Wednesday 27th August 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Wednesday 27th August 2014

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

The utter hypocrisy on so many levels contained in the latest DWP press release would take sometime to outline.How about attending to the basic obligations of your own department. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :fight:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/high-street-could-be-boosted-by-212-billion-purple-pound-by-attracting-disabled-people-and-their-families
Spacedone
Whip

Re: Wednesday 27th August 2014

Post by Spacedone »

Morning all.

My radio alarm went off this morning at 6:45 and woke me up to the dulcet tones of Nigel bloody Farage ranting "THEY'RE GOING TO SEND THEIR BIG GUNS AFTER ME." in his best 'ordering from a busy golf club bar' voice.

No lazily stretching and yawning before rolling over for another 15 minute sleep for me. I'd leapt 3 feet out of bed before I realised I wasn't being attacked.

I really hope he ends up splitting the right-wing vote and lets Labour sneak in... just for waking me up.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Labour lead at 4 points on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 26th August -

Con 33%, (-1)
Lab 37%, (+1)
LD 8%, (no change)
UKIP 13%; (-1)

APP -21 (no change)
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Calls this morning for South Yorkshire PCC Shaun Wright to resign because he was in charge of Children's Services at Rotherham Council between 2005 and 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28947707
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning All!

Interesting allegations on Twitter about links between Cure the NHS, Patients First, AvMA and the Care Quality Commission.

Of course these are just allegations, but we have noted before the fact that the Chair of the CQC is former Tory MP, and son of Jim, David Prior.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Spacedone wrote:Morning all.

My radio alarm went off this morning at 6:45 and woke me up to the dulcet tones of Nigel bloody Farage ranting "THEY'RE GOING TO SEND THEIR BIG GUNS AFTER ME." in his best 'ordering from a busy golf club bar' voice.

No lazily stretching and yawning before rolling over for another 15 minute sleep for me. I'd leapt 3 feet out of bed before I realised I wasn't being attacked.

I really hope he ends up splitting the right-wing vote and lets Labour sneak in... just for waking me up.
Funnily enough the Tories have picked a virtual identi-kit candidate, so splitting could well happen?

Morning all.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Spacedone wrote:Morning all.

:lol: There's a terrible pun trying to find it's way out of me in response to that .... something about UKIP not letting you kip ... poor, I know, very poor. But I do reckon they could sell a lot of self censoring radios if they developed a system where you could programme them to instantly play 'blah,blah,blah, blah di blah' or any noises you choose over the words of specified people. I'd go for Nigel Lawson, Liam Fox and Melanie Phillips as my first three I think. I simply can't listen to them. The trouble would be if there was a limit on the number of people you could block I think I would struggle to limit my choices.
Working on the wild side.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Wonder how much resources Labour will put into South Thanet, hope this is the case?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

When will the penny drop for Alex Salmond? The day after the independence vote, hopefully?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... lmond.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Authorities failing in hunt for 'most wanted' tax dodgers who owe HMRC £844m
Campaign that publicly identified those sought has seen results, but many have fled abroad

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/tax/authorities-failing-in-hunt-for-most-wanted-tax-dodgers-who-owe-hmrc-844m-9692699.html
and
George Osborne accused of lying to Parliament on his 'hard line' against corporate tax avoiders
The Chancellor told MPs that HMRC was “collecting twice as much [tax] as before

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/george-osborne-accused-of-lying-to-parliament-on-his-hard-line-against-corporate-tax-avoiders-9692327.html
Meanwhile the HMRC and DWP redouble their efforts to 'reclaim' the results of their mistakes from the bank accounts of ordinary people ... heaven help you if you were overpaid tax credits through no fault of your own.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:When will the penny drop for Alex Salmond? The day after the independence vote, hopefully?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... lmond.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a very good write up of the 'debate' and the key arguments that Salmond didn't answer or back up.

And it's followed by this:
Scottish business leaders say 'case for independence has not been made'
Businessmen say in open letter that they want Scotland to keep flourishing as part of UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/11057905/Scottish-business-leaders-say-case-for-independence-has-not-been-made.html
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:Morning.

The utter hypocrisy on so many levels contained in the latest DWP press release would take sometime to outline.How about attending to the basic obligations of your own department. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :fight:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/high-street-could-be-boosted-by-212-billion-purple-pound-by-attracting-disabled-people-and-their-families
Agree. It's beyond words really.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Ian Birrell is an arse. That is all.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... our-leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.

I'm so pleased to be able to post again. Thank you to everyone who must have put in such a iot of time and effort into moving us to this new place.

I had a bit of a problem with squirrels (?) yesterday but that was soon sorted out. However, I decided to savour the moment and waited until today to post.

