Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd November 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd November 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd November 2020

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Morning
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

For the record (see Sky last night) I have first-hand knowledge of Clangers swearing and it ain't pretty.

I hope I'm not giving too much away by passing on that "FFS" was a particular favourite. (see original TV series, which by the way formed much of the basis of my personal philosophy on being human).
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sat 21 Nov, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

From last night
RogerOThornhill wrote:Priti Patel was warned to treat staff with respect, says former official

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55015493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Philip Rutnam quit as permanent secretary at the Home Office in February, after complaining about Ms Patel's conduct, and is currently suing the government for unfair dismissal.

He said he was never asked to contribute to the bullying inquiry despite resigning over the matter.
Isn't that a little bit odd?
Especially as the report to the PM says
In addition, no feedback was given to the home secretary of the impact of her behaviour, which meant she was unaware of issues that she could otherwise have addressed.
In other words, there was clear evidence that feedback was given to the home secretary, which meant that she was clearly aware of issues she could have addressed, but the report didn't bother to look for the obvious and freely available evidence.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Also how did we miss this the other night?

[youtube]H3RGP2imSk0[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

adam wrote:
In other words, there was clear evidence that feedback was given to the home secretary, which meant that she was clearly aware of issues she could have addressed, but the report didn't bother to look for the obvious and freely available evidence.
There's this old story as well.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 70731.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A complaint was brought for unfair dismissal, harassment, victimisation and discrimination, but did not reach a tribunal because the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) settled the case for £25,000 in April 2017, without admission of liability,
Allan's report was pretty soft imo and the idea that Johnson was leaning on him to make it softer still should be alarming, but instead is entirely predictable.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Still, bullies rarely reform themselves so it is likely Patel will find herself in trouble again before too long. There's still the tribunal to come too.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

adam wrote:Also how did we miss this the other night?

[youtube]H3RGP2imSk0[/youtube]
Like all the best ideas it's so obvious when you see it.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

I think there's been 30 MPs that did their leader's bidding. I like this...
Kevin Arscott
@uponnothing
I am very supportive of Dr Harold Shipman. He made many housecalls in my area and never once did I see him murder anyone and nor did he murder me.
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

*sharp intake of breath*

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iain Duncan Smith MP
@MPIainDS
There are significant balancing requirements to make note of here, which were that senior civil servants did not do their jobs
@pritipatel didn't just erupt, there were problems that were forcing her to the point where she simply couldn't get the job done.
:roll:
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

"It's not my fault, you made me do it".

:toss:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

"They wouldn't do what I wanted and what my voters voted for, using the flimsy excuse that it simply wouldn't work...so I shouted and swore at them."

Isn't there a head of the Civil Service that she could have spoken to so that this could have been sorted out?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:"They wouldn't do what I wanted and what my voters voted for, using the flimsy excuse that it simply wouldn't work...so I shouted and swore at them."

Isn't there a head of the Civil Service that she could have spoken to so that this could have been sorted out?
Were those words actually used?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:"They wouldn't do what I wanted and what my voters voted for, using the flimsy excuse that it simply wouldn't work...so I shouted and swore at them."

Were those words actually used?
Only by me...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

In the absence of a dining room there is a sylvian landscape on the dining room table
V autumnal
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

It seems to getting worse...

Officials ‘blocked access to witness’ in Priti Patel inquiry

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... el-inquiry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris Johnson’s former adviser on ministerial standards was prevented from interviewing a key witness for his formal bullying inquiry into Priti Patel, an act that stopped him accessing the home secretary’s foremost accuser.

Legal and Whitehall sources have revealed that Sir Alex Allan sought to interview the former top Home Office civil servant Sir Philip Rutnam about his dealings with Patel, but was blocked by government officials.

Allan’s bullying inquiry was launched by the prime minister following the resignation of Rutnam over’s Patel’s alleged behaviour and he is suing the government for constructive dismissal. Sources say Allan was informed he could not interview Rutnam for his independent inquiry because of the legal action.

Allan, however, felt that his inquiry was being denied potentially crucial evidence. The inability of the prime minister’s former ethics adviser to question Rutnam also prompted a “spirited row” within the government’s legal department.
and when was this report on the PM's desk?
It has also emerged that Allan’s investigation was conducted far more quickly than previously reported and that it was on the prime minister’s desk as early as April. It means Johnson elected to sit on its damning findings for seven months until pressure grew so intense that he had no option but to make its findings public.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good evening, everyone.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Almost like they knew she'd been advised about her behaviour but didn't want the person who'd given that advice to be able to go on record.

So, when's his unfair dismissal hearing?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

One local council byelection this week, after another two due were postponed until the spring at short notice:

Clackmannanshire - Tory hold with over half the vote, so no need to go to preferences and an improvement of around 10% since this division had split 1C/1Nat/1Lab in 2017 (as was the case in 2012 and 2007, though the SNP narrowly polled top in those earlier elections - and the Tories might have got two elected last time had they decided to stand more than a single candidate) SNP little changed on last time and 2007, but significantly down on 2012 - they might have done worse but for Labour crashing by over half to just 8%, even by their recent Scottish standards this was a poor result. Greens edged up a bit to 6%, LibDems scored less than 3% which was slightly down on three years ago and significantly so on their previous attempt here in 2007.

At the time of writing still two contests on for next week, if they go ahead they will be the last byelection action until early 2021.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Officials ‘blocked access to witness’ in Priti Patel inquiry
Sir Alex Allan made repeated attempts to interview former top Home Office civil servant Sir Philip Rutnam, but was stymied

Boris Johnson’s former adviser on ministerial standards was prevented from interviewing a key witness for his formal bullying inquiry into Priti Patel.

Legal and Whitehall sources have revealed that Sir Alex Allan sought to interview the former top Home Office civil servant Sir Philip Rutnam about his dealings with Patel, but was blocked by government officials.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... el-inquiry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And so now they are briefing against the Home Office...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Most of the public would rather have a locked-down Christmas than have a new lockdown imposed in January, a new poll suggests.

With the government considering the extent to which restrictions should be lifted to limit the impact on Christmas family gatherings, the latest Opinium poll for the Observer found that the public opted for a locked-down Christmas over new January restrictions by a margin of 54% to 33%.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... poll-finds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good

That being said, I don't like polls. How people respond to polling questions has no impact on the virus.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Good morning all, anything happening?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trumps- ... d=74320619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From a moral and from an ethical perspective it's obviously profoundly troubling and in many respects, we haven't seen anything like this in the modern era -- a sitting president, trying to basically subvert the election.” Daniel Weiner, deputy director of the Brennan Center’s Election Reform Program told ABC News.

“But also it's troubling and concerning from a legal perspective, and folks who are taking part in these meetings should think long and hard about it. Offering, pressuring government officials to take official acts in exchange for benefits tangible or intangible is a federal crime,” Weiner added.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yeah, you have to wonder about the legal fallout when (and hopefully it *is* when) this coup fails.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Good morning all, anything happening?
don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trumps- ... d=74320619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From a moral and from an ethical perspective it's obviously profoundly troubling and in many respects, we haven't seen anything like this in the modern era -- a sitting president, trying to basically subvert the election.” Daniel Weiner, deputy director of the Brennan Center’s Election Reform Program told ABC News.

“But also it's troubling and concerning from a legal perspective, and folks who are taking part in these meetings should think long and hard about it. Offering, pressuring government officials to take official acts in exchange for benefits tangible or intangible is a federal crime,” Weiner added.
I like Daniel Weiner.
I see in a retweeted post from his timeline that Republican Senator, Mitt Romney, seems to have comprehended supporting Trump now isn't a wise career move.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Windrush victim refused British citizenship despite wrongful passport confiscation

Former English teacher Ken Morgan’s passport was confiscated as he travelled back from a funeral in Jamaica in 1994

A former English teacher who was blocked for 25 years from returning to his home in Britain after his passport was wrongly confiscated has been ruled ineligible for British citizenship due to the length of his absence from the UK. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... nfiscation
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

[youtube]I_NStTkSRQw[/youtube]
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

like frogs
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:like frogs
I hate it when that happens
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Boris Johnson is facing a significant challenge to his plan to replace the current lockdown in England with a stricter three-tiered system of Covid restrictions, with 70 Conservative MPs saying they would not back the new regime without first seeing a cost-benefit analysis.

In a letter to the prime minister illustrating the scale of unrest among Tory ranks, MPs from the newly formed Covid Recovery Group said the government must prove the new restrictions “will save more lives than they cost”.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... r-lockdown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
right, I had to read this article a couple times because I didn't want to believe the overt venality
Tory MPs are not only complaining about the anaemic restrictions currently in place they'll 'revolt' against Johnson having any restrictions at all
because money
Johnson has probably concocted the whole 'revolt' story for public consumption in order to deflect away from thousands dying, new infections still taking place, dysfunctional track and trace system and lack of support for those with CV19. We shouldn't be doing less at this time preventing further spread of CV19. Bringing in tiers regionally is preposterous.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

James Hawes
@jameshawes2
Exactly. “English unity” has always meant the North (different since Bede’s day) embracing the dominion of the South. The North was able to resist *within the UK* by allying with the Celts. The alliance was known from 1924-2015 as “the Labour Party”.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

citizenJA wrote:70 Conservative MPs saying they would not back the new regime without first seeing a cost-benefit analysis.
Many of the same MPs would resolutely keep their eyes shut if presented with a cost-benefit analysis of Brexit.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
citizenJA wrote:70 Conservative MPs saying they would not back the new regime without first seeing a cost-benefit analysis.
Many of the same MPs would resolutely keep their eyes shut if presented with a cost-benefit analysis of Brexit.
There is in fact, surely utterly unsurprisingly, a considerable overlap between this "new" group and the ERG.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Leeds is sparkly.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote:Many of the same MPs would resolutely keep their eyes shut if presented with a cost-benefit analysis of Brexit.
And if the Tories lost an election they'd be the first to question the result and file spurious litigation.

Most of them aren't 'Tory' MPs, you have a smattering of so called Libertarians and a few nutters who think money cures all, but most of these clowns are of the new breed, steeped in identity politics fighting a never ending war against 'The Left'.

If they were American they'd be kissing Trump's arsehole and bolstering his current fundraising efforts.

Once the Tories absorbed Ukip they stopped being the party we all knew and loved.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]3sWTnsemkIs[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]_OVlT7YCMIs[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister