Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th March 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th March 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th March 2021

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morefternoon, all.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Afternoon.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Hands up if you ever had a letter from a school addressed 'Dear parent or guardian'? Because apparently that's a new thing to the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-56372118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

refitman wrote:Hands up if you ever had a letter from a school addressed 'Dear parent or guardian'? Because apparently that's a new thing to the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-56372118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It does seem to be more about degrees of formality than anything else. Mother/father is a bit familiar to address a letter with, even if the recipients are. I thought it was always parent/guardian in formal communications. Definitely seems to be making something out of nothing. Another faux outrage in the right's imaginary culture war?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Willow904 wrote:
refitman wrote:Hands up if you ever had a letter from a school addressed 'Dear parent or guardian'? Because apparently that's a new thing to the BBC.

It does seem to be more about degrees of formality than anything else. Mother/father is a bit familiar to address a letter with, even if the recipients are. I thought it was always parent/guardian in formal communications. Definitely seems to be making something out of nothing. Another faux outrage in the right's imaginary culture war?
Well...Toby Young is quoted in the article....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It is just so easy to play the BBC at this sort of thing.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Disgraceful scenes from Clapham Common tonight :twisted:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Lewis Goodall
@lewis_goodall
·
31m
The police were already staring down the barrel of a potentially profound crisis of confidence, especially among women. That just got worse. Parliament is going to demand answers on Monday and ministers almost certainly before that.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I haven't found a decent way of posting pics on here since Tinypic packed up but this image is all you need to know.

https://twitter.com/cathynewman/status/ ... 6301290497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Incredibly even Keir Starmer has been spurred into action.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status ... 5428419584
The scenes in Clapham this evening are deeply disturbing. Women came together to mourn Sarah Everard - they should have been able to do so peacefully.

I share their anger and upset at how this has been handled. This was not the way to police this protest.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I haven't found a decent way of posting pics on here since Tinypic packed up
Here you go.

https://postimages.org/

It can be a bit unreliable at times but it's the best I've found for posting stuff on forums since the sad demise of Tinypic.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

In regard to the picture above, there are videos showing the young woman was doing nothing other than standing peacefully and quietly taking part in the vigil before those thugs dragged her off and treated her like that. I don't think anyone's ever accused the Met police of being smart but this is outstandingly brainless and insensitive. But then it's an organisation where you can be responsible for the murder of an innocent man and still end up running it.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:In regard to the picture above, there are videos showing the young woman was doing nothing other than standing peacefully and quietly taking part in the vigil before those thugs dragged her off and treated her like that. I don't think anyone's ever accused the Met police of being smart but this is outstandingly brainless and insensitive. But then it's an organisation where you can be responsible for the murder of an innocent man and still end up running it.
This is video of what happened directly before the picture: https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/statu ... 08773?s=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Priti Patel offers her 'thoughts' on the subject.

https://twitter.com/pritipatel/status/1 ... 2062912512
Some of the footage circulating online from the vigil in Clapham is upsetting. I have asked the Metropolitan Police for a full report on what happened.
Yes that will definitely get to the bottom of things. The Met police absolutely loves being honest about itself and never, ever covers it's own colossal arse.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Hi All

Struggling to make sense of the shameful footage from Clapham.

Is there something even worse that they are distracting us from?

Hope to get back here more often at some point....
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So apparently once they'd arrested her they put her in a police van, asked for her name and address, then let her go. Why? What was the point of that?

