FTNer Locator

refitman
Site Admin

FTNer Locator

Post by refitman »

Just want to get an idea of how broad a representation of the country we are (a general sense, no need for addresses :) ).

I'm in Wombwell, a little town in S Yorkshire, sandwiched betwen Barnsley and Sheffield.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: FTNer Locator

Post by LadyCentauria »

South West London, here.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

South Wales but not originally from here though part of my family is, have lived all over England (inc Penistone so I know Wombwell, hello refitman).
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Maidstone, Kent (a very safe Tory seat :cry: ) but only been here for about a year. Roots are South London, born in Bermondsey (where my grandfather was a docker and union pioneer) largely brought up in SW London.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

51A wrote:South Wales but not originally from here though part of my family is, have lived all over England (inc Penistone so I know Wombwell, hello refitman).
Hi 51A, another of the Welsh contingent then :D . My dad was borne in Wales and my mum grew up there, I'm originally from Bristol.
justamentalpatient
Backbencher

Post by justamentalpatient »

Nuneaton, North Warwickshire. The uncyclopedia entry says a lot about the place.

Not a local, though. Just live here.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

South East. Bracknell. Berkshire. In spitting distance of Ascot Racecourse, Windsor Castle.
Born just down the road from there in Reading.

1 great granny from Southern Ireland.
1 great, great, great granny from Wales.

Otherwise a pretty boring bunch of stop at homes almost exclusively in the South and South East going back generations.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Live near Aberaeron/Lampeter in Ceredigion, Wales.

Born in London to mum & dad both with Italian born parents from Northern Italy.

Moved to Cirencester with Yorkshire born husband, then downsized and retired early to Wales.

That's why I consider myself British, not English.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Arrived in Sunny Sussex from Scotland via Henley-on-Thames.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

W Cumbria, via Newcastle (university days) Lancashire and originally Gloucestershire - with brief stops at Bristol and S London along the way.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Have lived in a variety of places,NE Scotland,Malaya,Cyprus (dad was in RAF).Actually born in the South,but count myself as "Northern",now live in a village a few miles South of Chesterfield,and have done so for twenty years.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Stoke-on-Trent
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

The Wirral via Bootle, Glamorgan, Crete and Christchurch / Bournemouth.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

London,Scotland,N Yorks,Sunderland,La Bourboule,Gainsborough Lincs.
That's me,and seeing as I can't afford to move anywhere else,here I stay.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Rebecca wrote:London,Scotland,N Yorks,Sunderland,La Bourboule,Gainsborough Lincs.
La Bourboule looks rather lovely.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:
Rebecca wrote:London,Scotland,N Yorks,Sunderland,La Bourboule,Gainsborough Lincs.
La Bourboule looks rather lovely.
It is.Beautiful.The source of the Dordogne is only a few kilometres away,and runs through the town in icy beauty.So clean,full of fish,it sparkles.
The town is immaculate,no litter,graffiti or vandalism.An old fashioned carousel sits in front of the church from February to the end of August,can you imagine in the Uk?It would be wrecked in weeks.
The air is so clean there is a sanatorium for children with asthma about a kilometre up the mountain.
Municipal flowerbeds are a charming combination of fruit ,flowers and vegetables.When it snows the little ones all walk to the park with their teachers for snowshoe lessons.
Even the teenagers are polite,if you bump into them in the park after dark they say bonsoir madame.
Of course,my daughter hated it so we will never go back.
Dogs are allowed in non food shops,even the pharmacy.In fact ,the pharmacist came out to me one day as I was tying Charlie up and said to bring him in.
sad that I left.
Last edited by Rebecca on Thu 13 Nov, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Live in Shrewsbury, work in Wolvo.
I still believe in a town called Hope
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Born in The Rossall Nursing Home, Island Bank Road, Inverness (Danny, bloody, Alexander) in a room on the first floor which was later occupied by my Grannie (Elizabeth McNeil from Bara) when she decided she didn't want to be a burden to my Dad and his three Sisters, and to their combined horror gave up the third floor 2-roomed tenement flat in Hamilton Street, now the Marks & Spencer store, which they had secured after Grandad came back from the trenches.

My Dad, "Sonny" (James Richard after my Grandad) - even to the children in the family - because he was the youngest and only boy, slept on a campbed behind a curtain in the "lounge" whilst Daisy (Margaret), Betty (Elizabeth) and Molly (Mary-Helen) slept in the "other room" with Grannie and Grandad!

I loved 10 Hamilton Street with it's coal fire, kettle and pans steaming over it, and am taken back there whenever I catch the aroma of potatoes boiling and scotch broth on the go. Cosy, loving, comfortable, homely and safe.

What I didn't like was the darkness of the stairway and the frightening man on the second floor who always poked his head out through the door when I shouted up to my Dad from the ground floor lavatory (the only lavatory), "I'm done Daddy"! He had to come downstairs to get me!

Now I'm having a daily argument with myself. Do I up sticks and move to southern Spain or do I stay in Peterborough with friends? Next May could provide some pros and cons!

Dad in Royal Air Force for over 30 years so have lived in many places UK and overseas - the best being Singapore which I had good fortune to re-visit after 53 years just last June with over 70 other Forces Brats.

Dad bought first house in Peterborough when posted to Borneo unaccompanied so Peterborough, love it or hate it, is a "home" to me now as I've always returned to it from wherever I lived temporarily. I can "call it" and often do, but absolutely defend it from other people's attacks! Stewart Jackson is my MP so I expect sympathy!
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

That was lovely, giselle, really evocative. I don't know your age but wonder if you or your dad could have known my Husband No2 or his dad, both of whom were RAF and based in Changy(?) at some time.

As for Spain, go for it, you can always come back.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Giselle, you do indeed have my sympathy. I look back on my years in Peterborough with very little affection; it is an odd place, the city itself isn't bad (I loved the cathedral & museum, and Flag Fen is a gem) and there are some lovely places nearby ...... but, oh, some of the people. :wall: It is no surprise that somebody like Jackson could get elected (after all they put up with Mawhinney for years) and also no surprise that UKIP have found a home there. :-(

So you're an RAF Brat? That was largely the reason I ended up there, my (now ex-)wife was also a Brat, her father's final posting was Wittering and they settled in Peterborough.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Everybody knows
Backbencher

Post by Everybody knows »

Listening with the neeps. NE Scotland.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hi Everyone knows :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Everybody knows wrote:Listening with the neeps. NE Scotland.
Good to meet you. Are you going to post on the daily thread? It would be nice to hear your views :D
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Everybody knows
Backbencher

Post by Everybody knows »

Thanks yahyah

And ohsocynical. I doubt at the moment I will be posting much. My views are much like what Aneurin Bevan said in 1948 -

"That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin. They condemned millions of first-class people to semi-starvation. Now the Tories are pouring out money in propaganda of all sorts and are hoping by this organised sustained mass suggestion to eradicate from our minds all memory of what we went through. But, I warn you young men and women, do not listen to what they are saying now. Do not listen to the seductions of Lord Woolton. He is a very good salesman. If you are selling shoddy stuff you have to be a good salesman. But I warn you they have not changed, or if they have they are slightly worse than they were. "

Of course, Lord Woolton can be substituted to Cameron PR man. Hardly needs pointing out.

I may post on the daily thread, but I really am slow at responding. Paranoid too, as the bastards really have ground me down. Well, have been a bit crazy without their help too, but I am only human.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Everybody knows

Belated greetings. :D
Agree with you and Bevan
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Toon, obviously, but via Cricklewood and Ochiltree.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

For those who have missed my comments on the 'delights' of having Jacob Rees-Mogg for my MP, I'm from North-East Somerset, close to both Bath and Bristol.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Although I'm sure everyone knows by now from my posts, I live just north of Bury, Lancashire, having been brought up in the Northwich area of Cheshire (chemicals/salt/steel town then, believe it or not...). After getting hitched to MsRemarx, we set up home in Rusholme and then Longsight (both Manchester, obvs), before finally moving here in 2000. If you ever plan a visit to Bury, PM me and I'll be happy to show you the sights...
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

South Derbyshire, home of the shy Tory
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

utopiandreams wrote:South Derbyshire, home of the shy Tory
Not so shy these days, I suspect.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"