Thursday 28th August 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 28th August 2014

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Labour lead at 1 point on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 27th August -

Con 34%, (+1)
Lab 35%, (-2)
LD 7%, (-1)
UKIP 14%; (+1)

APP -24 (-3)
frightful_oik
Whip

Re: Thursday 28th August 2014

Post by frightful_oik »

App -3, Lab -2? That Lab number looks very low to me.
Morning all.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all.

Looks like it's a war of YES and NO businesses this morning - with Cameron sticking his penorth in. I wish he hadn't piped up just as the postal voting ballots were arriving on people's doorsteps.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Spectator ‏@spectator 10m
The nun who took down an Isis flag – and stands up for east London's Muslims: http://specc.ie/VRHV97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting tale re the flag - but the reasons given to explain why young Muslims might be tempted to join IS and other jihadi fighting groups abroad doesn't really hang together for me. Sister Christine Frost (who I have experience of working with) points to the lack of affordable housing in Poplar and the politics of division and envy created by the extremely wealthy of Canary Wharf living within spitting distance of the poorest and most overcrowded estates in the Docklands. Nothing she says however is new - this scenario has been the case for the poor white and Asian communities since back in the 80s. The lack of affordable housing has been further exacerbated by Right to Buy which when added to regeneration schemes was doubly dangerous. One big regeneration scheme I was involved with had real problems as the number of people who applied to buy their homes once they knew their estate was going to be done up was so large there would have been no money left to actually refurbish the properties (the £ re discounts etc comes from the same pot). Madness - where the state pays for properties to be done up - making them extra attractive to residents re Right To Buy because they can then sell them on at a very very hefty profit.
Working on the wild side.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning All!

Just thinking about the Referendum, does anyone know when the result is due, TV coverage and all that?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.
Call made for new investigation into Portsmouth South MP Mike Hancock’s behaviour (News)
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/ ... -1-6264604

It was kind of the News to write this article especially for me in order that I could post it here . . . .
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Morning.

I'm going to be cheeky & post a referral link to yougov. Any of you joining the panel will 'earn' me 400 points instead of the usual 200 so please, feel free to click & sign up - I will not be offended if none of you do :lol:

https://yougov.co.uk/account/register/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any of you that do sign up can get a £50 cheque for every 5000 points - takes ages to get to it but an unexpected bonus when you reach the milestone. There is no limit on the number of times you can earn the £50.

That's my sales pitch for today folks, thank you for listening. :D
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:Morning.

I'm going to be cheeky & post a referral link to yougov. Any of you joining the panel will 'earn' me 400 points instead of the usual 200 so please, feel free to click & sign up - I will not be offended if none of you do :lol:

https://yougov.co.uk/account/register/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any of you that do sign up can get a £50 cheque for every 5000 points - takes ages to get to it but an unexpected bonus when you reach the milestone. There is no limit on the number of times you can earn the £50.

Awwww would have, but already on yougov :)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Is it just me or are the Cure brigade struggling with this argument?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 09.26.50.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 09.26.50.png (125.69 KiB) Viewed 28813 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

So presumably the "system" that Labour created was in fact, despite all the screaming about Burnham being a murderer at Mid Staffs and the rest, fine?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

frightful_oik wrote:App -3, Lab -2? That Lab number looks very low to me.
Morning all.
YouGov have just changed their methodology I think to take into account the local/EU election results and it appears to be boosting the smaller parties. Not sure how sensible it is to have a methodology that factors the protest voting of local/EU elections into GE polling but then I'm not pollster...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.
Loving the mobile friendly version of the new home ☺

Damien Green appears to be avoiding criticising the PCC lack of sacking mechanism. Funny that.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

There you go, PK, have 400 points on me. Spend them wisely.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

55DegreesNorth wrote:

There you go, PK, have 400 points on me. Spend them wisely.
Thank you muchly :hug:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@pk1

Don't say I never give you anything . . . .
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

And it's 400 points from me, in health, wealth and wisdom.
The truth ferret speaks!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Thank you all so much - I'm genuinely touched :hug:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tory MP Douglas Carswell has defected to UKIP.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Tory MP Douglas Carswell has defected to UKIP.
Well that is their one MP until 2015. I wonder if Mad Nad will now go over the top, or wait until after the election.
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Well that is their one MP until 2015. I wonder if Mad Nad will now go over the top, or wait until after the election.
Well, as you subsequently say that depends if others follow his lead. It's not impossible.......
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Carswell is getting lots of kudos on twitter from all political commentators (incl our own Kevin McGuire :roll:) for his actions.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

pk1 wrote:Carswell is getting lots of kudos on twitter from all political commentators (incl our own Kevin McGuire :roll:) for his actions.
I guess in a way it's more honest than someone like Dan Hannan who simply carps about his party position on the EU but sits on his hands when it comes to doing anything about it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

pk1 wrote:Carswell is getting lots of kudos on twitter from all political commentators (incl our own Kevin McGuire :roll:) for his actions.
I think that might be because he's resigned his seat & is forcing a by-election, rather than just crossing the floor.
BTW I have signed up for YouGov - how do I make sure you get your 400 points?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ooh, now that is interesting!

I mentioned the other day that there was another Edu Select Committee on academies and free schools.

The line up has changed...
Witnesses
At 9.30am

Rt. Rev John Pritchard, Bishop of Oxford and Chair of the Church of England’s Board of Education
Sir Daniel Moynihan, Chief Executive Officer, Harris Federation
David Wolfe QC, Matrix Chambers
Vincent McDonnell, Managing Director of Prospects, representing Prospects Academies Trust
That's the trust who I wrote about a couple of months back which has decided to jack it in and which has schools miles away from its base in Bromley.

http://flythenest.freeforums.org/the-rise-and-fall-of-an-academy-chain-t1226.html

Hopefully there'll be some searching questions about the DfE's role in all this.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

danesclose wrote:
I think that might be because he's resigned his seat & is forcing a by-election, rather than just crossing the floor.
Yes I agree he's done the admiral thing of having the balls to allow the electorate a say on his actions.
BTW I have signed up for YouGov - how do I make sure you get your 400 points?
All you have to do is answer 5 surveys that they send to you. Thank you very much :hug:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Attended the excellent endoscopy unit at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading.
Was taken aback when I received a large envelope full of information about the procedure when the first page said the unit depended heavily on donations so any help would be appreciated.

Lovely staff, quickly seen, well treated.

Nothing too horrible. Digestive system is ulcerated due to years of taking thinners, and I have a sliding hiatus hernia.The bleed spot is nicely healed.
I don't think there's much more they can do. Have to see my GP on Monday, and he won't be much help but it aint gonna kill me. As Mr Ohso says: Praise the Lord and Pass the beer.

PS The sedative didn't work on me. Not even a second of light headed or giddy let alone memory lapse. I felt every damn thing and it was unpleasant and painful dammit! :roll: :D
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Incidentally, whoever has the Twitter account, can they put the link to my article above on Laura McInerney's tweet?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that possible?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Penny Mordaunt's career as Minister for Coastal Areas (or whatever the title is) is working well for the Conservatives, then.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:

Done. How do they know you referred me?
Thank you :D

The link is specifically created to identify each existing account. I will be keeping an eye on the yougov site though to ensure they credit the points in accordance with the number of posters here that said they joined up - just in case yougov 'lose' some of you..... ;)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'll give Carswell credit for forcing a by-election too.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

JohnnyT1234 is a little frustrated by the Graun's tolerance of Rustinpeace:
So, yesterday, the forum's arse reached a new low-of-all-time-lows in his dismal efforts to constantly wind everyone up. How is that possible, you may ask, when he's already scraped the bottom of the barrel so often here that it no longer even exists as a gossamer-thin analogy? By actively choosing to exploit the abuse of hundreds of children, that's how. Just so he could score the absolute cheapest of his crass, political non-points; and all to lead the regular posters - once again - on a merry little dance into the gutter of futile post/counter-post arguments about nothing remotely worth engaging with.

Just what was the Guardian's response to the unbelievable new low of this complete and utter bastard's reprehensible behaviour? Was it to: (a) delete all his abhorrent posts and ban this sick fuck for good or (b) to delete the thread where everyone else highlighted the abhorrence of his day's posting? You know, those posts where he actively exploited the abuse of children for his own delusional ends, just in case the moderators who will inevitably delete this post had forgotten.
Of course, it was (b). Yes, let's delete the thread and posts recommending no longer responding to the horrible, suppurating, pustule of a man, because that's what the Guardian's moderators are apparently for: to protect an utter fucking bastard who would willingly exploit news of the abuse of hundreds of children to troll this blog. Again. And again. And again.

Wake up Guardian mods. Wake. The. Fuck. Up.

[And will this post survive censorship? I'm 100% sure it is expressing the views of the vast majority of the people who frequently post BTL here, so of course it won't. We can't possibly have the views of the BTL users of this blog that ask for some basic improvements being expressed. That's just wrong in Guardian land and they must all be expunged... Comments from an obvious, fucking troll who is sick enough to bloody well exploit the news of hundreds of abused children purely so that he can wind people up, on the other hand, just have to stay.]
http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/40038832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:clap:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Net migration to UK soars by 39% to 243,000
Theresa May's vow to reduce Britain's net migration to under 100,000 in tatters after ONS says figure rose 68,000 in last year
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... heresa-may" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Post by discordantharmony »

That's done for you.

Love the new site BTW :) :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

✔ @UKIP
Follow

.@Nigel_Farage: with the news on @DouglasCarswell, "David Cameron might come back from holiday again."
11:48 AM - 28 Aug 2014 (from the Guardian)
That's actually quite amusing.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oh and waiting to book a doctor's appointment in the surgery when I came home from the hospital was one of Bracknell's Conservative councillors...He had a newspaper under his arm and was chatting to one of the receptionists [A snotty inefficient cow]

She said:
'Oh that's my favourite newspaper. It's the only one that tells it like it is.'

He said:
'It's mine too. I never miss a day.'

So I edged closer and checked it out...You'll never guess what it was --- The Daily Mail. :shock:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

discordantharmony wrote: That's done for you.
Thank you :D
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Ooh, now that is interesting!

I mentioned the other day that there was another Edu Select Committee on academies and free schools.

The line up has changed...
Witnesses
At 9.30am

Rt. Rev John Pritchard, Bishop of Oxford and Chair of the Church of England’s Board of Education
Sir Daniel Moynihan, Chief Executive Officer, Harris Federation
David Wolfe QC, Matrix Chambers
Vincent McDonnell, Managing Director of Prospects, representing Prospects Academies Trust
That's the trust who I wrote about a couple of months back which has decided to jack it in and which has schools miles away from its base in Bromley.

http://flythenest.freeforums.org/the-rise-and-fall-of-an-academy-chain-t1226.html

Hopefully there'll be some searching questions about the DfE's role in all this.
Vincent McDonnell has been in post since 2008.

Private sector- one failure, and you're out!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Net migration to UK soars by 39% to 243,000
Theresa May's vow to reduce Britain's net migration to under 100,000 in tatters after ONS says figure rose 68,000 in last year
(Guardian)
How we laughed!

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... heresa-may

By the way - when might we expect the water cannon decision?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hello, PF. Great to see you again!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

pk1 wrote:JohnnyT1234 is a little frustrated by the Graun's tolerance of Rustinpeace
Johnny is doing great work there, expressing the frustration that (obviously) quite a few feel about that loathsome piece of pond scum & his alter ego. Rusty's constant trolling and twitchy reporting finger is shutting down any meaningful debate on that thread; which is, I suspect, his intention.

Oh. Yes. Hi all. I finally made it.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

pk1 wrote:JohnnyT1234 is a little frustrated by the Graun's tolerance of Rustinpeace:
So, yesterday, the forum's arse reached a new low-of-all-time-lows in his dismal efforts to constantly wind everyone up. How is that possible, you may ask, when he's already scraped the bottom of the barrel so often here that it no longer even exists as a gossamer-thin analogy? By actively choosing to exploit the abuse of hundreds of children, that's how. Just so he could score the absolute cheapest of his crass, political non-points; and all to lead the regular posters - once again - on a merry little dance into the gutter of futile post/counter-post arguments about nothing remotely worth engaging with.

Just what was the Guardian's response to the unbelievable new low of this complete and utter bastard's reprehensible behaviour? Was it to: (a) delete all his abhorrent posts and ban this sick fuck for good or (b) to delete the thread where everyone else highlighted the abhorrence of his day's posting? You know, those posts where he actively exploited the abuse of children for his own delusional ends, just in case the moderators who will inevitably delete this post had forgotten.
Of course, it was (b). Yes, let's delete the thread and posts recommending no longer responding to the horrible, suppurating, pustule of a man, because that's what the Guardian's moderators are apparently for: to protect an utter fucking bastard who would willingly exploit news of the abuse of hundreds of children to troll this blog. Again. And again. And again.

Wake up Guardian mods. Wake. The. Fuck. Up.

[And will this post survive censorship? I'm 100% sure it is expressing the views of the vast majority of the people who frequently post BTL here, so of course it won't. We can't possibly have the views of the BTL users of this blog that ask for some basic improvements being expressed. That's just wrong in Guardian land and they must all be expunged... Comments from an obvious, fucking troll who is sick enough to bloody well exploit the news of hundreds of abused children purely so that he can wind people up, on the other hand, just have to stay.]
http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/40038832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:clap:
I do note, though, that a similarly unpleasant and gloating post by "feeling" in today's thread was quickly deleted......

(along with my reply, but still)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Tubby Isaacs

Hello - it's a relief and a pleasure to be able to be here!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
pk1 wrote:JohnnyT1234 is a little frustrated by the Graun's tolerance of Rustinpeace
Johnny is doing great work there, expressing the frustration that (obviously) quite a few feel about that loathsome piece of pond scum & his alter ego. Rusty's constant trolling and twitchy reporting finger is shutting down any meaningful debate on that thread; which is, I suspect, his intention.

Welcome, took you long enough - typical bloke :lol:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Hi Grimbo, glad you could make it.

His eloquently expressed frustration about the moderation on CiF is likely to be deleted I suspect, but it's a point well made and reflects my own disgust with how the Graun is going: let the right wing trolls in, posting as they wish and yet blast any opposing (balanced, non-mad) posts to perdition.

If Rusty turned up here, I'd say hello and let him set out his stall. A couple of strikes and he'd be gone for good.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://www.newstatesman.com/2013/10/whe ... s-are-down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carswell knocking out Tory memberships free with £10 fish supper, even to those who don't want them.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

pk1 wrote:Welcome, took you long enough - typical bloke :lol:
I was following your directions and missed the turning! ;)
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

pk1 wrote:Thank you all so much - I'm genuinely touched :hug:

I've just done it too - how do I know when you get your points?

There's nothing in the email from YouGov about it.....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Simon Price ‏@simon_price01 3h
More
Tell you what, if your summit requires turning a city centre into a military base, next time hold your summit in a military base.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ephemerid wrote:
pk1 wrote:Thank you all so much - I'm genuinely touched :hug:

I've just done it too - how do I know when you get your points?

There's nothing in the email from YouGov about it.....
Thank you :hug:

The points are added to my a/c after you have done 5 surveys which they email to you. You can express a preference to the kind of surveys you want - I selected politics & sport - bet that comes as a huge surprise to you guys..... :lol:
Last edited by pk1 on Thu 28 Aug, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Leftwing Jeremy Vine calling article by Allison Pearson brilliant. It seems to be called "who is the racist now?" or something.