The High Court made it clear that while they couldn't get involved they thought the Met should work with the organisers. The Met refused. This entire situation has been entirely of their own making and their response has been to act like thugs. Patel will do nothing and on Monday we've got her bill in Parliament that will give them even more leeway to act like c*nts and make protests in this country the government don't approve of nigh on impossible to organise legaly.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PfY looking in has reminded me, is anyone in touch with Adam? Hope all's well with him.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Reform urged for outdated council tax that hits poor hardest
council tax is a material wealth tax for those in modest houses but is a service charge for those in wealthier areas.
I won't hold my breath.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

gilsey wrote:Reform urged for outdated council tax that hits poor hardest
council tax is a material wealth tax for those in modest houses but is a service charge for those in wealthier areas.
I won't hold my breath.
Our council tax is well above the national average but Bath & North East Somerset as a whole is well below. We're essentially subsidising the citizens of Bath, especially at the moment as revenues from tourism are well down and the lockdown stay at home order means we can't even use the parks and other facilities in Bath that we pay for, whilst also having to pay for our own park and facilities on our own out of the parish precept. Local Labour groups have long complained about this double taxation to no avail. On the other hand, we're not so bad for services as other areas. Paying less council tax but not being able to get the SEN support my son needs would be worse.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Good morning.

George Eaton
@georgeeaton
David Lammy announces that Labour will be voting against the policing bill this week.
https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/ ... 5788716032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And I've just read this...party of law and order eh?

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/sta ... 0501747712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://mobile.twitter.com/PippaCrerar/ ... 6592391170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pippa Crerar@PippaCrerar
BREAKING: Labour will vote against the Police & Crime Bill this week.

Shadow Justice Sec David Lammy: "This is no time to be rushing through poorly thought-out measures to impose disproportionate controls on free expression and the right to protest".
11:32 AM · Mar 14, 2021
Edited to note RoT got there before me. Worth posting twice, though, I think, as this could mark a move into more oppositional territory for Labour as the government begins to lose it's covid crisis "they're doing their best" teflon coating.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The cynic in me does wonder if this would have happened without the events of the past week (and last night especially)

Prior to that, another galaxy brained abstention was being briefed by certain "sources".
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Global Britain...

https://twitter.com/peterfrankopan/stat ... 9815293953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Voluntary Overseas Service (VSO), the charity that gave generations of young Britons their first taste of faraway cultures, is preparing to wind down its UK operations in the wake of cuts to the government’s foreign aid budget.

It faces a funding cliff-edge in the next fortnight and plans to withdraw from 14 countries and make 200 people redundant unless the government steps in.
:roll:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Statement from the London mayor about last night.

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/13 ... 2983740416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I notice Nick Timothy doing his level best to steer responsibility for the Met's accountability away from the Home Secretary and fully onto the Mayor. I bet you're as shocked as I was...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sheffield United sacking their manager clearly had an effect, then :D
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Statement from the London mayor about last night.

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/13 ... 2983740416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I notice Nick Timothy doing his level best to steer responsibility for the Met's accountability away from the Home Secretary and fully onto the Mayor. I bet you're as shocked as I was...
The Met reports to the Home Sec, not the Mayor - who has no operational control at all. But then Nick couldn't possibly have known that, otherwise he'd look more than foolis......oh
George Peretz QC
@GeorgePeretzQC
He isn’t, in the sense @NJ_Timothy
means. The Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 (passed when @NJ_Timothy
was assisting the then Home Secretary) makes it clear (s.4(3)) that it is the Commissioner who directs and controls the police.
https://twitter.com/GeorgePeretzQC/stat ... 54337?s=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Sheffield United sacking their manager clearly had an effect, then :D
A ridiculous sacking. It wasn't even his fault they were shit. Those darn lefty do-gooders were to blame. Somehow.

https://sports-life-news.com/soccer/she ... s-bemused/
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Cressida Dick's bollocks on full display for all to see.

A load of tone deaf, self satisfied lecturing waffle that completely ignores the rather salient fact that the High Court gave the Met the opportunity to come to an accommodation with the organisers and they refused. Her officers had to make those 'really difficult calls' because of her own organisation's intransigence. It could have been a peaceful, Covid safe event, but they chose for it not to be and as a result now look like a bunch of bullying thugs intimidating women young and old. Reading her statement it's clear she has absolutely no idea how awful those scenes appear to anyone with an ounce of humanity.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:PfY looking in has reminded me, is anyone in touch with Adam? Hope all's well with him.
The reason I’m not here much is because the volume of work delivering online is just huge. I imagine it’s the same for Adam. But yes. Hope he’s ok.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The cynic in me does wonder if this would have happened without the events of the past week (and last night especially)

Prior to that, another galaxy brained abstention was being briefed by certain "sources".
Possibly Angela Rayner has had an impact here. She’s clearly genuinely incandescent with rage at last nights events.

On another note, while Dick and Patel deserve everything that’s being thrown at them, it hasn’t escaped my notice that it’s women who are in the firing line. What about the PM?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Johnson doesn't do accountability, let's face it. He just spaffs money around. For instance, on lateral flow tests, which he then has to invent a purpose for. And so, after all the talk of schools doing these tests it turns out teachers can't teach and supervise tests at the same time (who'd have thought it?) and the average school is a bit lacking in staff members idling around waiting for something to do so.....enter an army of unpaid, unsuspecting "volunteers" , or parents as they are traditionally known, who, as if becoming unpaid conscripted teachers for much of the year wasn't enough, are now providing untrained, unpaid testing. Or not, possibly. I don't see this home testing with unreliable kit and scant warning plus zero explanation of what the purpose is and how it's going to help working out somehow.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Yes. My better half has done quite a bit of volunteering, both for testing at school and vaccinations at the health centre. Not administering anything (yet).

We were discussing that this is a strength of the NHS. It’s an organisation you would volunteer to help with. You’d be less likely to do so for a private provider.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:On another note, while Dick and Patel deserve everything that’s being thrown at them, it hasn’t escaped my notice that it’s women who are in the firing line.
You're forgetting the right's response. Which appears to be this.

PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Ha ha. Yes.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This is not a parody.

https://twitter.com/NickAdamsinUSA/stat ... 0621159424

President Trump is looking better than ever before!! He’s getting in shape for 2024 and the liberals are freaking out!!

Yes I'm sure they're terrified by the fact he seems to have aged about 10 years in the last 2 months and appears to have some kind of weird growth in his cheek. There was an article a few years ago by a make up artist showing porn stars without their make up and it wasn't a pretty sight. This is worse. Without all the slap he looks about as healthy as Gollum after a night on the piss. If I were a Trump supporter releasing this picture the least I would have done was colour him in with an orange crayon.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Evening.
Hats off to you PfY and indeed hope all is well in house of Adam. I see our froggie friend is around again - hello there!
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Boris Johnson accuses SNP of seeking to 'turn Scotland against itself'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nst-itself
“Just when everything is beginning to reopen again, when we will soon be reunited with our friends and family, the SNP think that this is the time to turn us all against one another. To start another political fight. Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised by this: it is their party’s obsession.”
Fuck right off you clown. Whether you like it or not at least the SNP have genuine convictions and are consistent. Absolutely nobody could imagine Nicola Sturgeon writing two different articles hedging her bets about whether she supported Scottish independence or not. Perhaps we shouldn't be surpised that the main architect of Brexit is such a massive fucking hypocrite without an ounce of shame or any apparent talent for self reflection. Just today I was reading an article about a daughter estranged from her brexiter parents, this country is still an open wound, and we have the lying sack of shit responsible for that lecturing others on unity? Get to fuck.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It looks like another classic of projection to me.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I too noticed an amphibious presence.

Frogs are only just coming out of hibernation at the moment and it's still none too warm so maybe when Spring gets properly going we may see a bit more of them.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Got my first tomato seedlings poking their little green heads out this weekend, while also noticing the frosts have killed off all my French Lavender.

So...some shit about the circle of life or something.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

My lavender looks in fine fettle but I think it's Great British Lavender because it's had the common sense not to die off.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Indeed, not only is British Lavender hardier than the French, but it exudes a 'common sense' pheremone which makes people wear blazers and join their local rotary club.

However bees aren't as keen as it produces less nectar and pollen.

And I know who's side I'm on.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister