Monday 19th July 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 19th July 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 19th July 2021

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good morning.

It is quite warm where we are...

In other news, how shocked are we to read this on a scale of 1-10?

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Was that Ayn Rand tweet last night an attempt to "own" self confessed fan Sajid Javid?

I realise that alternative explanations are available.....
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Mon 19 Jul, 2021 8:49 am Was that Ayn Rand tweet last night an attempt to "own" self confessed fan Sajid Javid?

I realise that alternative explanations are available.....
From what I've heard, yes it was. I think it can be classed as a monumental fuck up as well.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

A classic of the "too clever for its own good" variety, yes.

It might help a bit if so many people didn't automatically assume the very worst explanation of literally everything, though.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

So far I've had an e-mail from Tescos to say masks and other covid measures are staying and a text from my GP surgery saying the same thing. So much for "freedom day". Not so much freedom from restrictions for individuals as freedom from responsibility for the government, as they run away on their hols leaving a big, fat mess in their wake.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote: Mon 19 Jul, 2021 9:29 am So far I've had an e-mail from Tescos to say masks and other covid measures are staying and a text from my GP surgery saying the same thing. So much for "freedom day". Not so much freedom from restrictions for individuals as freedom from responsibility for the government, as they run away on their hols leaving a big, fat mess in their wake.
Went into local town earlier to pick up a couple of bits and masks were still being worn by some outside, and by a fair number inside M&S.

Not sure what people really expected to happen given the data that is coming out.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Isn't the official supermarket line "masks are no longer legally compulsory, but we still recommend that you wear one"?
frog222
Speaker of the House

Post by frog222 »

Surely shops, similar to bars etc are private property and they can decide who comes in ?
frog222
Speaker of the House

Post by frog222 »

I'm impressed by how very easy it is to organise a Twitter witch hunt, often based on the first twit which misleads on what is to follow .
So it's a CRIME to quote Ayn Rand, because one is presumed to be a devotee, even tho the quote in question was very apt .
I swiftly checked Karen Buck, and tho she was never a Corbynista, nor was she an outright enemy like some--

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/wes ... -manifesto

Some of the positioning on this supposed leak looks plain wrong , but I haven't followed so many MP's as some of you --

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 47481.html
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

frog222 wrote: Mon 19 Jul, 2021 11:56 am Surely shops, similar to bars etc are private property and they can decide who comes in ?
I think the point is that none of the mainstream stores are in a rush to encourage mask-free shoppers, because a free for all will put off more customers than it attracts. People don't feel safe enough to dispense with precautions which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of government policy let's face it.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222 wrote: Mon 19 Jul, 2021 12:07 pm I'm impressed by how very easy it is to organise a Twitter witch hunt, often based on the first twit which misleads on what is to follow .
So it's a CRIME to quote Ayn Rand, because one is presumed to be a devotee, even tho the quote in question was very apt .
I swiftly checked Karen Buck, and tho she was never a Corbynista, nor was she an outright enemy like some--

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/wes ... -manifesto

Some of the positioning on this supposed leak looks plain wrong , but I haven't followed so many MP's as some of you --

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 47481.html
To be fair to people, she posted a Rand quote with no context. Maybe she should take lessons from Zarah Sultana for next time.
frog222
Speaker of the House

Post by frog222 »

RFM -- so if i post a quote from Goebbels I have to go to great lengths to say I'm not a sympathiser ?
Twitter really is a place for going off half-cock !

Too hot to work, off to attempt to find another drive-belt for my rotoscythe . That wet week has made my grass too long to mow .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Wonderful.

You like the heat don't you PF, I hate it.

We've got roofers here and I keep having to go outside to talk about what they're doing.
Met Office said it would be a bit cooler here today but they lied.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

It doesn't seem to have attracted much attention but Guto Harri did actually quit GB News.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/ ... -time-show
In his letter Harri writes: “You took me off air for backing the England football team making a simple public statement against racism while arguing that GB News is about celebrating the best of Britain, defending free speech, having the debates others won’t have and combatting the cancel culture. You are intelligent enough to see what an absurd parody of that your station has become.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Maybe to be replaced by one K T Hopkins? I do believe she may have some time on her hands soon.
frog222
Speaker of the House

Post by frog222 »

Came a bit late to it, but Novara Media have two STARS on this evening ,, Deepti Gurdasani and Ash Sarkar !

Love 'em both

frog222
Speaker of the House

Post by frog222 »

Was he one of the good Corbinites who couldn't stand the organisational chaos any more ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So who did Farage have as guests - anyone decide to tune in?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So much for 'Freedom day'.

I've just come down on the train from the Borders and there were more people wearing masks than on any rail journey I'd made previously, walking through Leeds to catch the bus it was pretty quiet and all the pubs and bars I passed were half empty. Mind you, it is a Monday night. Nearly everyone was wearing a mask on the bus as well.

Now I want to go back up there because it was about 5 degrees cooler.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Torsten Bell, chief executive of the Resolution Foundation, said: “Tax rises will be needed to deliver decent social care, but a national insurance rise is a terrible way to raise the funds required. It’s a tax disproportionately loaded on to younger and lower-paid workers, compared to a fairer rise in income tax.

“Why we would target a tax rise on the groups who have been hardest hit by the economic impact of this pandemic, while exempting older and wealthy individuals, is completely beyond me.”
I'm sure Torsten Bell knows very well why. It's beyond me why he won't say it.
Disproportionately loaded on to younger and lower-paid workers? Just the ticket.
Lower than vermin.

Ministers mull national insurance rise to fund social care
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I was watching the 'local' BBC News while up North and today to guage the North East public's reaction to restrictions being lifted they were in Hartlepool. Again. Have journalists found themselves trapped there after the by-election? Or is Hartlepool now regarded to be some kind of bellwether town? Our views on a pandemic discerned through the witless ramblings of its hideous inbred denizens? Our political attitudes assessed by interviewing cackling toothless crones outside a grim looking chip shop where you know the chips are going to be greasy and flaccid?

This needs to stop.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And don't think that I haven't noticed that while I've been away the standard of conversation on this forum has improved dramatically.