Anyway - so glad to be able to be here. Apparently I was very irritable during the close season and that was attributed to my inability to commune with you all.

So - hooray!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Welcome back PF.

Did you see the Independent piece last week about Rennard reportedly still helping Lib Dem candidates during his time in the wilderness ?

It mentioned he is a pal of [& had allegedly been advising him on Lib Dem candidacy stuff recently] of Gerald Vernon Jackson. Creeps together.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Yay - welcome back Porfavor. You have been much missed - as have others who disappeared for a while (seeingclearly, parrotkeeper or pk1 as she now is and many more ....).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:Good morning.

I'm so pleased to be able to post again. Thank you to everyone who must have put in such a iot of time and effort into moving us to this new place.

I had a bit of a problem with squirrels (?) yesterday but that was soon sorted out. However, I decided to savour the moment and waited until today to post.

Anyway - so glad to be able to be here. Apparently I was very irritable during the close season and that was attributed to my inability to commune with you all.

So - hooray!
Morning PorFavor

Lovely to see you. Err I've heard of computer viruses and worms, but not before squirrels!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Welcome back PF.

Did you see the Independent piece last week about Rennard reportedly still helping Lib Dem candidates during his time in the wilderness ?

It mentioned he is a pal of [& had allegedly been advising him on Lib Dem candidacy stuff recently] of Gerald Vernon Jackson. Creeps together.

Yes. No big surprise there, eh?

But since you (nearly) mentioned him -

Did you read about Mike Hancock apparently being firmly back in harness and slaving away on behalf of his constituents although, strangely, his office in Portsmouth claims not to know where he is? How does that work, I wonder?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@PaulfromYorkshire

Hello, there!

It was some message citing sql(?) which said "squirrel" to me . . . .
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@PF

The mention of Hancock in the same sentence as 'harness' and 'slaving' rather conjures up something from his Portsmouth Lib Dem pal's adult 'parties' :whip:

[By pal I don't mean Rennard or Vernon Jackson [in case their lawyers are reading] but
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... rties.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:@PaulfromYorkshire

Hello, there!

It was some message citing sql(?) which said "squirrel" to me . . . .
:lol:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Welcome back PV, very nice to see you again.

As predicted, and predictably, I see Scottish business chiefs have come out against a 'yes' vote. From their viewpoint, it makes little sense, and I sympathise with their reasoning. I note that in both the Graun and the Torygraph, the response from 'yes' advocates is to refuse to listen and to steadfastly insist that independence makes sense when all the data points to the exact opposite.

No-one denies the right of Scots to become independent and to forge their own path. That's not the point, and to continue to insist that Scots have the right misses the point by a country mile. It's whether it's actually sensible for Scotland to do so. RR2's first link is an excellent article that knocks lumps out of Salmond's assertions about independence and points out, sweetly, that Salmond can have as many plans in his back pocket as he wishes regarding the currency. They all though require a monumental leap of faith and an adherence to the belief that rUK will go along with the SNP and that business and money markets will be benign and act in fashion of a kindly uncle.

Were I a Scot, that sort of thinking have see me packing my bags, scanning the jobs columns and putting the homestead on the market toot sweet.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Welcome back PV, very nice to see you again.

As predicted, and predictably, I see Scottish business chiefs have come out against a 'yes' vote. From their viewpoint, it makes little sense, and I sympathise with their reasoning. I note that in both the Graun and the Torygraph, the response from 'yes' advocates is to refuse to listen and to steadfastly insist that independence makes sense when all the data points to the exact opposite.

No-one denies the right of Scots to become independent and to forge their own path. That's not the point, and to continue to insist that Scots have the right misses the point by a country mile. It's whether it's actually sensible for Scotland to do so. RR2's first link is an excellent article that knocks lumps out of Salmond's assertions about independence and points out, sweetly, that Salmond can have as many plans in his back pocket as he wishes regarding the currency. They all though require a monumental leap of faith and an adherence to the belief that rUK will go along with the SNP and that business and money markets will be benign and act in fashion of a kindly uncle.

Were I a Scot, that sort of thinking have see me packing my bags, scanning the jobs columns and putting the homestead on the market toot sweet.
Hello!

I've been thinking about the Scottish currency thing for a while now. It seems to me (in an over-simplistic fashion) that Alex Salmond is saying that he would keep the word "pound" but its actual future definition is as yet unclear. A bit like saying that he'll keep the word "platypus" but which, in future, could be used as a label for, say, an armchair. Or, indeed, anything else as circumstances dictate.

Edited

Alex not Alec Salmond (a fact which I know perfectly well but, for some reason, often ends up incorrectly typed by me).
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 27 Aug, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning All!

Interesting allegations on Twitter about links between Cure the NHS, Patients First, AvMA and the Care Quality Commission.

Of course these are just allegations, but we have noted before the fact that the Chair of the CQC is former Tory MP, and son of Jim, David Prior.
Usual lack of response from any of those involved with Cure :roll:

It reminds me though - I understand that moving everything across is a mammoth task & in some sense, of little value but please can a special case be made for moving the 'members only' stuff in its entirety ? The work we put into collating then documenting the allegation around Mid-Staffs & the claims by Cure that don't stack up for instance, deserves to be moved here, not cast into the cyberspace wilderness.

The same goes for Roger's Education work.

Fingers crossed & all that ;)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning All!

Usual lack of response from any of those involved with Cure :roll:

It reminds me though - I understand that moving everything across is a mammoth task & in some sense, of little value but please can a special case be made for moving the 'members only' stuff in its entirety ? The work we put into collating then documenting the allegation around Mid-Staffs & the claims by Cure that don't stack up for instance, deserves to be moved here, not cast into the cyberspace wilderness.

Would it be worthwhile seeing if the original authors (eg RogerOThornhill, Temulkar - just names off the top of my head) have stuff, er, squirrelled away and could repost here? It might be worthwhile doing that sort of audit (although I appreciate that any attached comments to the original would be lost).
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:Welcome back PV, very nice to see you again.

I've always been of the opinion that Scotland would probably be OK if it gained independence, even if Scots would pretty soon have to face up to a bit of a fall in living standards and generally tougher times. However, some of the things I have read recently lead me to think that independence might end up being catastrophic. If Salmond's plan of defaulting on the first day of a new country is anything to go by, it seems the Nats want to dive over a cliff in the expectation that Westminster will relent and put down a crash mat. If I had been in the tentative 'yes' camp, I'd be moving towards 'no' pretty significantly.

I just saw a tweet which said something along the lines of 'The case for independence relies on the assumption that the SNP is much cleverer than the entire Irish political class'. Quite.
The devil's not just in the detail, in this case it's in the headline story. By all means be an independent country (for good or ill), but the 'yes' camp seem to believe that they can insist on a lot of stuff and that their threats aren't the equivalent of holding a gun their own heads and threatening to shoot if they don't get what they want.

I'm rather reminded of our glorious ronsealed bum-faced leader's attitude towards the EU.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Spacedone wrote:Calls this morning for South Yorkshire PCC Shaun Wright to resign because he was in charge of Children's Services at Rotherham Council between 2005 and 2010.

Hard to disagree, tbh.

Rotherham council is a basket case and has been for years. Needs to be a clearout of both officials and councillors IMO.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Calls this morning for South Yorkshire PCC Shaun Wright to resign because he was in charge of Children's Services at Rotherham Council between 2005 and 2010.

Hard to disagree, tbh.

Rotherham council is a basket case and has been for years. Needs to be a clearout of both officials and councillors IMO.
Morning all. Was it Rotherham which had the English Democrat mayor?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

danesclose wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Hard to disagree, tbh.

That was Doncaster IIRC
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

pk1 wrote: Usual lack of response from any of those involved with Cure :roll:

If someone sets up a section for Education I'm happy to recreate the threads I have that are there on the other place. I don't think there were too many replies...apart from my own additions...so not important if they don't come across.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Rotherham is an interesting constrast to Doncaster, actually. There, a previously complacent and at times corrupt Labour "fiefdom" *has* been reformed.

It can also be done next door if there is the will.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
pk1 wrote: Usual lack of response from any of those involved with Cure :roll:

If someone sets up a section for Education I'm happy to recreate the threads I have that are there on the other place. I don't think there were too many replies...apart from my own additions...so not important if they don't come across.
Features & Analysis and Education Matters have now been added to the main page.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

refitman wrote: Features & Analysis and Education Matters have now been added to the main page.
Oh excellent - I'll do some copying over later.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

pk1 wrote:
danesclose wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Hard to disagree, tbh.

That was Doncaster IIRC
Thanks. I often get those Southern towns confused :)
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

On Twitter this morning:

News & Star ‏@newsandstar 25m
Wildlife experts say the spread of red squirrels across Cumbria is the best to be found in any English county http://ow.ly/ALMKJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you go PF.

It probably was a squirrel :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ohsocynical

Hello!

Hope all's well. How are the eyes? Spike?

(I meant to ask yahyah about the situation on the cat front, too).

Sorry, I'm blathering . . .
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Here's a Telegraph report on the interview Faisal Islam did with Salmond I mentioned last night, it's worse than I thought, I only caught the end of it. Man leaves me cold with his jocular personality hiding his bullying tactics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... rview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome PF!
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Here's a Telegraph report on the interview Faisal Islam did with Salmond I mentioned last night, it's worse than I thought, I only caught the end of it. Man leaves me cold with his jocular personality hiding his bullying tactics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... rview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome PF!
And the basic questions remain unanswered. Who will underwrite the Scottish banks, borrowers and loans?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:On Twitter this morning:

News & Star ‏@newsandstar 25m
Wildlife experts say the spread of red squirrels across Cumbria is the best to be found in any English county http://ow.ly/ALMKJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you go PF.

It probably was a squirrel :)

Spike is very frail, but we're keeping him going while he still enjoys life.

Had a secondary lens fitted to my right eye ten days ago...Seems to be okay although I'm getting some funny flashes at times :shock:
Check up on Monday. Hope it hasn't gone wrong again, but I can see quite well which after seven years has been a shock. I'd forgotten until I looked out of the window last night, that there is colour even when it's dark.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@Por Favor

Thanks for asking...she is currently recovering from another bout of urinary problems, vet thinks her long term anti-inflammatory and thyroid medication side effects have taken their toll on her.

Her spirit is very strong for a 21 year old cat and the vet is happy that she is still destined for this world for a little longer, but if she hadn't responded to the treatment it would have been the end for her. Of course that time is nearing anyway.

Her condition mean we tend not to venture far from home, going to Aberystwyth tomorrow for the first time in ages.

OhSo - glad to hear Spike is soldiering on too & you are seeing benefit from your op.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Here's a Telegraph report on the interview Faisal Islam did with Salmond I mentioned last night, it's worse than I thought, I only caught the end of it. Man leaves me cold with his jocular personality hiding his bullying tactics.

Welcome PF!
And the basic questions remain unanswered. Who will underwrite the Scottish banks, borrowers and loans?

Don't be so negative :lol:

Seriously, with any important and irreversible decision in life who takes the leap without having some firm idea what the outcome will be ?

If I were Scottish I'd be fuming there are only going to be two options on the ballot paper.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Nice of Jim Pickard to remind us it is a year today that No 10 were briefing against Ed Miliband, the remember ''he's a fucking ****, and a copper bottom shit'' yeah, that opinion held well with what has happened in the ME during the last 12 months.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/a ... cour-assad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Unbelievably, there are still pundits trying to claim events in the past year proved Ed was wrong :lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Unbelievably, there are still pundits trying to claim events in the past year proved Ed was wrong :lol:
Aye, any day time soon he will be blamed for creating the IS.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Here's an interesting link that explains clearly the currency options and problems relating to Scottish independence. In fact, the whole site's full of interesting goodies, and is written by a Scottish business who I suspect is firmly in the 'no' camp. He does, though, at least explain why - in stark contrast to that nice Mr. Salmond.

http://chokkablog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0 ... metry.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Unbelievably, there are still pundits trying to claim events in the past year proved Ed was wrong :lol:
Aye, any day time soon he will be blamed for creating the IS.
No no, according to one of the kippers on Andrew's blog, IS is all down to Blair & Brown !
You have to hand it to Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, really. Killed any sense of stability in the Middle East, planted the seeds of ISIS *and* destroyed the Labour Party! Well, every cloud has a silver lining. Now, if we can just destroy the Conservatives, too, we will be all set.
http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/39925479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:roll: :toss:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Gordon sticking the boot in now, accusing the SNP of ''dining out'' on claims of equality while at the same time cutting corporation tax by 3p.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... verty.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ight-video

Is it any wonder the YES campaign has the momentum when national papers send out drivel like this.
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

I notice that with the new car tax changes you cannot transfer the tax disc to the new owner (the new owner has to pay for their own). You can claim back whole months of tax but this (on average) will raise 2 weeks of extra car tax every time a car is sold compared to the current system? I wonder if anyone has worked out a figure for the extra revenue per year.

On a more depressing point I see that the new badger targets have been announced http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28942468
The article mentions reducing badger numbers by 70% over 4 years - I thought it was 70% in one year.
Was the original research which gave the 70% figure over 4 years?
How have they decided on the original number of badgers?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

minch wrote:I notice that with the new car tax changes you cannot transfer the tax disc to the new owner (the new owner has to pay for their own). You can claim back whole months of tax but this (on average) will raise 2 weeks of extra car tax every time a car is sold compared to the current system? I wonder if anyone has worked out a figure for the extra revenue per year.
Glad all those Gordo stealth taxes are a thing of the past.