Thursday 7th January 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 7th January 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 7th January 2021

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

the Washington Post headlines in Bryan's tweet

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited posted the tweeted image below
Last edited by citizenJA on Thu 07 Jan, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I think we'd all be better off had we collectively chosen the chaos with Ed Milliband
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Is it okay to link that front page of the Washington Post here?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ed Milliband's Labour government not being returned in 2015 is the point I started feeling doomed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Please wake up, people.
I've a dental appointment in a little while.
It's cold & my head hurts.
headache not CV19 related
HindleA.
He should be here salvaging my lame morning ramblings with some of his own.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Gene editing of crops and livestock may soon be permitted in England
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... in-england" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They spelled Jean wrong
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Ian Austin's tweet last night - how could any vaguely sentient being produce such tosh?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Ian Austin's tweet last night - how could any vaguely sentient being produce such tosh?
After a bit of rooting around I assume you mean this?

https://twitter.com/LordIanAustin/statu ... 9965883393
The scenes in Washington is a complete disgrace but spare me the confected outrage from Corbyn-supporting hard left.
With their support for terrorists like the IRA and totalitarian dictatorships, they could not be trusted with our democracy either.
Two sides of the same coin.
The tweet itself is obviously the burbling of a nincompoop, but could anyone explain all the sexy dog pics being posted in response?

Some of them are hilarious.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The BBC are reporting that four people died during the Trump riot yesterday. One was the woman who was shot by the police but it's unclear who the others were or how they died.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I mentioned my interest in Japan's covid response recently. This article from the Economist covers it quite well, if anyone's interested (you need to register but you can get a few articles a month for free).

While we have "hands, face, space", or whatever it is, they have the "3Cs" - things to avoid - "closed spaces, crowded places and close-contact settings" and a focus on air quality. They were assuming the virus was airborne rather than spread by droplets as early as March because this is what the evidence from the Diamond Princess told them (and the rest of the world, we just took a long time to notice). When we were just washing our hands they were already opening windows. We did cotton on in the end but our approach and messaging remains muddled, I feel, by comparison. We would all comply more, I think, if the way the virus spreads was made clearer.

https://amp.economist.com/asia/2020/12/ ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Japanese authorities understood covid-19 better than most
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Ian Austin's tweet last night - how could any vaguely sentient being produce such tosh?
After a bit of rooting around I assume you mean this?

https://twitter.com/LordIanAustin/statu ... 9965883393
The scenes in Washington is a complete disgrace but spare me the confected outrage from Corbyn-supporting hard left.
With their support for terrorists like the IRA and totalitarian dictatorships, they could not be trusted with our democracy either.
Two sides of the same coin.
The tweet itself is obviously the burbling of a nincompoop, but could anyone explain all the sexy dog pics being posted in response?

Some of them are hilarious.
He also nattered something about how the "hard left" were "just the same" as last night's mob as they "would never accept democracy".

The lack of similar scenes after the 2017 and 2019 GEs was duly noted in many of the (almost 100% critical) replies.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well quite, there were seats in 2017 that Labour lost by a few hundred votes and I can't remember mobs of Lefties demanding recounts and denying the result of the election, similarly I can't remember those campaigning for a second EU referendum invading and trashing Westminister, or indeed anywhere else.

Though it must be noted the people making these false equivalences do all seem to be dimwitted weirdos.

Judging by his twitter posts Ian Austin's obsession with Corbyn seems unhealthy to say the least.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The UK government has just updated its coronavirus dashboard, and the death figures are not getting any better.

The UK has recorded 1,162 further coronavirus deaths. That is more than 100 more than the total for yesterday (1,041), and it is the second highest total for daily deaths, as listed by date reported. The only day with higher death toll by this measure on the government’s dashboard was 21 April, when 1,224 deaths were reported, although that was not a figure that was published at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 1e3e745427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

What the? Why was Question Time on last night? I was just relaxing into things getting back to post festive normality and they go and throw that curve ball at me. My evening is ruined.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:What the? Why was Question Time on last night? I was just relaxing into things getting back to post festive normality and they go and throw that curve ball at me. My evening is ruined.
Presumably because it wasn't actually planned until recent events?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Probably. Ah well, I'm sure I'll have innumerable further opportunities to laugh at Nadhim Zahawi.

Faces of extremism: the rioters behind the attack on the US Capitol

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... rd-barnett
According to the Washington Post, Barnett, had identified as a white nationalist in a Facebook post days before the riot took place.

“I am white. There is no denying that. I am a nationalist. I put my nation first. So that makes me a white nationalist,” Barnett wrote, according to the Post.

The New York Times reported that Barnett, who said his nickname is “Bigo”, had taken a personalized envelope from Pelosi’s desk.
Is this a typo or was he just too lazy to add the 't' to his nickname?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Lewis Goodall obviously has to be careful with his language...

"This isn't entirely correct." = "This is an absolute whopper"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And this is a bit worrying...
Chris Moyse
@ChrisMoyse
Schools closed my arse. 50%+ attendance in many schools. Some parents are absolutely taking the piss. This is unsustainable and ultimately going to make no difference to the advance of COVID-19
9:21 PM · Jan 7, 2021·Twitter for iPad
Sarah Shirras
@sarahshirras
Replying to
@RosMcM
In March, we varied from 0 to about 12. In June and July it was about 50. Today we had 95 children in. The guidance today will make this even harder for schools...
9:38 PM · Jan 7, 2021·Twitter Web App
I'm seeing a lot of this. We had 59 in today whereas in the first lockdown we were getting around 15.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

There's been a lot of talk today on the U.S news channels about how openly these geniuses had been organising yesterday's bit of fun. Fox of course had to make it sound sinister by repeatedly going on about the dark web, but in fact it seems to have been almost entirely done on common and garden bog standard websites from Facebook to Parler.

Here's a Bellingcat article focusing mainly on Parler from Monday.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/america ... ngton-d-c/

It's absolutely clear many disturbed and disturbing right wing extremists were planning something on the 6'th of January in Washington DC and yet it appears nobody in any of the branches of U.S law enforcement was paying any attention.

Which begs the question why?

The explanations offered range from incompetence to the fact that most of these people are big mouthed clowns who nobody believed would actually do anything. But in truth nobody has a clue yet.

Maybe they should employ Roger, he seems proficient at trawling through the accounts of right wing dickheads.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So it emerges that the young woman shot dead yesterday was a massive QAnon fan.

Has there been anything less surprising, well, ever??
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Lewis Goodall obviously has to be careful with his language...

"This isn't entirely correct." = "This is an absolute whopper"
Yes it's an outright lie, Leeds for example stayed in Tier 3 until yesterday.

It's like the 'we had the virus under control with our tier system until the new variant arrived' nonsense repeated ad nauseam by Hancock and Johnson, total bollocks of course yet I never hear anyone in the press question it. Good for Lewis Goodall for at least making the effort with this latest bit of gaslighting.

The truth is they've completely lost control of the virus, a single daily glance at their own Covid map shows a dirty mauve and brown canker rapidly spreading across the country. If they screw up vaccination like they have everything else we are well and truly fucked.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'd never heard of Parler before today.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

You may have noticed my obsession with the absence of protests from business about Brexit, right back to 2016.

This thread :shock:

Paul Hodges
@paulhodges1
Replying to
@AnnaJerzewska

@Richard_Asquith
and 4 others
Actually most didn’t, because it didn’t occur to them that Johnson would go back on his promise to keep access to the Single Market and Customs Union. And most still don’t believe today - they tell me it’s just a mistake and will be put right very soon
All these ridiculously highly paid CEOs believed Johnson's bullshit?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Probably. Ah well, I'm sure I'll have innumerable further opportunities to laugh at Nadhim Zahawi.
I hope not, he's in charge of the vaccine rollout.
I suppose we can be thankful it's not Grayling.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:So it emerges that the young woman shot dead yesterday was a massive QAnon fan.

Has there been anything less surprising, well, ever??
I heard a brief interview with her husband earlier where he said 'she was killed for expressing her beliefs' or words to that effect.

Well no, she was killed because she was at the front of a mob trying to break through a barricaded door into the U.S Congress with armed police on the other side of it.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

While witnessing yesterday's events this kept popping into my head.

[youtube]g7_NORMcYzQ[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:I'd never heard of Parler before today.
It's a right wing echo chamber for those crazies who think that Twitter is 100% left and don't like being told they're an idiot....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh, nearly forgot...very quiet in this house today since (i) cat does make hardly any noise at all and (ii) 'Er indoors went back to work for the first time in 9 months.

And very pleased she was to be there even if it was only a mandatory training day...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

There was a very odd White House statement delivered an hour or so earlier by the Press Secretary (Kayleigh someone). The Capitol events were condemned but of Donald Trump there was no mention whatsoever.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:Kayleigh someone
Kayleigh McEnany, she's supposed to be the White House press secretary (thus working for the taxpayer) so certain malcontents are complaining and calling her journalistic professionalism into question along with (many) other criticisms. According to her it's all because she's a woman. Which is quite amusing for a number of reasons.

Fun fact; according to Wikipedia 'While at Oxford, she was taught politics by future British Shadow Home Secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds.'
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote:cat does make hardly any noise at all
My last cat went stone deaf in her old age and couldn't hear herself miaow, which resulted in her shouting all the time. Including in the morning when she wanted fed so I'd be jarred awake every day by what sounded like some monstrous beast yowling through a megaphone right next to my ear.

I did get my own back. It's pretty easy to play tricks on a deaf cat.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

You cad!
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Trump almost sounded sane there, which leads me to believe not a single word of what he said was of his own volition.

Like he'd been told 'Go out there and read this and remember we've got a gun on you'.

That gun being the 25'th amendment.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

What about the National Guard lie?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

We don't know it is a lie, it's only press conjecture that it was Pence who ordered in the national guard. But if what I suspect is correct Pence is in on it, he and those around Trump have effectively shut him down with the threat of removing him from office.

Of course I'm just going on one video where Trump seemed like a puppet with a relatively sane person's hand up his arse.

Things could change in the next 30 seconds.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

'World's unluckiest burglars' arrested after calling police by accident

Staffordshire police arrest two men on suspicion of burglary after one sits on phone and dials 999

As pocket dials go, it was a fairly costly one: two suspected burglars have been arrested after accidentally calling the police on themselves, officers have said.

Staffordshire police confirmed they arrested a 49-year-old and a 42-year-old after receiving a call from one of them, who appeared to have unwittingly sat on his phone.

Officers said they listened in to the call as the men carried out the burglary and could even hear their colleagues arrive to make the arrests. (Guardian)
Well, it amused me.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... y-accident
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:We don't know it is a lie, it's only press conjecture that it was Pence who ordered in the national guard. But if what I suspect is correct Pence is in on it, he and those around Trump have effectively shut him down with the threat of removing him from office.

Of course I'm just going on one video where Trump seemed like a puppet with a relatively sane person's hand up his arse.

Things could change in the next 30 seconds.
I thought Mike Pence had said publicly that he was the one who called them - but someone else may have said that he said.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:Well, it amused me.
The poor fellow will never be able to trust his own arse ever again.

What's funny about that?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote:I thought Mike Pence had said publicly that he was the one who called them - but someone else may have said that he said.
Who the fuck knows.

After being told by a number of Trump supporters on TV yesterday to 'wake up' in regard to the apparantly bad practice of gleaning my information from established news outlets I offer this in response.

[youtube]iMDwrnLrdgs[/youtube]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Republican House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy sidestepped questions Wednesday night about whether Pence, not Trump, directed the DC National Guard to be activated but suggested the vice president ultimately approved the decision. (CNN)
Yes, you're right. As usual. It's not clearcut.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Do you think if being right was usual for me that I'd be here?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

[youtube]so-L12LFRR8[/youtube]
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »