manchester's leaders to close the gap between the 67% and the 80%.

Ministers said Manchester was asking for too much.

12 days later - the nation gets 80%
9:14 PM · Oct 31, 2020·Twitter Web App
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

John Mayes
@JohnbwMayes
Replying to
@lewis_goodall
There was lots of talk about Christmas. And saving Christmas. Why not announce an 'Australian style Christmas' by having it next summer!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its obvious that the PM wants credit for "saving Christmas" - I think things have gone beyond that however (not least with his own MPs)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This seems fairly significant.
National Farmers' Union
@NFUtweets
·
3h
BREAKING NEWS: After extensive campaigning by the NFU the government has agreed to put in law a system that means each new free trade deal will be scrutinised by parliament for its impact on animal welfare and British farming before it’s ratified.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The government has finally vowed not to allow chlorinated chicken or hormone-fed beef on British supermarket shelves, defying demands from the US that animal welfare standards be lowered as part of a future trade deal.

The move is a significant U-turn for the government which had rejected Lord Curry’s amendment to the bill to strengthen the Commission’s role and legally ban any food that did not meet British standards in imports post Brexit. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
Brenda from Bristol should be on a retainer.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

am on ipad (small screen) and nearly reported PF by mistake.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@RogerOThornhill

Whoops.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:@RogerOThornhill

Whoops.
That could apply to many of his posts tbf.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Why are schools remaining open?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

citizenJA wrote:Why are schools remaining open?
To piss my brother off. I've been to stay with him over the weekend and to say he's less than impressed by this turn of events is a colossal understatement.

He's on a Whatsapp group with other teachers and was showing me the messages he was getting last night and let's just say they weren't exactly best pleased.

But if you remember back in March Johnson didn't want to close schools then either, it was a combination of Scotland closing schools and English schools taking it upon themselves to close regardless that forced his hand.

I mean it was utterly absurd looking at the graphs during Johnson's own press conference to see the highest prevalence of infections across the country were in school and university age youngsters while he stood there insisting schools and universities must remain open.

And then to cap it off he said the safest place for children was in school. What the fuck? How is being in schools where the increase in infections amongst kids has increased 50 fold since September safer than being at home?

At least in Scotland they're making students and teachers wear masks, in my brother's school he is not allowed to wear a mask unless he is within two metres of a student and the kids themselves are forbidden from wearing them at all. How crazy is that? In what other 'covid secure' workplace would that be deemed acceptable?

In his opinion it's all about trying to avoid another exams fiasco next year while providing free childcare.

And I'm not going to deny that I'm worried about him.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Oh and I forgot to mention, at least in my brother's area of the North West, schools are asking teachers to turn the NHS Covid app off on their phones while they are at work because so many of them are having to self isolate.

After talking to his NASUWT union rep he refused, but in Academy chains with little union influence a lot of bullying is going on, one bad reference from a head and young teachers might never work in the profession again, so they're turning off an app provided by their own government to protect them and all those around them.

Which seems an entirely sane and reasonable state of affairs.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I did have to laugh yesterday when the BBC had Sunetra Gupta of 'The Great Barrington Declaration' fame on to offer her wisdom while we waited for our flacid excrescence of a Prime Minister to appear.

What she should have said was, 'Self evidently this situation demonstrates that everything I've been saying has been bollocks and I apologise for providing ammunition to some very stupid Tory MPs which has resulted in the delay of a lockdown which should have happened weeks ago a consequence of which will be thousands of unnecessary deaths'.

What she in fact said was, 'I'm still right'.

I mean there's protecting one's ego and then there's disappearing off into some magical fairy land where herd immunity is still a viable option and 'protecting the vulnerable' is the rallying cry of people like Iain Duncan Smith and John Redwood.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

As if 2020 wasn't bad enough already...Fararge is relaunching his business as Reform UK.

Initially I thought that was the same name as Lozza Fox's dismal effort but that's Reclaim.

Not going to be confusing at all...

Interesting to see which way Spiked will go (en masse of course) - they were getting quite cosy with the SDP and they love Fox. But a load of them were Brexit MEPs...what to do eh?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I mean promoting it as an "anti-lockdown" party has to deal with lockdown ending sooner or later. What will be the grift after that?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote:As if 2020 wasn't bad enough already...Fararge is relaunching his business as Reform UK.
Has he paid off his Brexit Party creditors?

Whoever they may have been.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I only say that as last time he relaunched from Farage ltd to the Brexit Party he stiffed a lot of the idiots who'd previously given him money.

Then asked other idiots to pay £100 to become members of his own fan club.

All of course completely legal in this land where you can register a company for £12 on the Companies House website.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

(I was thinking of using a similar technique in avoiding the benefits savings cap but the DWP are monstrously more able than HMRC).
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]r_GH6M7cUq4[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA