Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th November 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
adam
First Secretary of State

Re: Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th November 2020

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:This one's not taking it well...
Nigel Farage
@Nigel_Farage
Four years ago when Trump won, broadcasters showed scenes of people in shock and crying. Today, a Biden declaration shows coverage that would make you think Jesus had returned.
7:01 PM · Nov 7, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
:clap:
He says that as though those two things aren't completely consistent with each other.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Funny thing, when I am on my EduTwitter account I see Ms Birbalsingh's name being cited and her school ut virtually none of her tweets being replied to or retweeted.

And why is that? Well, I think I know the answer. She has mostly really shit opinions. Too many sweeping generalizations. And this...
Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
“If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same”

Both Trump and Biden would do well to listen to Kipling’s wisdom right now. Thumbs up
8:18 PM · Nov 7, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
C'mon, really?

And for a State headteacher to come out with this...
Katharine Birbalsingh
@Miss_Snuffy
This.

“Never leave your children in the hands of the state.”

You might get lucky but do you really want to gamble with something you love?
It's the usual "My school is great but everything else is terrible" again. Sam Freedman called her out for her silly post about US elections being "stolen" earlier but no Edu people do any longer - maybe they just ignore her.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I suppose at least some of you have seen *that* Andrew Rosindell tweet?? Genuinely makes me LOL whenever I think about it :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Straight outa Scranton

[youtube]cS9qCre_sv8[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

There's a strangely worded and not especially fulsome congratulatory "Tweet", sent by Dominic Raab to the winners, floating about. I'm afraid I can't copy it over to here for some reason.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The electri city
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:There's a strangely worded and not especially fulsome congratulatory "Tweet", sent by Dominic Raab to the winners, floating about. I'm afraid I can't copy it over to here for some reason.
Dominic Raab
@DominicRaab

(1/2) While some of the processes are still playing out, it is now clear
@JoeBiden
has won. Congratulations to the President-elect &
@KamalaHarris
on their historic victory, which saw them win more votes than any candidates in US history.

(2/2) It was a close contest and
@realDonaldTrump
fought hard. Looking forward to working with the new administration – the UK Flag of United Kingdom US Flag of United Statesfriendship has always been a force for good in the world.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@RogerOThornhill

Thank you.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The North has been shrouded in a freezing fog and walking home made my dimgers ho munb.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

To wake up tomorrow and remember that a putrid bag of excrement masquerading as a human being is no longer President of the United States will be a cheering thought.

And fuck the narrative that he increased his vote. Biden got more, millions more, and if it wasn't for Covid making postal votes a necessity against Republican wishes the vote would have been lower. A pandemic raised the vote count in the U.S, making it easier to vote than ever before and listening to Conservative commentators they're terrified. The more hysterical saying they don't think America will ever have a Republican President again.

Which would be nice.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just rejoice that the repugnant arse barnacle is gone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well.

Marcus Rashford: PM climbdown over free meals in school holidays

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The government is to spend about £400m to support poor children and their families in England, following a campaign by footballer Marcus Rashford.

A winter grant scheme, to be run by councils, will provide support with food and bills, and a holiday food and activities programme is to be expanded.

Rashford said it would improve the lives of nearly 1.7 million children.

The move represents a significant climbdown for the government, which had argued Universal Credit was enough.
Slipping it out amongst the news from the US and hope that nobody notices.

For so-called populists, this lot are extraordinarily bad at reading the public mood.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Who's Kemal Harris? Dominic Raab, on Sophy Ridge (Sky TV), seems to think that's the name of the USA's Vice President Elect.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

'shapeshifting creep'

Nice one.

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Unfortunately (perhaps) Biden isn't as vindictive as Trump so our PM might mostly get away with that.

Would still like to be a fly on the wall for their first private conversation though ;)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

David Henig
@DavidHenigUK
Replying to
@DavidHenigUK
Still this, the decision which cannot be avoided. Has been coming for months. Does Johnson break with the Brexit ultras this week to go for the deal? And how does he play this? Not about the EU negotiation, but the internal UK one. Big moment.

The decision the PM faces this week is surprisingly little written about. Almost as if people believe the negotiation with the EU might actually change the fundamentals. It won't. Accept the EU level playing field / Northern Ireland protocol. Or damage EU and US relations.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Unfortunately (perhaps) Biden isn't as vindictive as Trump so our PM might mostly get away with that.
Maybe not.
“There will be no special relationship with Boris Johnson.”

“If you think Joe hates him, you should hear Kamala.”

:popcorn:
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... dApp_Other" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Results reveal Jorgensen’s vote share was higher than the Trump-Biden margins in some states – but did she really take votes from Trump?"
....Moreover, it’s unclear which party is more heavily affected by Libertarian votes.

Kenneth Mayer, American politics professor at the University of Wisconsin, told Reuters earlier this week: “It’s possible she played a role, but there is no way to know, and it doesn’t matter. The results of the election are the results of the election.”
Seems a remarkably laid back view on his subject for a politics professor (maybe out of context slightly?)

Edit, found the Reuters article

"Kenneth Mayer, a professor of American politics at the University of Wisconsin, said of Jorgenson: “It’s possible she played a role, but there is no way to know and it doesn’t matter. The results of the election are the results of the election,” he said.

Mayer said rarely in American politics had a third party candidate made any difference. A notable exception was Ralph Nader’s winning over 97,000 votes in Florida in the 2000 presidential election, when George W. Bush won the state by just 537 votes. If a third party candidate’s votes dwarf the election margins for the winner, then it matters, he said.

And that, Mayer and Boaz said, was definitely not the case this year."

makes more sense now ...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm delighted Biden won.
Last edited by citizenJA on Sun 08 Nov, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

[youtube]urr-2Eti_8g[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

:rock:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:I'm delighted Biden won.
You are not alone there.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oops.

J
im CorneliusFlag of European UnionFlag of United Kingdom Flag of IrelandLemonHot beverageTangerine
@Jim_Cornelius
The Kent lorry park construction site is flooding.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Here's something for people to have a bit of fun with.

Voter Fraud Issue Report Form.

https://defendyourballot.formstack.com/ ... ce=graphic

You can even attach a picture.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Starmer writes...

Biden will put the US back on the world stage, and Britain must stand with him

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... us-climate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is crucial that the British government seizes this moment. Britain is forging a new path for its future outside the European Union. I believe we can succeed and thrive, but to do so we must be a part of the change that is coming. That requires hard work and leadership.

It means working with other countries to ensure the global success and distribution of a coronavirus vaccine. It means building a more resilient, focused and effective response to the security threats posed by our adversaries. It means leading the global response to tackling climate breakdown, starting with next year’s Cop26 climate summit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Meanwhile on this side of the Atlantic, there was one local council byelection last week:

Aberdeen - SNP hold with approaching half the first preferences, an increase of 7 points on 2017, in a division that split 2Nat/1Con/1Lab then; the previous but very similar three member ward went 1Nat/1Lab/1Ind in 2012 and 1Lab/1Nat/1LD in 2007. So the last election saw the Tory advance that was seen in much of Scotland, but they slipped back slightly to 20% this time. Since the last elections the council has been run by a Tory and Labour led coalition, this got the latter party into hot water and they remain at odds - and suspended from - the Scottish Labour party more widely. The arrangement has not been universally popular locally, and this as well as Labour generally being in the doldrums north of the border might explain a five point drop on three years ago to 12%. Not far behind was the previous Independent councillor (the highest placed of four Indies here in all) and then the LibDems with less than 4%, their decline has been pretty relentless since 2007 and continued this time round. Greens with less than 2%, down on their previous showing here in a 2015 byelection, then the three remaining Independents the last of whom tied with the Libertarian candidate (so they don't *quite* manage their customary outright wooden spoon this time)

One contest for the coming week, in Edinburgh.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I do wonder, when it becomes indisputable that the electoral college have confirmed Biden's election, whether Trump will walk. I can't see him standing respectfully on the platform for BIden's inaugaration. If he quit then Pence could give him a general pardon without any question of its legal probity (which would be an issue if he tried pardoning himself). The US has gone months without a VP when such things have happened but I suspect they would fast-track a woman into place, and probably a black woman, to steal Harris' thunder.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

[youtube]e2KJ_H8QRVg[/youtube]

Have we had this one?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »