Effect of claiming carers allowance on Attendance allowance

Share personal experiences or ask general benefit-related queries
refitman
Site Admin

Effect of claiming carers allowance on Attendance allowance

Post by refitman »

Tizme wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone know, what money gets stopped from a disabled pensioners attendance allowance if a carer claims carers allowance for them? This care is additional to the personal care paid for by the local council but would claiming carers allowance affect that 'personal care'? Is anyone aware of any other effects claiming carers allowance would have on the disabled pensioner?

Thanks.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Effect of claiming carers allowance on Attendance allowa

Post by refitman »

parrotkeeper wrote:

Does anyone know, what money gets stopped from a disabled pensioners attendance allowance if a carer claims carers allowance for them? This care is additional to the personal care paid for by the local council but would claiming carers allowance affect that 'personal care'? Is anyone aware of any other effects claiming carers allowance would have on the disabled pensioner?

Thanks.
I'm not entirely sure but I don't think any money would be stopped because the payment is to the carer in recompense for care given to that person.

Had a quick look around & came up with nothing more that what seems to be a handy site for you. It says they have a benefits calculator so might be worth a try.

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/help-with-money/benefits-a-tax-credits
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ephemerid wrote:

Thanks.

Hi Tizme.

This is not my area of expertise, but there is a good guide at http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/guide-to-ben ... or-someone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot depends on whether the pensioner gets DLA, and how many hours of care is given by the CA claimant.

If there is any change in income perceived to be household income, the local authority must be informed.
If the pensioner concerned has a key or social worker - and probably will if they have a local authority care package - it's best to contact them and they should be able to sort it out.

Sorry I can't be more help.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

HindleA wrote:

Thanks.

Hi,can only answer about us and my understanding.

My receivership of CA does not reduce my better half's allowances ,or the help she/we get.Indeed,if you think about it,the need for at least thirty five hours of help strengthens the case for local authority support.Local authorities are obliged to make a care assessment both for the "caree" but also for the carer,the latter legally has to account for work,education or leisure needs.This is the still the case if not related or living in the same household.Level of income is irrelevant in such assessments/decisions.The carer may get support in their own right.Presumably the former was carried out for the pensioner you mention according to eligibility criteria under Fair Access To Care Services guidance (each council proffers help at different thresholds)and having reached that threshold support was put in place.Councils may charge for this,according to guidance and their own particular regime,I am assuming that the pensioner is therefore not charged.If the financial situation remains unchanged that should still be the case.

To clarify that is my understanding and how it worked for us,please as others have said seek advice,hope that helps.regards.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tizme wrote:Thank you Parrotkeeper, ephemerid, and HindleA!

I did read your replies a couple of days ago but the last few days have been mad so this is the first chance I've had to reply. Your comments and the linked websites are very helpful.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

clouty wrote:I guess you found the answer on NIdirect, but anyway. If the person with Attendance Allowance was also in receipt of Severe Disability Premium, about £61 a week this year, then that would be lost if someone claimed carers for them - Carer's allowance is exactly the same amount as SDP.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tizme wrote:
clouty wrote:I guess you found the answer on NIdirect, but anyway. If the person with Attendance Allowance was also in receipt of Severe Disability Premium, about £61 a week this year, then that would be lost if someone claimed carers for them - Carer's allowance is exactly the same amount as SDP.
Hi Clouty,

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure of the breakdown of the AA. The total is around £80 Does that sound likely to include the £61 SDP? It would kind of make sense if it does as the person concerned is indeed severely disabled.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

clouty wrote:No it doesn't: since April AA rates are higher = £81.30 and lower = £54.45 so I don't think they're getting SDP :(
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tizme wrote:
clouty wrote:No it doesn't: since April AA rates are higher = £81.30 and lower = £54.45 so I don't think they're getting SDP :(

Thanks Clouty. I imagine the notification of the award of AA would show if the SDP was being paid?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

clouty wrote:Do you know, I don't know :o So I looked it up. SDP is paid only on top of income-replacement benefits, in this case Pension Credit, and the Pension Credit statement should show it. Attendance Allowance is the qualifying benefit. If your pensioner isn't getting Pension Credit then no SDP. I might have given you the wrong end of the stick. A lot depends on the financial circs of the person, including having to chip in if they had carer's allowance paid to another for social care from the council too.
Severe Disability Premiums
Pension Credit