Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th July 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th July 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th July 2023

Post by refitman »

Uh-oh
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Totally shocking and unforeseen development there.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

If you're on twitter, check your settings
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

He's not wearing his dog collar!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sat 15 Jul, 2023 2:47 pm He's not wearing his dog collar!
Almost like he's not an actual vicar. :roll:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

You will *not* be prepared for this
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Just a reminder that Parris is a dick
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Soggy and draughty in Normandy too, lit stove with fallen twigs :-)

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Tough guy school administrator relying on exclusions and shaming children is the obvious Tory choice for ofsted -

The zero-tolerance head set to become the next Ofsted chief
The government’s pick for chief inspector must appear before the education select committee as part of the appointment process, but the committee’s objections in previous cases — including in the choice of Spielman — have never stopped the government’s chosen candidate from being appointed.

This weekend a source close to the Department for Education (DfE) said: “This appointment could be seen as leaving a landmine for an incoming Labour government. Head teachers in the north of England who have had to accept pupils excluded from Outwood Grange academies into their schools are already expressing their concerns.

“Oliver will also have to face MPs on the select committee before his appointment is ratified and I expect some may ask him — ‘do you think racism is a thing?’ Accepting a role on that commission and backing that race report was a hostage to fortune. Labour will come under pressure to replace him if they win the next election.”
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the- ... -32b35pvfd
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Bloody unreal photo, see thread !

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Talked with a slightly older retired GP friend a few weeks ago about the arrival of the polio vaccine . He also remembered it well, plus the two deaths from measles and one from polio at his various schools .
US CDC -- " The virus is transmitted by direct contact with infectious droplets or by airborne spread when an infected person breathes, coughs, or sneezes. Measles virus can remain infectious in the air for up to two hours after an infected person leaves an area."
https://www.cdc.gov/measles/hcp/index.html

According to the UK Health Security Agency measles is not airborne IE an aerosol --

Coming next from Jenny Harries -

"Wash your hands to protect against asbestosis"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

*Is* that actually an AI photo? Wouldn't put anything past the Tories these days.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 16 Jul, 2023 1:01 pm *Is* that actually an AI photo? Wouldn't put anything past the Tories these days.
Nah. The hospital (which is misnamed) is in Northallerton in Sunak's Richmond constituency which has voted Conservative for its entire existence. So no need for AI shenanigans, those a North Yorkshire Tory nurses who undoubtedly voted for him.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Come on Alcaraz, destroy that covid denying, anti-vax prick.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Keir should really have a word with this Keir person, over his support of inhuman policies

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

For once (?) I agree with you, there was really no need for Starmer to say this.

Even the usual "can't commit on specifics at this stage" waffle would have been preferable.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 16 Jul, 2023 1:01 pm *Is* that actually an AI photo? Wouldn't put anything past the Tories these days.
You can tell it's not 'actual' AI - the hands are normal.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sun 16 Jul, 2023 1:55 pm Come on Alcaraz, destroy that covid denying, anti-vax prick.
:clap:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Much as I loathe Wimbledon as a tournament I must admit that was one hell of a men's final and we got the right result in the end. Yay!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sun 16 Jul, 2023 7:13 pm Much as I loathe Wimbledon as a tournament I must admit that was one hell of a men's final and we got the right result in the end. Yay!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I mean, is Andrew Castle ever right about anything?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Bangkok Dangerous

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814022/

This one's a remake of a Thai original which was apparently really good, I remember this being mocked by critics at the time but I must say I rather enjoyed it. Maybe it was the decent budget and cool Thai stuff but I thought it was a lot of fun.

A somewhat beefy Nicolas Cage in a ridiculous wig plays a hitman out for one last big pay day before he retires. He informs us at the start that he has four rules...

One: Don't ask questions. Two: Don't take an interest in people outside of work. Three: Erase every trace. Four: Know when to get out.

He then proceeds to immediately ignore every single one of these rules as he falls in love with a deaf and dumb chick who works at the local Chemist and takes on a protege. Despite Cage being a merciless international assassin the protege somehow inspires him to be good, which ultimately leads to Cage going on a killing spree where he shoots, blows up, or stabs about 50 bad guys all by himself.

Compared to most of the Cage nonsense I've sat through this one is high art. Sure it's dumb and his character's behaviour makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but it had elephants, cool temples, dancing girls, and an awesome floating market boat chase. Despite the use of a near monochrome filter throughout (presumably to instil a noir effect) Thailand still looks vibrant and colourful.

On the Cageometer I'd give it a 7/10.

5 for the film plus 2 for the wig.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sun 16 Jul, 2023 1:50 pm
Nah. The hospital (which is misnamed) is in Northallerton in Sunak's Richmond constituency which has voted Conservative for its entire existence. So no need for AI shenanigans, those a North Yorkshire Tory nurses who undoubtedly voted for him.
Well tbf not everybody votes Tory there, though it is true the last non-Tory MP was a Liberal elected in their final hurrah of 1906.

A while earlier it had a Whig MP, the marvellously monickered Maramduke Wywill - also one of the world's best chess players in the mid 19th C.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

economic growth, investment and wealth creation will be the “only show in town”
I find this part of Starmer's 'strategy' as worrying as the adherence to austerity, if not more so. Decades out of date and wholly inappropriate in the current circumstances. We know he knows sfa about economics but the entirety of 30-40 years of climate science also appears to have passed him by.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I thought Djokovic smashing his racket on the net post was the best thing he did all match. I don't like the guy but it showed he's as human as the rest of us. What it made me wonder was how much that racket was worth. I assumed in total ignorance that he'd just smashed at least a grands worth of equipment but google tells me the rackets he uses 'only' cost a couple of hundred quid.

At least the denizens of Wimbledon can go home now. I remember last year reading that everyone who lives there buggers off for the tournament and puts their abode up on Airbnb. One would hope they don't come back to strawberries, cream, and Pimm's puked all over their favourite rug. That would be awful.

I shall miss not seeing brief shots of random celebs or fat drunk upper middle class women who've been out in the sun too long. They really do add to the feculent melange of grotesque privilege that Wimbledon represents. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against tennis. Just the Wimbledon crowd and the BBC coverage of them.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 16 Jul, 2023 10:40 pm Well tbf not everybody votes Tory there, though it is true the last non-Tory MP was a Liberal elected in their final hurrah of 1906.

A while earlier it had a Whig MP, the marvellously monickered Maramduke Wywill - also one of the world's best chess players in the mid 19th C.
A splendid monicker indeed.

Have you been to North Yorkshire? It's all bunting and brass bands. The tweet implied something Wagnerian was going on with Sunak surrounded by white blonde Valkyries, but the truth is a lot of these places like Pateley Bridge are more akin in their blonde whiteness to villages of the damned with shit oompah music. Not a black or brown face to be seen while the declining inbred population look to outdo each other running expensive cafes charging a tenner for a cuppa and a cheese scone. Absolute shitholes to be avoided at all costs unless you happen to be white, rich, and fond of the sound of parping tubas.

I appreciate not everyone in North Yorkshire votes Tory but there were six or seven nurses in that photo and I would imagine Northallerton hospital is pretty big so it wouldn't be that hard for Sunak to collect a small gaggle of admirers. Hopefully the rest told him to fuck off.

Anyway, Gilsey is the one to ask, she lives closer to all that nonsense than me or Refitman.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote: Sun 16 Jul, 2023 10:57 pm I find this part of Starmer's 'strategy' as worrying as the adherence to austerity, if not more so. Decades out of date and wholly inappropriate in the current circumstances. We know he knows sfa about economics but the entirety of 30-40 years of climate science also appears to have passed him by.
Alongside this place I also post on the Scope forum in regard to mental health issues and benefits and I've made myself unpopular recently pointing out that despite widespread wishful thinking if Labour get into power they're going to do nothing for those of us reliant on benefits. It's actually a horrible thing to have to do to crush the hopes of sick, desperate people, but if it pleases some thick brexit dickheads in Bishop Auckland then I guess it's a price worth paying.